The Student Room Group

opinions on job while at uni

hey, i am a first year and got a job at a pub through a friend. The work i dont mind, but i find i have little to say to those i work with and sometimes want to but just cant think of anything...do you think its because i am new? Some of the people are also a bit 'weird'. Pay is good especially with tips but i dread going to work however dont mind it when there most of the time. I keep getting put in for lots of hours and got my last shift today where i plan to say in jan i would like to do one shift of 6 hours then maybe a 4 hour, i would be happy with 6 but not sure if they will be too keen on it. There are 3 jobs i have seen advertised which i would think i would be happier in but as i have only been at my new job a month would it look bad?
if i decide over xmas that i dont want to go back do you think i could ring up and say?
I am also worried i will miss out on going out because of working.
What to do? x
Reply 1
Don't stay where you don't want to be, its that simple. Life's too short.
Original post by indie_couture
hey, i am a first year and got a job at a pub through a friend. The work i dont mind, but i find i have little to say to those i work with and sometimes want to but just cant think of anything...do you think its because i am new? Some of the people are also a bit 'weird'. Pay is good especially with tips but i dread going to work however dont mind it when there most of the time. I keep getting put in for lots of hours and got my last shift today where i plan to say in jan i would like to do one shift of 6 hours then maybe a 4 hour, i would be happy with 6 but not sure if they will be too keen on it. There are 3 jobs i have seen advertised which i would think i would be happier in but as i have only been at my new job a month would it look bad?
if i decide over xmas that i dont want to go back do you think i could ring up and say?
I am also worried i will miss out on going out because of working.
What to do? x

Stay there for now. In the meantime apply for these other jobs you have seen. If you get any of them then you can go for one of them and leave your current job. At least the pay is good and you dont mind the work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending