The Student Room Group

Student Finance & NHS Bursary questions

Hello, I'll be starting a Nursing course in September at Leeds Met and the tuition fees are funded by the NHS, but I'm getting really confused with my Student Finance and my Bursary from the NHS.
My nursing course is degree course, not the diploma one, but will my bursary be income-assessed or non income-assessed?? Also, on the NHS website bursary calculator, if I select the first option of 'Diploma HE Nursing / Midwifery or ODP', the bursary comes to almost £7k, but if I select 'Other Health Professional', it comes to about £3k. Why is that?
I live with my mum, also. Will my bursary be depedent on her income if it's income-assessed or will it depend on mine? I'm currently doing volunteer work but I'm not in a full or part time job.
Will applying for a NHS bursary affect anything on my student finance? Should I complete my student finance after I've gotten a figure from the NHS?
Sorry for all the questions, no one in my family has attended university so I'm panicing at the minute, I don't really have anyone to help me out with this.
Original post by c0rvida3
Hello, I'll be starting a Nursing course in September at Leeds Met and the tuition fees are funded by the NHS, but I'm getting really confused with my Student Finance and my Bursary from the NHS.
My nursing course is degree course, not the diploma one, but will my bursary be income-assessed or non income-assessed??

As it's a degree course, it is income assessed.

Also, on the NHS website bursary calculator, if I select the first option of 'Diploma HE Nursing / Midwifery or ODP', the bursary comes to almost £7k, but if I select 'Other Health Professional', it comes to about £3k. Why is that?

Diploma students aren't eligible for a student loan or grant, therefore they get the non-income assessed amount of around £6000. Degree students can get a non-income assessed reduced loan of £2324, therefore they (and you will) get less bursary.

I live with my mum, also. Will my bursary be depedent on her income if it's income-assessed or will it depend on mine? I'm currently doing volunteer work but I'm not in a full or part time job.

Unless you have been independently financially for 3 years prior to your course starting, then it will be assessed on your mother's income.

Will applying for a NHS bursary affect anything on my student finance? Should I complete my student finance after I've gotten a figure from the NHS?

Being eligible for a NHS bursary means that you aren't eligible for a SF maintenance grant, and can only receive a reduced portion of the non-income assessed student loan, as I previously mentioned.

Do your Student Finance application now. If you wait for the NHS forms to be released, you will miss the SF deadline. The NHS forms aren't published until late May-June time, and they won't tell you how much you are eligible for until about a month before you go to uni (if you apply promptly).

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hello!

I am also really confused/pannicking.

I have a conditional offer for a nursing degree course and am trying to sort out my student finance. The fees for the course are paid for by the NHS, does anyone know how i sort this out though ? Like i have been trying to sort it out through student finance but its not recognising my course and im wandering whether i am supposed to be doing it another way ?! If anyone could make this any less complicated than im making it id be very greatful :smile: Thanks
Original post by ella4
Hello!

I am also really confused/pannicking.

I have a conditional offer for a nursing degree course and am trying to sort out my student finance. The fees for the course are paid for by the NHS, does anyone know how i sort this out though ? Like i have been trying to sort it out through student finance but its not recognising my course and im wandering whether i am supposed to be doing it another way ?! If anyone could make this any less complicated than im making it id be very greatful :smile: Thanks

You apply for the student loan through Student Finance, but the tuition fees are paid automatically, so you don't need to worry about that. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
You apply for the student loan through Student Finance, but the tuition fees are paid automatically, so you don't need to worry about that. :smile:

Thankyou SO much! So i dont need to take out a loan to cover the fees as they are automatically paid? But what i do need to do is take out a maintenance loan ? Also, do you know how you sort out a bursary ? Thanks :smile:
Original post by ella4
Thankyou SO much! So i dont need to take out a loan to cover the fees as they are automatically paid? But what i do need to do is take out a maintenance loan ? Also, do you know how you sort out a bursary ? Thanks :smile:

As you're entitled to a bursary, you can only get the non-means tested portion of the student loan, so it's a lot easier to apply for (no sending in evidence etc.). Go to this page and create an account (if you haven't already) and follow the instructions to apply for finance.

When you receive your Customer Reference Number from the NHS in the post, download the 2011/2012 NHS bursary form from here. It won't be published until May-June time, so keep checking the page for the form.

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
As you're entitled to a bursary, you can only get the non-means tested portion of the student loan, so it's a lot easier to apply for (no sending in evidence etc.). Go to this page and create an account (if you haven't already) and follow the instructions to apply for finance.

When you receive your Customer Reference Number from the NHS in the post, download the 2011/2012 NHS bursary form from here. It won't be published until May-June time, so keep checking the page for the form.

Lifesaver!Thankyou :smile:
Reply 8

Being eligible for a NHS bursary means that you aren't eligible for a SF maintenance grant, and can only receive a reduced portion of the non-income assessed student loan, as I previously mentioned.

Hi, I am doing radiography next year and I was just wondering what to do. I don't think i will be eligible for the NHS bursary, so when completing my student finance can i put no (where it says am i eligible) and receive more loan?

Thankss
Original post by Beatrice19
Hi, I am doing radiography next year and I was just wondering what to do. I don't think i will be eligible for the NHS bursary, so when completing my student finance can i put no (where it says am i eligible) and receive more loan?

Thankss

No. Student Finance will know that your course is eligible whether you state it or not, as it's a healthcare degree by name.
Does anyone know what the threshold is for applying for the nhs bursary? Like if my folks earn a certain amount of money that I'm not eligible for the bursay, that's what I'm meaning.
Original post by Charlottelisabeth
Does anyone know what the threshold is for applying for the nhs bursary? Like if my folks earn a certain amount of money that I'm not eligible for the bursay, that's what I'm meaning.

I think it's £45,000 or £50,000. Trouble is, you seem to be able to put any figure into the NHS bursary calculator and get an estimate of about £2000! :facepalm:
I am applying for diagnostic radiography and was wondering if I get a part time job will it affect bursary in any way? Also what is a maintenence loan thingy and why do I need to apply for it? I applied through student finance and it said my fees are paid for by nhs so I can only apply for maintenence loab through student finance right?
Reply 13
I am a single parent wit a nursing offer,I am work g at the moment but I will stop once the course commenses I don't know what to do do I declare my salary even if I am going to resign? Please advise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending