The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

The title says it all really XD.

hajimema****e!
watashi no namae wa Rian desu! Nihongo wo benkyou ****e imasu. (Awe, this post won't accept katakana/hiragana/kanji input)

:P Nice to meet you everyone. My name is Rhian. I'm studying Japanese.

I'm not very good yet but I've starting practising already because I've heard this course is really intense.

Also, is anyone going to the Visiting Day on April 6th? You'll see me wandering around in a blind panic if you happen to be there too XD. I would love to talk to any current students of the course if anyone is free.

Has anyone got any advice about the course? Any pointers from current students would really help me out.

Tata for now
Thank you reading this :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there :]

I'm going to be firming Sheffield as soon as SOAS get back to me, I haven't learnt too much yet, just the kana and a handful of kanji but it's so enjoyable to learn :tongue:

Yup I'll be at the april open day, I'll be the one asleep as I'm working the night before :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
XD Yey! Hopefully I'll see you there :biggrin:. I'm going to the Endcliff Viewing too at 12 o'clock. Are you going too?

I've got a mental image of someone falling asleep in the departmental talks now XD. If I hear snoring , :wink: I'll know who to blame XD
Reply 3
Yup I'm down for the accommodation tour but it depends if I can get there on time, as I finish work at 10, and it's a 2.5 hour drive 0_o :P

haha, I'll try my best to give the tutors a good first impression by staying awake :redface:
Reply 4
If you fall asleep and get caught out, just point to someone randomly in the crowd and go, "WHAT DID YOU PUT IN MY COFFEE?!!! WHY AM I SO TIRED NOW?!!! YOU SAID IT WAS SAFE!" :P

......O_O JUST DON'T POINT AT ME! *hides*
i started doing the japanese studies course in 2009 and have since switched to east asian studies as the japanese was crazily hard. my advice would be to study as much as you can before you go, and dont expect that knowing some japanese will make it easier. i'd done japanese for quite a few years before i went and found i'd already done pretty much all the grammer from the first term, but the kanji is a killer. i think you do 500 in your first year? with about 4 words to learn per kanji. so, my other advice would be that the more kanji you know the less stressed out you will be! any questions about year 1 feel free to ask.:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by natalie12345
i started doing the japanese studies course in 2009 and have since switched to east asian studies as the japanese was crazily hard. my advice would be to study as much as you can before you go, and dont expect that knowing some japanese will make it easier. i'd done japanese for quite a few years before i went and found i'd already done pretty much all the grammer from the first term, but the kanji is a killer. i think you do 500 in your first year? with about 4 words to learn per kanji. so, my other advice would be that the more kanji you know the less stressed out you will be! any questions about year 1 feel free to ask.:smile:

Yes, the kanji learning sounds soooo hard. Some advice from you would be really handy :biggrin:. Have you got any tips on remembering the different sounds for each individual kanji? I know what the kanji means sometimes but I don't know how it sounds because there is no furigana present. I rely heavily on furigana injection now on firefox when studying and I think I'm relying on it too much now *blush*.

I am going into the course with the idea that I am going to struggle. I'm thinking it will be very hard and I will have to study very hard XD.
i think that's a good way to go into it, it'll probably mean you'll push yourself hard enough to do well. my biggest problem was that i'd been learning for a while and had a japanese tutor who made me think that i'd find the first year super easy, which i dont think anyone ever will!

This is the kanji book used in term 1 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basic-Kanji-Book-v-1/dp/4893580914/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1300727468&sr=8-11

so it might be usefull getting that and having a look through it. Tbh i think you just need to find out the kanjis pronunciation and just learn it. In that basic kanji book you get the all the major pronunciation of each kanji and a work where it's used, which will help you remember. But i made myself flash cards of every single kanji in those books. Took ages, but possibly one of the best ways to revise!
Reply 8
Original post by natalie12345
i think that's a good way to go into it, it'll probably mean you'll push yourself hard enough to do well. my biggest problem was that i'd been learning for a while and had a japanese tutor who made me think that i'd find the first year super easy, which i dont think anyone ever will!

This is the kanji book used in term 1 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basic-Kanji-Book-v-1/dp/4893580914/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1300727468&sr=8-11

so it might be usefull getting that and having a look through it. Tbh i think you just need to find out the kanjis pronunciation and just learn it. In that basic kanji book you get the all the major pronunciation of each kanji and a work where it's used, which will help you remember. But i made myself flash cards of every single kanji in those books. Took ages, but possibly one of the best ways to revise!

Reply 9
Original post by ezia
haha that's a brilliant idea:tongue: how dare you poison my coffee ;0

.....DON'T YOU DARE!!!! *panics* *runs around in circle* *bangs head on wall* *dies* X_X

.....*Suddenly realises that someone might steal place on course now* *jumps back up*

I'M ALIVE!! DON'T STEAL MY PLACE!!! :'(

.......^_-....em.....How much sugar have I eaten today?
...............Or maybe.......What did you put in MY coffee Ezia?!!!!! XD
Reply 10
Hoho, someone's hyper :teehee:

I think I'll probably be going to Sheffield too, I just need to secure a BB or Bb which isn't that hard. But I'm being really half-arsed about learning kanji etc. I keep starting to learn, then stop for a few weeks, only to start again.

Hmmm.....I come across as somewhat lazy. I should stop that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by 07734
.....DON'T YOU DARE!!!! *panics* *runs around in circle* *bangs head on wall* *dies* X_X

.....*Suddenly realises that someone might steal place on course now* *jumps back up*

I'M ALIVE!! DON'T STEAL MY PLACE!!! :'(

.......^_-....em.....How much sugar have I eaten today?
...............Or maybe.......What did you put in MY coffee Ezia?!!!!! XD

hahaha I believe you may have had the ratio of sugar to coffee slightly off there:tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Susant
Hoho, someone's hyper :teehee:

I think I'll probably be going to Sheffield too, I just need to secure a BB or Bb which isn't that hard. But I'm being really half-arsed about learning kanji etc. I keep starting to learn, then stop for a few weeks, only to start again.

Hmmm.....I come across as somewhat lazy. I should stop that.

I prefer to say I'm "special" :wink:

Nice to meet you! *waves*

Hehe, we can struggle together learning kanji!

Good luck getting your grades! Have you firmed yet?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by ezia
hahaha I believe you may have had the ratio of sugar to coffee slightly off there:tongue:

Really? *Looks deadly serious* But I only put in 21 sugars -_-. Was that wrong? XD
Reply 14
Original post by 07734
Really? *Looks deadly serious* But I only put in 21 sugars -_-. Was that wrong? XD

not wrong at all:tongue:hehe
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by ezia
not wrong at all:tongue:hehe

*Falls into a diabetic coma* ---_________---

"Whyyyyy diddddddn't youuuuuuuu savvvvvvve meeeeeeeee?" <--- said in a ghosty voice :P XD

You know what......I think this topic used to have a point XD.

Has anyone received any maps or anything from Sheffield for the Open Day next week? Most unis send out maps and information on what the talk will be about and any extra things we should see while there.
Reply 16
Original post by 07734
*Falls into a diabetic coma* ---_________---

"Whyyyyy diddddddn't youuuuuuuu savvvvvvve meeeeeeeee?" <--- said in a ghosty voice :P XD

You know what......I think this topic used to have a point XD.

Has anyone received any maps or anything from Sheffield for the Open Day next week? Most unis send out maps and information on what the talk will be about and any extra things we should see while there.

Nope but I was sent an email with travel information and the like
Reply 17
The arts tower is very easy to find, its a tallish rectangle block opposite the SU but hidden behind a car park.

I say its easy to find, but that didn't stop me from going past it twice as I wandered on a triangular route for about 40 minutes..........
Reply 18
Original post by Susant
The arts tower is very easy to find, its a tallish rectangle block opposite the SU but hidden behind a car park.

I say its easy to find, but that didn't stop me from going past it twice as I wandered on a triangular route for about 40 minutes..........

Haha, thanks. Hopefully I'll bump into nice students who will lead panicking me there. XD I'm guaranteed to walk right passed it even if it had in big letters the words, "JAPANESE FIRMERS COME HERE!!!!!!!"

Also, yeah, I've had that e-mail too ezia. It wasn't very helpful though -_-. It just told me what I already knew :P. Also, the staff takes AGES to respond. They are super nice when they do respond but it does take aggggges! XD
Reply 19
I went to an open day last summer, and they mostly spoke about how to get in, the year abroad and then took a load of questions. But I'm guessing this one will be a bit more indepth as we all actually have offers ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending