The Student Room Group

So confused..Don't want to go to insurance uni

I'm still awaiting my A Level results and have chosen UCL as my firm (requiring AAA) and Loughborough for insurance (AAB). I'm 110% sure I'll get the grades for Loughborough, but I so want to go to UCL. I'm not completely sure that I'll get the third A. What if I only get AAB?

I so don't want to go Loughborough. What should I do? Hang on another year and try to get another A and apply to UCL (or maybe even 'better' universities)? Or how can I overcome my fear of Loughborough?

I just don't like the university as much as UCL. I have the thing in my mind that if I graduate from UCL, everyone will know about UCL, whereas Loughborough is just slightly famous in UK and hardly anywhere outside UK.

Please help :s

(P.S. My course is Civil Engineering)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's a tricky one. Reapplying next year runs the risk of you not getting in to UCL again, and you ending up in a worse uni than Loughborough.

Also consider that some courses look down on resists. Check if yours is.

In my experience those who have gone to their insurance uni or got a place in clearing have learnt to love the university just as much. There is a lot of pressure on you before you go to get into a top 10 and all of that, and that if you choose the wrong uni you'll be upset for three years, but it's really not like that at all.
muffingg
I'm still awaiting my A Level results and have chosen UCL as my firm (requiring AAA) and Loughborough for insurance (AAB). I'm 110% sure I'll get the grades for Loughborough, but I so want to go to UCL. I'm not completely sure that I'll get the third A. What if I only get AAB?

I so don't want to go Loughborough. What should I do? Hang on another year and try to get another A and apply to UCL (or maybe even 'better' universities)? Or how can I overcome my fear of Loughborough?

I just don't like the university as much as UCL. I have the thing in my mind that if I graduate from UCL, everyone will know about UCL, whereas Loughborough is just slightly famous in UK and hardly anywhere outside UK.

i dont even have an insurance so if i dont get my grades i'm ******!
Reply 3
If you reapply you won't be able to get into better universities as you'll be classed as a resit student as you'll be resiting that third A level. Imperial, Oxford and Cambridge will most likely not accept resit students and i doubt that there are any other unis that are better than UCL for civil engineering, except maybe Bristol i guess. Still, you have to get the grades in 2 years really to get into really good universities. Personally i would go to Loughborough; it's a really good university for engineering and does have a good reputation in the UK.
loughborough is known for being good for engineering. having said that it will never have the fame or social credentials that ucl has. you might be lucky, ucl used to be known for making some low offers - and i imagine that that flexibility might help you.
me, i'd happily tread water for a year to get to a better university. but i'd want to know that my year of treading would have a serious chance of delivering what i wanted.
Reply 5
I didn't really want to go to Edinburgh, but it was still nice to have an achievable insurance offer. I wouldn't worry too much for now; just wait until your A-level results are released. A lot of people I knew who were worried about achieving their required grades were often pleasantly surprised come results day.

If hadn't got into King's I would have reapplied during my gap year and made sure that I was happy to go to any of my other four choices. This is obviously a mistake both of us made when applying to university! Good luck for next Thursday. :smile:
elspethseisay
i dont even have an insurance so if i dont get my grades i'm ******!

same here. insurance has same reqs :s-smilie:

OP ur situation isnt too bad though. Atleast ur gonna get AAB, which are good grades. Dunno about the subject ranking so cant comment on Loughborough, but yeah it isnt prestigious internationally. Normally I think u could def get into better places(being an international student)...but with unis starting to ask for A*s it might be a risk.

Personally I would take a gap year if I was in your situation for Acct/Finance, dunno about Civil Engineering....wait for clearing though.
Reply 7
orca92
If you reapply you won't be able to get into better universities as you'll be classed as a resit student as you'll be resiting that third A level. Imperial, Oxford and Cambridge will most likely not accept resit students and i doubt that there are any other unis that are better than UCL for civil engineering, except maybe Bristol i guess. Still, you have to get the grades in 2 years really to get into really good universities. Personally i would go to Loughborough; it's a really good university for engineering and does have a good reputation in the UK.

Are you sure about that? I have never read it anywhere that the university was saying that resit students will not get a place. At least for my course I can't remember reading that.
Reply 8
bestie
It's a tricky one. Reapplying next year runs the risk of you not getting in to UCL again, and you ending up in a worse uni than Loughborough.

Also consider that some courses look down on resists. Check if yours is.

In my experience those who have gone to their insurance uni or got a place in clearing have learnt to love the university just as much. There is a lot of pressure on you before you go to get into a top 10 and all of that, and that if you choose the wrong uni you'll be upset for three years, but it's really not like that at all.

Thanks, I understand your point. But the thing is that almost all my relatives are living outside UK. And (it might sound negative), I want some recognition by them. So I personally might like Loughborough a lot, but the thing is that I might not stay in UK for long after my graduation. I might be going to Canada, USA, or Germany. Hardly anyone there would know about Loughborough.
Hello, thought I'd just give you some friendly advice as this is very similar to what happened to me last year.

Last year I diddn't get my grades to get into my first choice which was Sheffield, but I did get my insurance choice, Leicester. This, however did not please me, as for some reason I just did not want to go to Leicester. Yet I had this place. I was very upset about not getting my grades. But there was a happy ending. I chose not to go to Leicester. I thought that yes I may come to like it, but I diddn't want to have to try to like it. It was my uni education I was paying for so I wanted to go somewhere I felt I 'connected' with. So I talked to Leicester telling them I was politely refusing their place.
So I then worked for a year and took two resits, because I was only seven marks off the grade I needed. (Made it all the more painful hehe.)

And do not worry about universities looking down on you at all, I actually think they appreciate the determination. Surely it shows to them that while you're down you can still get back up on your feet, and get back in there and achieve? I feel it shows how ambitous and serious you are about your education. And if I was you and I diddn't get into UCL I would take resits and reapply to them for next year.
I applied to Sheffield, Newcastle, Birmingham, Liverpool and Nottingham this year. I believe they all have a fairly good reputation and I was accepted. When I spoke to a professor at Sheffield they acknowledged that it was a good idea to take resits, and they still considered me.

However bad it may look on results day, don't worry everything gets better. I won't even be going to Sheffield because I actually picked Newcastle. So things like missing out happen because they have to happen.

So to summarise after my long post lol don't be afraid of resitting your exams and reapplying, in my experiance universities do not look down on you!!
Good luck on results day, hope you get the grades so you can go to UCL!!
Reply 10
PinkPomeranian
Hello, thought I'd just give you some friendly advice as this is very similar to what happened to me last year.

Last year I diddn't get my grades to get into my first choice which was Sheffield, but I did get my insurance choice, Leicester. This, however did not please me, as for some reason I just did not want to go to Leicester. Yet I had this place. I was very upset about not getting my grades. But there was a happy ending. I chose not to go to Leicester. I thought that yes I may come to like it, but I diddn't want to have to try to like it. It was my uni education I was paying for so I wanted to go somewhere I felt I 'connected' with. So I talked to Leicester telling them I was politely refusing their place.
So I then worked for a year and took two resits, because I was only seven marks off the grade I needed. (Made it all the more painful hehe.)

And do not worry about universities looking down on you at all, I actually think they appreciate the determination. Surely it shows to them that while you're down you can still get back up on your feet, and get back in there and achieve? I feel it shows how ambitous and serious you are about your education. And if I was you and I diddn't get into UCL I would take resits and reapply to them for next year.
I applied to Sheffield, Newcastle, Birmingham, Liverpool and Nottingham this year. I believe they all have a fairly good reputation and I was accepted. When I spoke to a professor at Sheffield they acknowledged that it was a good idea to take resits, and they still considered me.

However bad it may look on results day, don't worry everything gets better. I won't even be going to Sheffield because I actually picked Newcastle. So things like missing out happen because they have to happen.

So to summarise after my long post lol don't be afraid of resitting your exams and reapplying, in my experiance universities do not look down on you!!
Good luck on results day, hope you get the grades so you can go to UCL!!

Thanks for that. Hope I get the grades first. If not, I hope I'll be as lucky as you :smile:
As for resits - I contacted all of the universities I was applying to this year (Cambridge, UCL, Kings, Kent and St Andrews) and told them that I was resitting my third A-level, and they all said it was fine, so the idea of universities looking down on you is a bit ridiculous. If you've had to take two gap years then maybe that would affect your application, but just sitting a few exams here and there during your gap year isn't a big problem. If you do have to take a gap year, it might be an idea to pick up another A-level as well - I resat my German and did an English Language A-level by correspondence course, which was quite good as it kept me reasonably academically focused, so I'm not going to uni feeling like my brain has atrophied!

RE turning down your insurance uni - it is a gamble, but to be honest, if you're a decent student it's going to pay off. I withdrew my other uni applications this year after I'd got the place I wanted, but I'd already had an offer from Kent. I hadn't visited my insurance university, Royal Holloway, and went to a post results-day open day, which was actually quite helpful, as I was able to get a feel for the place and realised that I wouldn't be happy there even if I wasn't gutted about not having got into Cambridge, which made my decision to withdraw & reapply a lot easier! As for withdrawing, I just withdrew from UCAS and then emailed RH to let them know and explained my reasons. They kept sending me Freshers Letters, which was annoying, but they were fine about it.

