The Student Room Group

Is it right for my teacher to predict me a B considering i got a B in AS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TheSownRose
But it still doesn't mean that being overpredicted will result in you getting no offers. Unis are fully believing you'll achieve those grades, they're not to know that you'll later go on to fail.

And they're unlikely to have applied to just top unis, so depending on what their insurance is, they may still get into a uni they applied to.

I don't agree with your last sentence. Unis know that over half of predicted grades are too high, so they must take that into account when reading references /reading between the lines.
Also if someone applies to only one or two unis he/she has a realistic chance of getting into it limits his choices and chances of getting offers.
Schools don't like overpredicting too much because they lose credibility with admissions tutors and the schools get known for overpredicting.
Reply 41
Of course it's fair o.0 You may plan to get better grades next year but the teacher has no evidence that you are going to do so. I'm hoping to get an A* in English this year, but I didn't get predicted an A* because I didn't get over 90% at AS. That's how it works.
Reply 42
Was there a good reason for the D other than failing to work as hard as you should have? The only times I've seen peeps upgraded a good bit are when they had something obviously wrong that wasn't likely to affect them again (eg. a family member died the day before the exam or they were in hospital when they should have been revising)
Original post by lizlaz350
Yes, you might get offers, but the original post said you 'won't get into' not 'won't get offers'.
You might get an offer but that doesn't guarantee you a place if you don't get the grades.

I also went back and read what you said about having lower down universities as insurance and considering the OP said that his 'life counts on this predicted grade', this suggests that lower down universities aren't on the cards for him, meaning he still probably won't get in.

No, maybe in OP's case he wouldn't be going to any of the unis he applied to ... but someone else might.

Original post by Doubledog
I don't agree with your last sentence. Unis know that over half of predicted grades are too high, so they must take that into account when reading references /reading between the lines.
Also if someone applies to only one or two unis he/she has a realistic chance of getting into it limits his choices and chances of getting offers.
Schools don't like overpredicting too much because they lose credibility with admissions tutors and the schools get known for overpredicting.

Actually, that is a fair point, but in a world where unis didn't and OP's school doesn't have a reputation for it, just being over-predicted isn't going to trip you up.

This is becoming an increasingly hypothetical world...
Reply 44
Count yourself lucky at my school your predicated grade is based on your As grade minus 10 %. For example if you got an A with 82% they'd predict you 72% in your A2 exams which works out as a B. For that reason my school doesn't predict A*s unless you get 100 % in your AS levels! I am get predicted a B for Geography even though I got an A in an AS; however I don't think universities go on your predicated grade much.
Reply 45
No, maybe in OP's case he wouldn't be going to any of the unis he applied to ... but someone else might.

Actually, that is a fair point, but in a world where unis didn't and OP's school doesn't have a reputation for it, just being over-predicted isn't going to trip you up.

This is becoming an increasingly hypothetical world...

There is a chance that someone will do better than their predicted grades, but we know it's only 9% of predictions that are too low. I suppose it's all about probabilities. But I think someone just having a" feeling" or "just knowing" they'll do better isn't enough.
Reply 46
That makes very little sense.

I'm assuming that he means that you will apply to Universities with entry requirements that match your predicted grades, but if your predicted grades are overinflated beyond what you're capable of achieving then you won't get into the Universities that you've applied to.
Original post by Doubledog
There is a chance that someone will do better than their predicted grades, but we know it's only 9% of predictions that are too low. I suppose it's all about probabilities. But I think someone just having a" feeling" or "just knowing" they'll do better isn't enough.

Oh, completely agree there. If you want to have your predictions raised, you need to have good reasons why ... which is what I was trying to get him to reveal with my first couple of posts, but nothing beyond 'sociology did it'. :facepalm:
Original post by foreignersuite
Right,

So my history teacher has to give me a predticed grade for government and politcs due to my politics teacher leaving the college. I now have a new politics teacher, but she doesnt know my capability.

I feel that I can get an A.

In the units for AS I got an A and a D which overall was a B.

I'm going to be retaking the D and hopefully get an A overall.

But to be still predicted a B is upsetting.

Any advice guys?

It is fair because she is trying to give predicions in the most scientific way possible. She doesn't know you.

But I feel for you, just persuade her and lick ass! Always works :biggrin:
Reply 49
Try and pursuade her :smile:! I hope it works out for you, I had that situation and they didn't change it, sadly :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending