The Student Room Group

BCU Nursing Diploma (interview 12th Jan)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I called them again yesterday and finally managed to speak to somebody!! She said that the first day is Monday 4th April.

Fingers crossed you hear something soon :-)
Reply 21
Has anybody who had their interview in January heard anything yet?
I have called admissions a few times and keep getting told that they are waiting to see if there are enough placements before offering any other places on the course.
It is getting quite worrying as it is getting closer and closer to April.
Reply 22
Original post by Charlene.
Has anybody who had their interview in January heard anything yet?
I have called admissions a few times and keep getting told that they are waiting to see if there are enough placements before offering any other places on the course.
It is getting quite worrying as it is getting closer and closer to April.

This is torture. Can't stop checking my emails everyday, hoping that they'll get in touch soon. Surely they should have sorted all the placements stuff earlier on.
Reply 23
I have just completed my Nursing Degree at BCU and although my main aim was to complete my studies, I wish I had accepted another offer I had recieved at the same time. I am not alone when I say this is not the best Uni to study at as they always do things right at the last minute, including taking weeks to give feedback on exam/assignment results and placement allocations are a joke!! don't expect to know where your placement is untill the very last minute, and you can't even speak to the allocations department as the door is taped up with no entry signs on the door!!! Well enough said, Good luck as you will need it here.
Reply 24
Omg it's frigging March. Has anyone heard anything recently?

Also can anyone give me the contact details for the admission people? Cheers
Reply 25
Original post by Sukibus
Omg it's frigging March. Has anyone heard anything recently?

Also can anyone give me the contact details for the admission people? Cheers

I'm not sure about the rules for posting contact details on hear so probabally be safest to say search birmingham city university and click on contact details when you ring up they will redirect you to the best people to speak to. I'm going to phone up again tomorrow. It's a long time to wait if people get rejections I wonder how long they can leave us not knowing surely they will have to give us at least a month before the start date.
Reply 26
Okay, just called them up today and got told that I've got a conditional offer, wtf!
Apparently they need to see evidence got a of my 50 (or 500) practice hours but I've got a degree in Psychology and Philosophy plus I've done some voluntary work for mencap so have no idea what they want. Plus I did show them my uni transcripts the day of the interview.
Reply 27
Oh, I've just realized that I haven't sent off that form they gave us on the day of the interview (Accreditation of Prior Learning).

Is it tres important for us to have it filled in? Plus I don't understand what's it for and how can I provide evidence of my volutary work?? Any help/advice would be deeply appreciated
Congratulations sukibus:bigsmile:
You definately need to fill in the APEL form and pretty quick!
There is a phone number on the back for the Development office, call them and they will talk you through it and what evidence you will need to supply.
You will need a letter from your voluntary work to say you have completed at least 550 hours of work experience. This will need to be on headed paper with a signature.
They may also need to know your job description, but if you call them they can give you more information. They have been really helpful with me and i have almost gathered all the evidence, waiting on reference to arrive. But until you have completed the APEL application and they have all your evidence your place will remain conditional and you won't receive any further information from the university about the course. It starts on April 4th, 4 weeks on Monday, thats all the information i have until my offer changes to unconditional.
Good luck with it all.
Reply 29
Original post by Sukibus
Okay, just called them up today and got told that I've got a conditional offer, wtf!
Apparently they need to see evidence got a of my 50 (or 500) practice hours but I've got a degree in Psychology and Philosophy plus I've done some voluntary work for mencap so have no idea what they want. Plus I did show them my uni transcripts the day of the interview.

After reading this I phoned up, nothing at all :frown:
Reply 30
Original post by smithylovesme
Congratulations sukibus:bigsmile:
You definately need to fill in the APEL form and pretty quick!
There is a phone number on the back for the Development office, call them and they will talk you through it and what evidence you will need to supply.
You will need a letter from your voluntary work to say you have completed at least 550 hours of work experience. This will need to be on headed paper with a signature.
They may also need to know your job description, but if you call them they can give you more information. They have been really helpful with me and i have almost gathered all the evidence, waiting on reference to arrive. But until you have completed the APEL application and they have all your evidence your place will remain conditional and you won't receive any further information from the university about the course. It starts on April 4th, 4 weeks on Monday, thats all the information i have until my offer changes to unconditional.
Good luck with it all.

Thank you so much for your useful info. However, I doubt I have completed 550 hours of work experience. Shouldn't my degree in Psychology be enough? I also did it at college but have no idea where my a level certificates are.

I called them up today and the woman was like, we need it asap. So hopefully I will get it sorted by the end of next week.

I can't believe I forgot about it. Would have been nice if they'd sent me a reminder about it but then again I guess it's my own responsibility.

Have you sorted out your living arrangements yet?

Good luck to you too
Reply 31
Original post by random2373
After reading this I phoned up, nothing at all :frown:

Me neither, i have called at least once a week and keep getting fobbed off! :angry: I would like to know either way now, good news or bad news, i think its really unfair how delayed they are with their responses!
Sorry that they didn't give you an answer Random2373, did they tell you why?

Sukibus they told me that they needed to see my degree (Transcript) and 550 hours of work related experience before they could sign of the APEL. Is it the graduate diploma you have a conditional offer for?

Have you spoken with the Personal development office, my contact there is Jenny Peacock she is great and will talk you all through the whys, and what is needed etc. For the APEL form i was told just to complete the first and last page the rest wasn't relevant.
Don't need accomodation as we live in Coventry so will be travelling, but wish they would send a timetable as i need to sort out childcare.
Reply 33
Sorry that they didn't give you an answer Random2373, did they tell you why?

Sukibus they told me that they needed to see my degree (Transcript) and 550 hours of work related experience before they could sign of the APEL. Is it the graduate diploma you have a conditional offer for?

Have you spoken with the Personal development office, my contact there is Jenny Peacock she is great and will talk you all through the whys, and what is needed etc. For the APEL form i was told just to complete the first and last page the rest wasn't relevant.
Don't need accomodation as we live in Coventry so will be travelling, but wish they would send a timetable as i need to sort out childcare.

The last page?

What do they mean by "credits requested"? And 550 hours? I've been working as a voluntary befriender for 2 months now, would that count?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions
Original post by Sukibus
The last page?

What do they mean by "credits requested"? And 550 hours? I've been working as a voluntary befriender for 2 months now, would that count?

Sorry for bombarding you with questions

The back page, i think it was just signature and date
Not sure on credits requested, i think i just left it blank.
550 hours i think is equivalent to 12 weeks fulltime, have you done any other care work? Not sure on the voluntary befriender sorry.
Give them a call tomorrow and they will give you all the answers.

Charlene and Random, seems a little unfair to keep you all hanging like that, i hope you hear something from them soon. I think they are waiting for people to either accept or reject the places they have already offered before they offer anymore.
I got my offer February 3rd, the called me a week later to ask me to accept so they could send out information, so i did i had to withdraw from all my other courses. They then just this week have e-mailed me (a generic e-mail) asking me to accept my place on UCAS, they also said if i had already to let them know as they had been having problems with UCAS and might not have recieved it. Also if they hadn't heard from me by end of the week they would assume that i no longer wanted the place. It seemed like a bulk e-mail they had sent to all applicants with offers. Hopefully that will get people to accept/reject there places and then they can let everyone else know.
Even though i accepted place over 2 weeks ago, they still haven't sent any information out, so seems like everything is last minute.
Keep us updated and hopefully we will all see each other in just over 4 weeks time :smile:
Reply 35
The back page, i think it was just signature and date
Not sure on credits requested, i think i just left it blank.
550 hours i think is equivalent to 12 weeks fulltime, have you done any other care work? Not sure on the voluntary befriender sorry.
Give them a call tomorrow and they will give you all the answers.

Charlene and Random, seems a little unfair to keep you all hanging like that, i hope you hear something from them soon. I think they are waiting for people to either accept or reject the places they have already offered before they offer anymore.
I got my offer February 3rd, the called me a week later to ask me to accept so they could send out information, so i did i had to withdraw from all my other courses. They then just this week have e-mailed me (a generic e-mail) asking me to accept my place on UCAS, they also said if i had already to let them know as they had been having problems with UCAS and might not have recieved it. Also if they hadn't heard from me by end of the week they would assume that i no longer wanted the place. It seemed like a bulk e-mail they had sent to all applicants with offers. Hopefully that will get people to accept/reject there places and then they can let everyone else know.
Even though i accepted place over 2 weeks ago, they still haven't sent any information out, so seems like everything is last minute.
Keep us updated and hopefully we will all see each other in just over 4 weeks time :smile:

Thank you smithylovesme. I don't think I have done 550 hours of care work then. I really did think my degree was enough to get me through. Ah well.

Do you think it's too late for me to send the form back?
Hi Sukibus
did you send your form back? You should at least try. They don't really tell you a lot about what is required for the APEL. I have been running around like a headless chicken for weeks trying to get all the information required, then being told its not enough and getting more!
I hope you have worked something out.
Reply 37
I've sent the form on Friday though I've stated on the letter that I've not completed the 550 hours of carework. I also sent them a "My Reflection" stating the reasons why they should still take me on.

I doubt they'd accept me as I've failed to meet their requirements.

If they've given me a conditional offer, does that mean that I passed the interview?

Lots of Universities have canceled the nursing diploma for post grads. It's so annoying since it's a bit late to apply for other courses now.
Hii!!

My sister applied to do the adult nursing diploma back in December.. She had an interview on the 10th December, and she hadnt heard back after New Year. She phoned the admissions department up on 10th Jan and they told her over the phone she had an unconditional offer and that they just hadnt updated UCAS yet.

However, I've applied to Adult Nursing Degree and haven't heard back yet.. I had an interview on the 10th Jan and it's been nearly 2 months now. My friend phoned them up as she went to the same interview as me and they just said that theres not a set time limit to which they have to reply.. and because of the amount of applicants they've had that they're trying to reply to people ASAP.

BCU's my first choice though, and I'm starting to get a bit worried now :\
Reply 39
Original post by emma.louise__x
Hii!!

My sister applied to do the adult nursing diploma back in December.. She had an interview on the 10th December, and she hadnt heard back after New Year. She phoned the admissions department up on 10th Jan and they told her over the phone she had an unconditional offer and that they just hadnt updated UCAS yet.

However, I've applied to Adult Nursing Degree and haven't heard back yet.. I had an interview on the 10th Jan and it's been nearly 2 months now. My friend phoned them up as she went to the same interview as me and they just said that theres not a set time limit to which they have to reply.. and because of the amount of applicants they've had that they're trying to reply to people ASAP.

BCU's my first choice though, and I'm starting to get a bit worried now :\

My application was processed by ucas on the 3rd of December I had my interview on the 24th January and have phoned them up several times given that the start date is getting very close! They will however not give me a clear date by which they have to give everyone a response but they did however say (I phoned them up again today) that they have had people reject places and that these places will be allocated to the people with the highest scores. This might mean that the deadline for accepting or rejecting places has passed so hopefully we should hear back soon since they should know the numbers of places they have left but I’m not going to hold my breath on it.

Quick Reply

Latest