The Student Room Group

What's your relationship with your parents like?

Mine is kind of crap.
I don't have anything in common with my mum so we hardly talk unless it's necessary. I don't think I've ever had like a heart to hear conversation with my mum.
And my relationship with my dad is also not very good, I hardly talk to him as he's always working and every time I talk to him all he ever talks about is school.
This makes me stay away from my parents and my sisters have like a really close relationship with my parents.
Oh and I'm 16 it may change with age but I doubt it.

Scroll to see replies

I'm extremely close to my parents; more so to my mum, but Dad's there for me too. They both helped me through an extremely difficult time in my life and I can talk to them about nearly anything.

I live with my parents at 24 and apart from the fact that I'm still 'shouted at' for having my music too loud, it's lovely. We get on really well.
Reply 2
Fairly good, I've been told that I'm a mirror image of my mum and it's true. My parents have done a lot for me and will continue to do that. Not saying that we don't argue (because we do) but we get over it. Also, we have opposing views on some things e.g. religion, culture and personal favourite: alcohol.

We get on really well and I'll miss em when I go to university.
Reply 3
get on really well with my mum, not so well with my dad.. i'm 16 too
It's good but i've always been closer to m'mamma.
Reply 5
Strained at best.
Reply 6
I'm really close to mum - she's the only person who honestly knows me, she's always there for me, and I have complete respect for her. We get on really well.

On the other hand, words can't express how much I loathe my father.
Reply 7
Pretty meh. My mum always wants what is best for me but she is bat**** crazy so we don't often see eye to eye on that. We've been getting on a lot better lately though, now that she's not trying to make me break up with boyfriend or whatever. My dad is a bit more complicated, I don't see him that much cos my parents are divorced.
Reply 8
I don't have a Dad but I get on with my mum awwwwesome :biggrin: shes like my best mate and I can tell her anything.
Reply 9
not that well.
Reply 10
I shouldn't have made this thread it's just making me feel worse about my relationship with my parents. I feel unloved. :frown:
Reply 11
Pretty close actually... I didn't speak to my Dad for like 3 years from 14 to 17, but that's all forgotten now. My Mum's great for a night out, she has a few to drink & acts exactly the same as me, so we get on. I recently found out my Dad has cancer as well so that's brought us a lot closer together, I speak to him every day without fail.
Original post by SAK.A
I shouldn't have made this thread it's just making me feel worse about my relationship with my parents. I feel unloved. :frown:

I love you :smile: lol. Don't get down about it, you're young, noone gets on with their parents at your age...
Reply 13
My mum can't avoid nagging me at any opportunity, whether it's "get a girlfriend" or "get some work experience" or whatever. She doesn't understand that repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't help. And I've never been that close to my dad, suppose we just don't have a lot in common, sounds bad I know. Not that I dislike them, just prefer being out the house than in it, if you get my drift.
I have hardly anything in common with either of them but I think that's because my upbringing has been very different to theirs. I get on better with my mum. I don't think I've ever had a heart to heart conversation with my dad and the ones I rarely have with my mum are about relatively trivial things anyway. I don't like the way she guilt trips me late at night (when she's almost always drunk). I can't imagine what it would be like being in one of those lovey dovey families lol.
(edited 13 years ago)
Strained. Very little in common
Reply 16
Original post by SAK.A
Mine is kind of crap.
I don't have anything in common with my mum so we hardly talk unless it's necessary. I don't think I've ever had like a heart to hear conversation with my mum.
And my relationship with my dad is also not very good, I hardly talk to him as he's always working and every time I talk to him all he ever talks about is school.
This makes me stay away from my parents and my sisters have like a really close relationship with my parents.
Oh and I'm 16 it may change with age but I doubt it.

If your sisters have a close relationship with them then there should be no reason you can't as well. Have you tried telling them how you feel?
Mine is really good. I can tell my Mum anything, and my Dad almost everything :-)
Reply 18
Original post by Wahaaaay
If your sisters have a close relationship with them then there should be no reason you can't as well. Have you tried telling them how you feel?

Yeah. It's not as simple as that my sisters have been on a near death situation when they were very little therefore my sisters had to stay in hospital with my mum and my dad was commuting back and forth for about a year or so. Which meant I hardly so my parents for about a year when I was really young I stayed with my grandparents. Although this did have it's advantages making me more independent. I would just feel awkward talking to my parents in a emotional way.
Ever since my mum died when I was 5, it's definitely brought my and my Dad closer. He's different from most Dads.. he has pretty much treated me like an adult for as long as I can remember, by valuing my opinions on decisions he makes, and he doesn't meddle with my life too much, doesn't nag at me at all.. I guess he just hopes I know what I'm doing with my life, to be honest. I'd say we're quite close and he's pretty darn reasonable about most things, compared to my friends' parents. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending