Turn on thread page Beta

what do you gain from being in a relationship? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    or how neurotic and demanding of attention the female is.
    Doesn't that beg the question of whether you should be in a relationship if you consider your girlfriend to be like that?

Call me old fashioned, but I'm of the opinion that if you're in a relationship, particularly a long-term one, each party should be totally and utterly in love. This should probably involve thinking your partner is the most beautiful thing to walk the Earth.
    At least, that's how I feel about my boyfriend. And I've been led to believe my feelings are reciprocated.

ReputationRep:
    Been in a relationship for 4 years and I don't know. How sad is that. There are loads of plus points for being in a relationship but when I think of them I realise that I still don't have that, even with a boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    it's probably best not to ask a bitter cow like me.

i've just read through all these responses, remembering and agreeing with all the lovely 'plus points'. however, i do think that you gain more 'personally' from the end of a relationship/being single - because it teaches you cruel hard lessons like how to be on your own, how to deal with your own problems, how every relationship is ultimately just a passing phase until we get too old/ugly to bother moving on to anyone else. :rolleyes:

no, i kid. but seriously, relationships are lovely and there's lots to be gained from them (most of which has already been pointed out) but i really do think you have to be happy in and by yourself in order for it to ultimately work out. in hindsight, really realising that was probably the biggest thing i gained from my last one!

ReputationRep:
    Sex on tap tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Oral Sex on tap tbh.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing better than being able to share everything with somebody you love, and that feeling of being loved back. Then of course there's the emotional supprt, and the physical side of things too. But I feel I only gain these things because I'm with someone who's right for me, if you're willing to go out with just anybody, you won't gain a thing.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been in very serious relationships (nothing lasting more than a couple of months :sigh: )
    But to your question of 'teenage relationships', I'd say i loved having someone who won't judge you after a certain period of time of being together, a person you could lean on when times are not great; being very close to someone, not just the physically, but emotionally as well. Oh and someone who is on the same 'wavelength' as you :p:

Sure most of the time the physical aspect of the relationship is valued highly, but a guy/girl can dress up, chat up someone and get the sex after a night out.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.