The Student Room Group

Don't like to be TOO close in a relationship?

Does anybody else not like to be too close in a relationship? Not related to how serious the relationship is, because I believe you can be very serious and committed to a relationship without letting your life revolve around it.

I've always been like this, I'm generally quite self-centred and have always lived my life for me. I'm very independent, I have great friends but I've always considered myself as a lone ranger.

A relationship is great, can be a very pleasant thing and I think a neccessary component in my life but a very small one. I don't think I'll ever put my relationship in my list of top priorities. That's not to say I'm not committed because I have very strong feelings for my girlfriend but I don't want to spend ages texting, chatting on msn, talking and even hanging out. Many couples like spending the day together, stay in watching tv together, share as many moments of the day as they can with each other....I don't want any of that. I just want it to be a simple thing of having a nice couple of hours out for lunch, maybe go to the cinema and that's it for the week. Also I'm not one to spend hours at night together having sex going at it like rabbits.

I think for this reason I actually prefer long distance relationships! For the majority, if not everybody a long distance is an obstacle but I think it fits in so well for the kind of lifestyle I want. I don't want to marry or kids either, just because I don't want to live my life for somebody else I want to devote as many moments to me, for me.

Is anybody else like this? Do you like to have a nice serious relationship where you're faithful to your partner but you don't like to be too close and only want it to be a small part of your life?
I'm the same

Are you male or female?
Reply 2
I think you'll grow out of this.
Reply 3
Cypriots
I think you'll grow out of this.

People say this but I don't see how I will.
Over the years the general pattern has been that I've been less and less involved in relationships (of any kind, both romantic and friendly). As I grow older I just have more and more important things to do in life, more opportunities to enjoy myself and all the less time to focus on a relationship.
I can see where you're coming from in all that OP. Its funny this thread should come up because I've had a discussion along these lines with my boyfriend only this morning would you belive- in fact you sound scarily like him in what you are saying.... I hope you're not him because there are a couple of bomb shells in there!! lol.
How old are you op?
Have you told your girl friend what you are thinking?

In my opinion seeing one another 1 or 2 times a week is perfectly fine! Thats how we do it and it works really well.
we used to live far away from one another - now go to the same uni so if we let it , it could be a bit claustrophobic- however if you get the balance right- as I feel we have- it can work really well.
Personally my relationship is a big part of my life, it is not my whole life, and I think you have a good attitude in that you concentrate on other things too.
Reply 5
Anonymous
Over the years the general pattern has been that I've been less and less involved in relationships (of any kind, both romantic and friendly). As I grow older I just have more and more important things to do in life, more opportunities to enjoy myself and all the less time to focus on a relationship.

For some people, relationships are important, enjoyable and a good use of time?

It's cool that you're detached though as long as you're secure, independent and know that you'll cope fine if you end up alone in the future :yep:
Reply 6
Apart from the fact that you come across as a bit selfish, I quite like your attitude. I hate couples who live in each others' pockets - I think it'd be perfectly nice to just see someone a couple of times a week!
i love being close!! my bf is my best mate!! and i see him almost everyday!! gets unhealthy sometimes but then we distance ourselves and then it's all fine :smile:
Reply 8
Anonymous

Eventually you'll fall in love and want to spend every minute with the girl off your dreams. Have kids get married etc. It'll come one day.
Always remember, there's nothing more important than family and the one's you love.
Like to be close, but probably wouldn't get too close if I was in a relationship.
I'm the same, can't count the number of relationships I've ended because the girl wanted to spend time together all day every day.
imlike this, i like to keep girls at arms length which they translate as me not liking their company or making a lack of effort or not liking them..and if im honest i dont think any girl i have ever met or been out with really deserves sacrificing my time and attention on... sounds harsh but tis the truth
Reply 12
Definitely relatable. I like my own space. But it's a tough balancing act to demand my own space but be hopeful of affection from another person when involved. I can't seem to get it right. I usually end up too distanced and unable to make up ground without feeling like a fool.
Reply 13
I'm the same. I like time for myself and I like my independence.
Reply 14
You need to look at the good things about women and why you enjoy their company if you can't pin point those then you need to start that casual holla for sex **** or just not have a high maintenance girlfriend.

You don't sound like you like sex that much though in which case you need to find someone who you can actually chill with like you chill with your boys.

Or it could be that you're scared to catch feelings for the girl because you don't want to get hurt maybe?

Latest

Trending

Trending