The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anonymous
thats a pretty good idea, although I know that they'll keep trying to convince me not to go. I'm actually from the West Midlands and I want to go to the university of Newcastle. I've already been to the admissions day and when I asked them to go, they weren't too keen on travelling all the way to Newcastle on a Saturday and they were going somewhere on that day anyway.

ah wicked i went to newcastle it was awesome :smile: its a wicked city so stand your ground! sounds like they're being a bit childish not wanting to come and see where you want to go. at the end of the day you can do your best to reassure them that you'll be happy and try and persuade them to be happy for you but if you cant you'll just have to live with the fact that they might be in a bit of a huff for a while but you know what they can't be annoyed at you for 3 years :smile:

it you do go to newcastle go for ricky road accomodation - its closest to town and has the best sort of social atmosphere :smile: im excited for you newcastle is the best!
Maybe try showing them how prepared you are? Like spontaneously start doing some housework or preparing a meal or casually mention how your savings are mounting up or something; show them that just because you're the youngest, it doesn't mean you're irresponsible and incapable of looking after yourself. :smile:
You're the one who's going to be studying there for at least the next few years, so pick the one you really wanted to go to; it's not your parents' decision.

You can understand where they're coming from though. You're the youngest and they won't want you to leave home at all I bet, but it's going to happen at some point.
Do whatever you want to do. Four hours isn't even that much, I applied to a uni in Scotland and haven't told my parents yet! If I get accepted and I firm it, I think I may be in little bit of trouble :p: But it's okay, as long as you explain to your parents that you'll be fine and you'll promise to keep in contact, they shouldn't worry. Good luck OP :smile:
Anonymous
I understand that and I will go to the university I want but its more a question of how do I get my parents to accept it. I dont want them to try and stop me from going to university or upset them or anything although i guess its inevitable that they will miss me.

when the time comes i dont think they will really try and stop you, they have already sent off their others to uni without hassle
WhySoLimey
when the time comes i dont think they will really try and stop you, they have already sent off their others to uni without hassle

I think it's exactly this. They're probably just making a fuss because you're the youngest.
yeah your parents obviously love you a lot
so in the end i think they will let you move out, but might be unhappy about it
but once they see that you're happy and coping on your own, they'll be fine.
so it might take a bit of time and you might have to make a hard decision and go against their wishes and make them slightly unhappy.
but in the long run everything will work out once they are reassured that you're ok.
coz that's all they really seem to want.

Latest

Trending

Trending