The Student Room Group

Good books on memory?

Hi! So, I'm really interested in the subject of memory, and I'd like to read more about it. I'm not much of an expert to be honest - we touched on it in Psychology, but that's about it - and I'd really like to read more about it. I'm also interested in that particular area of psychology, although I'm not sure what it's called. Is it psychology? Neuropsychology? Neuroscience? I'm a bit confused by it, but I really want to start fostering my interest in it with some good reading. It's something I'm thinking of doing as a career later on, maybe in research, but before I decide anything I want to find out more about it.

Anyway, basically I have no idea where to start reading, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any particularly good books on the subject? And maybe shed a bit of light on what area memory actually falls into? Thanks in advance!
(Sorry if this is in the wrong place by the way, I was unsure of where to post.)
The Making of Memory: From Molecules to Mind by Steven Rose is apparently very good.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Making-Memory-Molecules-Mind/dp/0099449986/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274989456&sr=8-1

Based on a relatively old book, but now recently revised.

Memory is quite a big concept that is approached in a variety of different ways, but broadly speaking it falls under Cognitive Psychology or Cognitive Neuroscience. I have a tonne of research papers on the molecular/cellular basis of memory if that's up your alley?
Reply 2
Oh yes there was one.... now what was it called??? :biggrin:
osbaldwick
Oh yes there was one.... now what was it called??? :biggrin:

Terrible. Absolutely terrible.
Your memory: and how to improve it (kenneth higbee) - more of a psychological pov
Learn to remember (dominic o brien) - techniques more than anything
tricks of the mind (derren brown) - if youre into him its quite interesting
I think OP is after academic books.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
eysenck and keane - cognitive psychology a student's handbook- i found that good.
GodspeedGehenna
I think OP is after academic books.

Still, 'Your Memory' is a nice introduction which I would recommend.
Problems with your short term memory? Can't remember what you just read?

Problems with your short term memory? Can't remember what you just read?

Latest