The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

New student-TU100 October 2011.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Yes I think that's where the confusion is. You watch or listen to the interviews. You don't take part in them.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 181
hi everyone know it sound daft but do u know the link for the tma assesment questions for tu100 im new to this and need some help regards paul
Original post by paulchef
hi everyone know it sound daft but do u know the link for the tma assesment questions for tu100 im new to this and need some help regards paul

If no-one has noticed the TMA's for TMA01 and TMA02 are now availble on the TU100 module site
Thanks, that helps :smile: I saw it on a blog that was linked at the start of this thread.
Reply 184
It's all gone a bit silent on this thread. :smile: How's the course so far?
Reply 185
I am signed up for this course for February next year. A bit worrying that everyone currently on it has gone silent! Is the work load that bad?
Reply 186
The course wasn't a front used by aliens to abduct people was it? :biggrin:
Reply 187
Maybe the early version of the senseboard contains a supervirus that has wiped them all out?

Sorry have just been reading up on the new film "Contagion". :biggrin:
Reply 188
I like the sound of Contagion as well! Loved Outbreak, well the first half! Might as well talk movies if we can't talk TU100.
Reply 189
Hi everyone :smile:

I've just signed up for the Feb 2012 start date of TU100 and would like to chinwag with others already on the course to get an idea of what's ahead and find out what you think of it.

Does anyone suggest any good books or anything to get me prepared?

Thanks

Claire
Reply 190
All the folks who were excitedly chattering on here before the course started, all seem to have disappeared down a black hole!!
Reply 191
Unfortuantly TU100 appears to be a front for forced euthanasia. Dignitas in Switzerland have a lot to answer for. :frown:
Hi to all!
No we haven't all been abducted by aliens or started to eat Swiss cheese.
The course sort of takes over your life and having done a 30 point course last year this 60 point course keeps you on your toes.

There have been a number of complaints mostly about mistakes occurring with computerised online ongoing tests (iCMA's) and TMA's (Tutor Marked Assignments) and that it seems that the course team are writing the course up as they go along or so it seems.

You can't just sit back and relax with this course and time management is very important. There is a combination of online material and printed word and use of the senseboard, which looks like a printed circuit.

Its all good fun so dont be put off in any way.

Looking at later programming skills you will acquire using sense and the senseboard looks quite daunting but working through the exercises it all becomes clear and absolute beginners who were cautious about their ability to cope are now more confident in their learning abilities.

I'm finding the course challenging not in its intellectual sense but in the material you have to wade through and undertstand in a set timescale.

All in all and so far its very enjoyable and one I would recommend to everybody.
Cheers
-rob
Reply 193
Good to hear from you Rob and that you are all alive and well!! :biggrin: That's the trouble with new courses. You act as the guinea pigs for those who follow. I bet experience with Lego Mindstorm would help with the sense board.
Popular course as Feb start is sold out and I bet October 2012 will be as well, as existing students do it on the cheap!!

S104 is pretty demanding for time as well. Lots of my leisure books and subscription mags are not getting read!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 194
One of the October TU100 student lives! :wink:

I am excited to start the course and hopefully some of the issues will have been ironed out by then (hopefully have been now for the October lot!). Assuming I pass (big assumption!) I will be able to claim a Cert of Higher Education after this one and as I only have GCSE's, that's a big deal to me!
Reply 195
Original post by MC2705
I will be able to claim a Cert of Higher Education after this one and as I only have GCSE's, that's a big deal to me!

Well done in anticipation MC :wink:

I'm on the first running for the short course S175 The Frozen Planet and so far so good I have to say :smile:
The forum is extremely busy with a wide mix of abilities and backgrounds it would seem. Apart from the odd minor error in the textbook (four at last count I think) there haven't been any other teething issues to speak of.

I've definitely caught the OU bug and am now signed up for a whole 120 points this year with MU123 running alongside S104 but with my background it's easily doable and if anything MU123 will be a bit of a cop out just to get 30 "easy" points to complete my level 1 study :colondollar:

Nitebot... I'm even more glad now that I'm getting such a great headstart with S104 :wink:
Reply 196
Original post by Ecotox
I'm so jealous of you all starting in October!!!!!!

I know you're gonna have your hands full getting your head around all the info, but if you get a chance it'd be great if you could give any pointers to those of us starting in February about study topics / suggested readings etc. Particularly from the beginning of the course?

Hope things go well for you! :smile:

Original post by robbierobot
Will do all we can do keep you informed.
Once I have a better look at the contents of the box I'll give you an idea of whats we have to expect and will keep in touch with the course progress.
Cheers
Rob

Hi everyone!

Hope the course is going well for you all out there? It sounds like it's a handful!

If anyone feels in a position to spare a few minutes to throw out some suggested topics and/or reading material for us February starters it'd be really great :-)
Reply 197
Hi all....starting TU100 in Feb 2012...... wondering what maths i will need to look at before starting? Thanks :-) Eric
Reply 198
Hi all,

Another October TU100 survivor (just about) here! Loving all the conspiracy theories that have developed :smile: I haven't been around much as I've had quite a bit going on lately and with the course, work and everything else time is precious lol Sorry for not being around to help guys and gals!

As I've said before, this is my first course with the OU and I have to say I'm very impressed :smile: There have been some issues as Rob (alright mate!) pointed out, with the one of the TMA questions and one of the iCMAs. But I think it its down to this being the first run of the course and it hasn't been too bad.

The module website is very useful, especially the study calendar and the forums are really busy! From what I've heard and read on here this isn't usually the case on OU forums. Everyone on the course seems really nice and willing to help, with a wide range of backgrounds and experience.

Now on to the work.... Dun dun dun! :smile: As Rob also mentioned, it is a 60 point course, so there is a fair bit to get through. But all in all the content is interesting, informative and eases you in gently. I actually enjoy studying which is something I've not really experienced before lol You cover pretty much every aspect of digital technology, looking at the origins right the way through to what the future may hold. Topics include (off the top of my head so bear with me) telephones, computers, social networking, cloud computing, binary logic, taking notes and the web. Really haven't had much time to play around with sense and the senseboard but from what I have done its really enjoyable and easy to get your head round. It's definitely a great way to get an understanding of how programming works.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to make it to any of the day schools or tutorials but from what I've heard they're very helpful as well. Also my tutor posts an overview of the session in our tutor group forum so you can see what was covered. Hoping to make it to the next one though!

Sorry for the essay guys, just felt bad for not giving some feedback so thought I'd give you all something to read! Any more questions or anything, please feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 199
Oh and at the end of the course I'm getting some "I survived TU100" T-shirts printed up :smile: Let me know if you're interested! Lol

Quick Reply

Latest