The Student Room Group

MSc/ PGDip in Speech & Language Therapy!

Hi! I thought I'd create a new thread for people applying for the Postgraduate courses in Speech and Language Therapy for 2011 entry, as it's getting difficult to find us in the other thread!

So where has everyone applied/ had an interview/ been accepted/ rejected?

I've applied to:

Queen Margaret (Offered a place - but have to pay fees!)
Newcastle (Interviewed - on reserve list)
Reading (Rejected)
Sheffield (Not heard)
Essex (Not heard)

Has anyone else got an offer from Queen Margaret and going to take it up?? I've said yes but will only take it if I don't get on any of the others as it's a lot of money!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Which iterview day were you at for the Newcastle interview?One of the current students said you can ask where abouts you are on the reserve list.
How come you have to pay fees?
Reply 2
I'm applying for MSc/PGDip at Essex, still doing my Personal Statement, quite anxious now because I know the PS has to be good!!
Reply 3
I think it was the 20th January - the Thursday one. Did you have an interview there too? I don't know exactly what number I am but I'm a "medium reserve" so I think that is pretty far down, as they have 15 high reserves :frown:
I don't really know why you have to pay fees at QMU, I think it is probably to do with it being in Scotland... It's something like £7500 a year though! :s-smilie:

Good luck with Essex Laila! Should be ok as long as you've got some good experience to write about. I looked around Essex a few months ago, the department seems really friendly. Are you applying anywhere else?
Reply 4
Hi All!

I got an offer at UCL and City and am waiting to hear from Reading - anyone else not heard yet? I'd thought it would be last Weds but then they said "another day or two"...

Sam
Reply 5
Hi everyone!

I made the 'high reserve' list for the Newcastle MSc, anyone have an idea on what the chances of getting a place would be?
Reply 6
When I went to the interview day, one of the current students that did our tour said last year about 4 people of the 1st year of the course were initially on the reserve list.

I was on Friday the 21st interview day.
Reply 7
I was on the Friday interview too, I think I actually remember who you are there was a lass called alex in my group for the day!

How did you get on with it?
Reply 8
Hi All,

I've just accepted a place at UCL - anyone else going? Really excited! Though slightly nerve-racking as I have to move house before August!

Hope everyone gets where they want to go - fingers crossed!

: )
Reply 9
Original post by 12lindsay10
I was on the Friday interview too, I think I actually remember who you are there was a lass called alex in my group for the day!

How did you get on with it?

There was 2 Alex's there that day, so might have been the other Alex. In was in the group that did there presentations 2nd.

I got a place, which I'm going to accept.

Have you been offered any places?
Reply 10
Anyone else got/ had an interview at Essex? I've just found out I've got one on 28th April!
Reply 11
Hey
I have an interview on the 28th, feeling a bit anxious :s-smilie:, especially for the numeracy tests! Have you had any interviews? I am not really sure what to expect!
Reply 12
Hi Sarah, yeah I had an interview at Newcastle which was horrible, it was all group work and no individual interview apart from giving a quick presentation... didn't feel like I could get my personality/ knowledge/ enthusiasm across at all and didn't get a place :frown:

I have no idea what it's going to be like at Essex because they all seem to be different! Hopefully it won't be too bad! I don't think the written tests will be anything really horrible though, you don't need complicated maths for speech therapy! :smile:
Reply 13
Oh and Lindsay it depends how far up the "high reserve" list you are, because I was told there are 15 people on it... so if you are 15th you don't have much chance, but if you are 1st there's a very good chance. Might be worth getting in touch and asking :smile:
Reply 14
Hey,
I got a place at newcastle, but still waitin to even hear if i have an interview at sheffield...anyone else waiting to hear? Ive rung them and they keep telling me that i'll hear in due time!:s-smilie:
Reply 15
Lucy I had that from Sheffield too... I submitted my application back in November and was only told yesterday (monday) that I have an interview this friday! I've heard quite a few students complaining about short notice so be prepared for it! :smile: I've basically had to drop everything - work & social plans to go up to sheffield.

Anyway :smile: Well done on Newcastle & good luck, would you prefer Sheffield? I thought Newcastle was really nice, was gutted I didn't get in.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Hey

Sorry to hear about Newcastle, bit of a shame when they do it that way isn't it!! It will be interesting at Essex then! Hope its not too bad, my maths isnt that great ha :smile:! x
Reply 17
Haha mine neither, but I wouldn't worry too much :smile: It wasn't a great interview technique for me at Newcastle, but I guess I can see why they do it, because the interview is more about looking at your personality/ manner than knowledge and experience which is all down on paper. Unfortunately I think I am great on the latter but not as good on the former, so interview is where I will stumble! :s-smilie:

Are you applying anywhere else/ got any offers?
Reply 18
Yes I totally understand...Universities differ on their techniques, hopefully Essex will suit you! fingers crossed! I just get soo nervous that its hard to control what comes out of my mouth ha! its rubbish when you dont know what to expect too!

I qpplied for a couple - UCL and Reading but didnt even get an interview so all my eggs are in one basket with Essex - fingers crossed for me ha!

How about you? I see you had/have a few interviews! Where would you like to go?

xx
Reply 19
Haha yeah I know what you mean about nerves :rolleyes: Hope you manage to get on at Essex, it's scary when all your eggs are in one basket! I wish more unis offered this course, it is sooo competitive :frown: I heard UCL is the most competitive so don't worry about not getting an interview there!

I applied to all the unis that do it other than the London ones as I don't want to live in London. Out of them I have a place at QMU (but I would have to pay fees there!), an interview at Sheffield on Friday and interview at Essex on the 28th April. Got a straight rejection from Reading and on the reserve list for Newcastle.

I honestly don't mind out of Sheffield and Essex, both are preferable to paying fees at QMU :P And both are really nice unis so I would be happy with either! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest