The Student Room Group

Ashamed of girlfriend?

I'm expecting a lot of people to say I'm a crap boyfriend and so on but just listen out (or, well, read...) and then make up your mind.

I've been with my girlfriend on-and-off for about a year and a half now although for the past 6 months or so we've been much closer and I feel we both matured so it's working out better. For a while we didn't want to tell anyone until it got a bit more serious because it would be stupid if we were to end it soon after. In any case, after a month or so we told our close friends about it (school friends from school we used to go to but I moved to another for college). And I'm happy they know because we hang out a lot and it would be weird if they didn't however I don't really want to tell people at my new college or post it on Facebook or whatever else.

It's a bit hypocritical because it was more me that wanted to tell our friends but I just cared for close friends to know and apart from that want to keep my relationships private from people I don't know that long at new college or wherever else. I don't know if my girlfriend minds a lot but she said she wanted for both of us to say we were going on out on Facebook and "make it official" which I understand but I just can't see why we need to shout about it to everyone we have added. I have a few people I don't know that well on it and same for her and I don't really care for them to know. In my opinion it's a more private thing where only close friends know but not random people you know for a bit.

I don't know if it makes sense why I don't wanna but at times I feel like maybe I'm somehow ashamed of her and that's why I don't.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My Ex did this to me actually.
I wanted to make it official official, she wanted to keep it between close friends.
Tbh i didnt feel very good, felt like she was ashamed of me.
And to finish it off, one of her best mates told the school my ex slept with me. My ex hated the fact that everyone new so much, she said she needed space from me. Dispite trying to speak to her, from time to time. She hasnt said a proper word bar "**** off" "Piss off" "Go Away" "Leave me alone" since that day.
just put in on facebook to make your GF happy, why does it matter if you two are having a relationship im sure that not all your freinds on FB are not even going to be bothered who your in a relationship with and who your not etc
Reply 3
Who gives a flying feck if you're going out "on facebook" anyway? Do people take note of these things? I thought it was there for friends of the same sex to pretend they're married, or for other spectacularly retarded ideas. Either way, she's being a bit insecure (lol cliche) and silly.
Reply 4
She's a fugger isn't she?
I think you just need to stop caring what other people think. Who cares if people know you've got a girlfriend? It's really not a big deal. Why are you so selective about who knows?
Only you can work out whether it's because you're ashamed of her. If you realise that you are, get rid. That is not a good basis for a relationship.
Don't let something stupid like Facebook come between you. To be honest, you're sensible not to post your relationship status. Just get on with your life, have fun with your girlfriend, stop caring what other people think and if people find out or realise you have a girlfriend, so be it.
Its kinda sad how Facebook has now become the mediator that declares relationships "official" :sigh:
Reply 7
You know you can put it on there without it popping up on everyone's news feeds?
If I was her, I'd feel like you fancy some girls on FB and you don't want them to realise you're unavailable...
Cypriots
My Ex did this to me actually.
I wanted to make it official official, she wanted to keep it between close friends.
Tbh i didnt feel very good, felt like she was ashamed of me.
And to finish it off, one of her best mates told the school my ex slept with me. My ex hated the fact that everyone new so much, she said she needed space from me. Dispite trying to speak to her, from time to time. She hasnt said a proper word bar "**** off" "Piss off" "Go Away" "Leave me alone" since that day.

That's truly horrible behaviour on her part (her reaction that is) and I'm sorry you had to go through that. Hope you're OK now and that you realise that there's definitely someone better out there for you :smile:
Yeah, you can put it up without showing your fb friends.

I wouldn't say your ashamed, maybe just a bit cautious because it can, if used in the wrong way, cause problems between you both. This isn't always the case though.

I do like the whole 'is in a relationship with..' though.
Reply 10
I'm ashamed of the way that my girlfriend doesn't exist. It really pisses me off sometimes.
My and my ex never really told anyone we were going out for ages. Just our close friends knew at first, then it obviously gradually spread about. I liked not having everyone poking their nose into it, it's easier for the relationship to grow when no one's watching you do it!
Reply 12
aspiringmathematician
That's truly horrible behaviour on her part (her reaction that is) and I'm sorry you had to go through that. Hope you're OK now and that you realise that there's definitely someone better out there for you :smile:

Nah times are rough, pretty hard to get over someone uve been talking to for about a year and a half.. and someone you thought was also your best friend ehh. I want her, but she doesnt want me. :cool:. Lifes unfair.
assmaster
You know you can put it on there without it popping up on everyone's news feeds?
If I was her, I'd feel like you fancy some girls on FB and you don't want them to realise you're unavailable...

:ditto:
Reply 14
Anonymous
In my opinion it's a more private thing where only close friends know but not random people you know for a bit.

:yep: cause i don't really see the point to show off like : Heeeey everyone!!! See?! my relationship status on Fb shows I've got a bf/gf.

It's soooo childish...:eek3:
Reply 15
assmaster

Reply 16
I'm sure if you aren't bothered about their life [random friends on FB]. They're not going to be bothered about yours.
Reply 17
aliluvschoc

Yes but it still pops up doesn't it? I've done it before and I selected no to having people see it or posting it on my wall yet a day later I got a few comments on the status change..
Cypriots
Nah times are rough, pretty hard to get over someone uve been talking to for about a year and a half.. and someone you thought was also your best friend ehh. I want her, but she doesnt want me. :cool:. Lifes unfair.

Too true. I broke up with my girlfriend (and indeed best friend) of 5 years about 6/7 months ago and it's still tough but I promise it does get better after time. There will be relapses of sadness, but know that if you make an effort to meet new people, do new things, behave more like you did before you met her, that your life will improve. PM if you ever feel low. Good luck sir.
Reply 19
Anonymous
Yes but it still pops up doesn't it? I've done it before and I selected no to having people see it or posting it on my wall yet a day later I got a few comments on the status change..

I meant more in line with the last bit. It appears you don't want people to know you're not available.

Latest

Trending

Trending