Hopefully it won't come to this for you! But if it does - it's really not the end of the world. In many ways, not getting into Cambridge first time around has been the best thing that ever happened to me. After having a gap year, I feel ready to get back to proper work, and I've made some money, and I know I'm not settling for second best. Good luck!
Reply 12
charlottesometimes
As for resits - I contacted all of the universities I was applying to this year (Cambridge, UCL, Kings, Kent and St Andrews) and told them that I was resitting my third A-level, and they all said it was fine, so the idea of universities looking down on you is a bit ridiculous. If you've had to take two gap years then maybe that would affect your application, but just sitting a few exams here and there during your gap year isn't a big problem. If you do have to take a gap year, it might be an idea to pick up another A-level as well - I resat my German and did an English Language A-level by correspondence course, which was quite good as it kept me reasonably academically focused, so I'm not going to uni feeling like my brain has atrophied!

RE turning down your insurance uni - it is a gamble, but to be honest, if you're a decent student it's going to pay off. I withdrew my other uni applications this year after I'd got the place I wanted, but I'd already had an offer from Kent. I hadn't visited my insurance university, Royal Holloway, and went to a post results-day open day, which was actually quite helpful, as I was able to get a feel for the place and realised that I wouldn't be happy there even if I wasn't gutted about not having got into Cambridge, which made my decision to withdraw & reapply a lot easier! As for withdrawing, I just withdrew from UCAS and then emailed RH to let them know and explained my reasons. They kept sending me Freshers Letters, which was annoying, but they were fine about it.

Hopefully it won't come to this for you! But if it does - it's really not the end of the world. In many ways, not getting into Cambridge first time around has been the best thing that ever happened to me. After having a gap year, I feel ready to get back to proper work, and I've made some money, and I know I'm not settling for second best. Good luck!

Thanks for that advice. I think the idea to do an extra A Level or AS during your gap year is a very good one. Hopefully I won't have to get there, but if I do, your advice will surely help me a lot. Did you ask the universities regarding your subject or just generally whether resits are OK or not?
Reply 13
muffingg

you wont get a better uni if you re apply next year UCL is about as good as it gets and getting in isnt that easy so i wouldnt risk it.. plus despite what the guy above me has said, if you resit an A level they will expect higher grades and look down on you.. also important to bare in mind that even if u get AAB they might still take you if you ring them up and plead your case =]
Reply 14
If you don't get into your firm, ring Loughborough and ask them to release you. Then enter Clearing and find another uni you want to go to? Or if it's just UCL, plan the best year you can imagine as a gap year and reapply =) Just make sure you won't regret it first!
can i ask if u don't want to go to loughborough why the hell did u put it down as insurance?
To be honest with you, you should stop worrying until you get your results and know what you've got.
If you don't want to go to your insurance, then it looks like you're going to have to reapply next year, so it doesn't really matter if you don't make the decision right now.

Just wait until your results come through. A lot of people get paranoid around this time, and you'll probably have met your offer anyway :smile: Good luck!
Reply 17
chelseafreak
can i ask if u don't want to go to loughborough why the hell did u put it down as insurance?

Because of my 5 universities only 3 accepted me and they were UCL, Loughborough, and Bath. Bristol and Imperial rejected me. And since Bath and UCL both wanted AAA and Loughborough wanted AAB, an intelligent person would choose UCL and Loughborough or Bath and Loughborough.
I'd love to go to my insurance and since I'm 110% sure I made the insurance offer I'm super chilled out about results day :smile:
Reply 19
Well done for getting in to UCL! I had this dilemma last year when I received my results, and didn't get 3 As. My insurance choice was St. Andrews; I researched the universiy as much as I could, and thought very carefully before I turned it down. I would suggest that you set yourself up to realistically consider going to Loughborough - you never know, it might just be the very place for you. And if it isn't, it's no big deal. I re-applied to university, and I will being starting at Oxford this year. Taking a year out, and having to reconsider my options was actually pretty illuminating for me - it confirmed what I wanted from uni.

Good luck with your results. If you do get a B, and would like to study A level subjects further to get the grades you want/need, I would suggest trying a set of new, but related subjects, rather that resitting just one: it might be more impressive, and you might find doing different subjects altogether more stimulating... (although I don't know if that's possible with A -levels and the English system) :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending