The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think the UKPO site's not great...the explanations for one of the QR questions doesn't make any sense, there's a whole sentence and a half missing. Also, does anyone know if graphs like this are likely to come up in the real thing, as they seem really unclear when they want specific number crunching done. Atually not sure if you'll be able to see that pic...
I'm not doing very well in my revision at all, even though I've been trying really hard. The panic sets in and I just can't remember how to do basic maths functions. Also, the true/false/can't tell...I feel like the books and I are on different planets as there's one question where they even say "you can see in the text that there is a bank in Germany" which to me is like well "false"!!! But they then go on to say "but it's can't tell"! Feel like I'm in a race I'm never going to win, can't sleep, lost appetite! 31st August: end of my world! lol
Reply 6421
Original post by Loulibelle
Morning guys, there is definitely something strange about this UKPO....

- I know several people who have paid for one section to get all other sections free
- I also know people who've paid £45... who will now be somewhat annoyed!
-Last night I emailed the company saying it would be good to consider doing a one-week-only package for people with a tighter budget belt...

This was the response I got:
Okay, I'll offer you a special deal: If you use the
customised order link below for 20 pounds
within the next 2 days, you will be given
a password that gives you access to the full
database through to November.

Does this not seem unfair? unprofessional? suspicious?
It's funny because £20 was the deal I suggested...
I wonder if I'd said £5....

hm...

Original post by joeypanic
I think the UKPO site's not great...the explanations for one of the QR questions doesn't make any sense, there's a whole sentence and a half missing. Also, does anyone know if graphs like this are likely to come up in the real thing, as they seem really unclear when they want specific number crunching done. Atually not sure if you'll be able to see that pic...
I'm not doing very well in my revision at all, even though I've been trying really hard. The panic sets in and I just can't remember how to do basic maths functions. Also, the true/false/can't tell...I feel like the books and I are on different planets as there's one question where they even say "you can see in the text that there is a bank in Germany" which to me is like well "false"!!! But they then go on to say "but it's can't tell"! Feel like I'm in a race I'm never going to win, can't sleep, lost appetite! 31st August: end of my world! lol

The Big Medicine UKCAT 2012 Entry Discussion and Results Thread should have all the answers to your questions about UKCAT, if not, I'm sure someone there would answer them :smile:
Reply 6422
Original post by tbag1
The Big Medicine UKCAT 2012 Entry Discussion and Results Thread should have all the answers to your questions about UKCAT, if not, I'm sure someone there would answer them :smile:

Could you post the link for the UKPO please? :smile:
Reply 6423
Original post by ChangedMyMind
I think I probably started a bit early - I know most people do 1-2 weeks preparation and do fine. I was planning to do that until I realised how difficult I found the AR at first, panicked a wee bit and started cramming!

What practice did you do in order to make AR easier? I've done the 600Q questions but still can't do any new ones :/
Reply 6424
Original post by Cleoleo
Could you post the link for the UKPO please? :smile:

The what now? :hmmmm2:
Reply 6425
Original post by tbag1
The what now? :hmmmm2:

lol...The UKPO site... I'm assuming it's a site?
Reply 6426
Original post by Cleoleo
lol...The UKPO site... I'm assuming it's a site?

Haven't heard of it.

There's oneexamination.com which is supposed to be good. However, I only used 600Q and the UKCAT practice tests from the website.
Reply 6428
Reply 6429
Original post by tbag1
Haven't heard of it.

There's oneexamination.com which is supposed to be good. However, I only used 600Q and the UKCAT practice tests from the website.

Thanks again! :smile:
Original post by Shaz51
Hey guys, can somebody tell me if A*A*B is a good grade to apply to a medical degree.
Many thanks!

It is good, but Med Schools would rather you have AAA. unless of course they ask for A*AA or AAB. This year, most schools ask for AAA, even though last year they asked for AAB (Sheffield for example). So having > AAA is important, dont assume that the two A*'s will make up for a B because they wont.
Reply 6431
Original post by Shaz51
Hey guys, can somebody tell me if A*A*B is a good grade to apply to a medical degree.
Many thanks!

Depends, what subjects did you get the 2A*S and B ?
Any tips from someone who has done it? :wink:

Mainly don't leave it till the last minute! Big mistake! Also when going through questions and stuff don't give up if you can't do it. I made both those mistakes and maybe if I hadn't I might've gotten in... maybe not but I like to blame the ukcat for my failings :tongue:

Tip for in the exam that you've probably already read in a book or something is that if you're stuck on a question just give an educated test and move on cause you have no where near enough time although not too many - yet another mistake I probably made... but i'm learning :biggrin:

How's your revision for it going? Hopefully better than mine :biggrin: :tongue:
Original post by Quackers93
Mainly don't leave it till the last minute! Big mistake! Also when going through questions and stuff don't give up if you can't do it. I made both those mistakes and maybe if I hadn't I might've gotten in... maybe not but I like to blame the ukcat for my failings :tongue:

Tip for in the exam that you've probably already read in a book or something is that if you're stuck on a question just give an educated test and move on cause you have no where near enough time although not too many - yet another mistake I probably made... but i'm learning :biggrin:

How's your revision for it going? Hopefully better than mine :biggrin: :tongue:

Thanks :smile: It's going pretty good! I am much happier with AR now and I am doing a bit of QR. I am happy enough with VR and DA! Good luck for your test!
Thanks :smile: It's going pretty good! I am much happier with AR now and I am doing a bit of QR. I am happy enough with VR and DA! Good luck for your test!

Good good, glad the revision is working :smile: Hmmm I'm thinking I should now go and do some for a few hours...

Good luck with yours too :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
From experience I'd start now. That way you at least get an idea of how much work you need to do. I stupidly started wayyyyyyyyyy to late last year and really panicked myself whereas if I started a few weeks before I would've known what to really work on :smile:

I think I probably started a bit early - I know most people do 1-2 weeks preparation and do fine. I was planning to do that until I realised how difficult I found the AR at first, panicked a wee bit and started cramming!

Thanks guys, I suppose I'd rather be over-prepared than massively panicked :smile:

Original post by Loulibelle
Morning guys, there is definitely something strange about this UKPO....

- I know several people who have paid for one section to get all other sections free
- I also know people who've paid £45... who will now be somewhat annoyed!
-Last night I emailed the company saying it would be good to consider doing a one-week-only package for people with a tighter budget belt...

This was the response I got:
Okay, I'll offer you a special deal: If you use the
customised order link below for 20 pounds
within the next 2 days, you will be given
a password that gives you access to the full
database through to November.

Does this not seem unfair? unprofessional? suspicious?
It's funny because £20 was the deal I suggested...
I wonder if I'd said £5....

hm...

I also emailed them and got pretty much the same message.. makes me feel a bit iffy about them.. :s-smilie:
I paid for one section and got all the sections for free...
Reply 6437
I paid for one section and got all the sections for free...

same
Reply 6438
Original post by Shaz51
Many thanks!

All medical schools require AAA at A Level with the exception of Cambridge (A*AA). However, if you got A*s in Chemistry and Biology (or another science) you may still stand a pretty good chance.
Original post by Vulpes
All medical schools require AAA at A Level with the exception of Cambridge (A*AA). However, if you got A*s in Chemistry and Biology (or another science) you may still stand a pretty good chance.

Sheffield gave many AAB offers last year and I've been told it's highly likely that they will again this year,

Latest

Trending

Trending