The Student Room Group

Marks & Spencer recruitment thread

I read in the jobcentre that the local M&S were looking for people who can work temporary on weekends. So I posted my CV to them.
And after 4 days I got a letter of them saying this, the bits I dont understand I've made bold. If someone could explain to me their whole screening job process, I would be ever so grateful.

Dear Miss S,
Thank you for providing us with your CV for consideration.
Marks and Spencer recruit using an initial screening process.
To apply or find out more, visit www.marksandspencer.com
Please have the following to hand when completing your application:
Your national Insurance no.
Name and address of 2 referees
Aprox. 20 minutes to spare, answering some important questions about your talents.
Good Luck.

1) What do they mean when they say please have the following to hand (do they mean when/if they ring me then?)
2) Could someone please give me the answers to the talent questions. I did them ages ago and I failed it, lol.

Thanks.

Love BlueAngel xxx

Scroll to see replies

Sorry, I just checked again, they do have my town on their website, so I'm gonna apply through there,

BUT PLEASE PLEASE COULD SOMEONE give me the answers to those 30 talent questions. Either pm me, put them in here, or email them to me to [email protected]. let me know asap. Thanks.
Reply 2
When I applied for Marks and Spencer I basically had to do an interview over the phone. You have to ring up a number, I'm not sure what it is, but it may be online, or go and ask your local store.

My sister is currently trying to apply and now it seems they want you to go through a process online first. However, if your local store isn't on the list (this is the same for my sister) go and get the recruitment number and explain to them on the phone. If there are definitely positions available then there should be no problem.

Or failing that, ask to speak to someone in your local store. The initial screening process I think is the online/telephone interview. You have to get through that first before you have a proper interview.

The things you need to hand is for when you apply online, or if you have a telephone interview. But keep pestering them, cos they can be a pain sometimes. If you get no look with the recruitment telephone number, then go to your local store.

Good luck xx
I did the talent screening thing, however this time it was different, so I just chose the ones that they would probably want. Last time I did it, they told me to wait for an email which would tell you if you passed it or not. But this time, they told me this:

Thank you for applying to Marks & Spencer.

Congratulations on successfully completing our online talent screen. The next part of the process involves an instore assessment. Please telephone 0845 300 3725 selecting option 2 to talk to one of our advisors and arrange a convenient time.

Once again, thank you for applying.

Recruitment Department, Marks & Spencer
Does this mean Ive passed the talent questionnaire? and does the instore assesment mean an interview????

Medusa
BlueAngel
I did the talent screening thing, however this time it was different, so I just chose the ones that they would probably want. Last time I did it, they told me to wait for an email which would tell you if you passed it or not. But this time, they told me this:

I just rang them up like they told me to, and they said my application wasnt successful :confused: they asked me if I'd received an email, and I hadnt recieved any. Then why did their website tell me I was successful and give me a number to arrange an interview???? :mad:
Reply 6
how much do they pay per hour ?
r_raghav11
how much do they pay per hour ?

I think its high, I'm not sure. I dont care really, as long as its either minimum wage or above.
Reply 8
but sounds like a complicated process for a PT job!
Reply 9
I'm starting my part time job at Marks and Spencers next week. When i passed the telephone questions i was put straight through to the marks and spencers' recruitment centre who set up the store interview which involves an interview and talking to customers. They pay me 4.56 which is quite good as im 16. Good luck x :smile:
i agree:confused:
xxpinkaxx
I'm starting my part time job at Marks and Spencers next week. When i passed the telephone questions i was put straight through to the marks and spencers' recruitment centre who set up the store interview which involves an interview and talking to customers. They pay me 4.56 which is quite good as im 16. Good luck x :smile:

So you didnt apply online?

TO THOSE WHO APPLIED ONLINE AND WERE SUCCESSFUL AND GOT CALLED FOR AN INTERVIEW, LET ME KNOW, I NEED TO CHAT TO U. THANKS.
Random one
i agree:confused:

I think that woman on the floor sounded like a right bitch. Why would I be successful and then a website gives me the number to arrange an interview, and then I'm not successful :confused: :confused:

:bawling:
who needs marks and spencers when there's always thorntons :rolleyes: hmmm:smile:
I think I'm gonna die, so much bad luck has happened to me this summer.
Reply 15
no, i applied by phone. I went into the shop and they gave me the marks and spencers recruitment centre's number to ring.
Reply 16
Hi,

I have an interview with M & S on Tuesday and was wondering how yours went. Could you give me some tips please?

Sharlaq :tsr:

Smiley_Me
When I applied for Marks and Spencer I basically had to do an interview over the phone. You have to ring up a number, I'm not sure what it is, but it may be online, or go and ask your local store.

My sister is currently trying to apply and now it seems they want you to go through a process online first. However, if your local store isn't on the list (this is the same for my sister) go and get the recruitment number and explain to them on the phone. If there are definitely positions available then there should be no problem.

Or failing that, ask to speak to someone in your local store. The initial screening process I think is the online/telephone interview. You have to get through that first before you have a proper interview.

The things you need to hand is for when you apply online, or if you have a telephone interview. But keep pestering them, cos they can be a pain sometimes. If you get no look with the recruitment telephone number, then go to your local store.

Good luck xx
Reply 17
Sharlaq
Hi,

I have an interview with M & S on Tuesday and was wondering how yours went. Could you give me some tips please?

Sharlaq :tsr:

Act yourself, and make up an absolute load of crap. That's how I got in.

No on a serious note, they ask you stuff about teamwork and things, and then you get taken down on to the shop floor to talk to the customers.

Oh and I get paid £5.30 an hour (I'm 18) and when I was younger it was £4.60. In October there will no longer be an under 18's rate and everyone will be paid £5.70.
Reply 18
I've done the online application with the talent screening. It wasnt that hard, but some of the questions were tricky, they were that type that didnt have a right or wrong answer. After i done that, they said my application passed the screening and gave a number to call to organise an interview, but i wrote down the number and lost it :rolleyes: .
Reply 19
is the recruitment line number for M&S one to ring up to ask for general vacancies and then complete the questionnaire, or do you need to know if there are vacancies in the store you're applying to before you ring up?

Latest

Trending

Trending