The Student Room Group

not wearing headscarf anymore

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 99luft Balons
"786" is the total value of the letters of "Bismillah al-Rahman al-Rahim". In Arabic there are two methods of arranging letters. One method is the most common method known as the alphabetical method. Here we begin with Alif, ba, ta, tha etc. The other method is known as the Abjad method or ordinal method. In this method each letter has an arithmetic value assigned to it from one to one thousand. The letters are arranged in the following order: Abjad, Hawwaz, Hutti, Kalaman, Sa'fas, Qarshat, Sakhaz, Zazagh. This arrangement was done, most probably in the 3rd century of Hijrah during the 'Abbasid period, following other Semitic languages such as Phoenician, Aramaic, Hebrew, Syriac, Chaldean etc.

If you take the numeric values of all the letters of the Basmalah, according to the Abjad order, the total will be 786. In the Indian subcontinent the Abjad numerals became quite popular. Some people, mostly in India and Pakistan, use 786 as a substitute for Bismillah. They write this number to avoid writing the name of Allah or the Qur'anic ayah on ordinary papers. This tradition is not from the time of the Prophet -peace be upon him- or his Sahabah. It developed much later, perhaps during the later 'Abbasid period. We do not know of any reputable Imams or Jurists who used this number instead of the Bismillah.

You could still follow Islam and all it's properties and be a good Muslim without wearing a hijab.

Do you still believe in the religion and Allah?

Oh, I see now. Ive never heard of this before. So sorry... but thanks for making me aware of that:smile:
Original post by Golden_Boy786
Ye could be, btw this thread is getting really repetitive. The OP needs to make up her mind, coz i wasted my whole afternoon yesterday replying to her problems...
lol :yawn:

I know right. Everyone keeps asking her the same stuff. What does OP mean?? Everyone says it on here and Im like :confused:.
Lol. And it may not be a waste, cause who knows, you may get rewarded for helping her out :tongue:
Reply 202
Original post by Iqbal007

well it will affect your family.........you know how asian families are about having honour, etc many other families gossip especially in Sotuh asian culture, about how one member of the family is doing so and so and has a effect on the rest. You never know, thats why you cant rule it out.

I get what you mean, you feel as though your not living up to the expectation of the hijab stands for. Its more than hijab it includes your modesty, etc.
Have you thought about talking to someone who themselves went through the same phase?
How come your losing your confidence?

erm ive never really cared what people think. still dont. but i do agree, i probably will be looked down upon as it sort of contradicts my whole life and upbringing. and the types of stuff my family anti-promote. if you get what i mean. i just dont want to be a muslim anymore... i dont know whether itll be permanent or not, but for now (well began about 8 months ago) i dont want to be anything.

yup am not liiving upto the expectation, but it is wrong to "identity" yourself as a muslim when your not.
erm i dont have any muslim friends

Original post by rommy123
Yup your right, When i took it off people started wondering why but I ignored them, and everything went back to normal. I would advise you to talk to your parents abut it, I spoke to my mum and she understood where I was coming from.

perhaps i should, but my mum wouldnt understand me religeous views. she`d lecture me and try some religeous renovation thing. i wont be comfortable with that.

and the guy who said "following shaitin, and something about praying for me like im a really bad person or something" and the others like such.

reactions like that are freaking me out. i think this is a bigger deal than i anticipated. i may just start uni and send my family a random email explaining my views on my life... because if you guys, who dont even know me, nor really care much about me tbh have such "strong views" the reaction from those who adore me and have known me my whole life, i dont even know what to think anymore.
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
I'm not even joking when I say I feel sorry for you and your family....I'll make a dua for you so inshallah Alllah, our Lord almighty will strengthen you in Iman...Resist Satan sister!

SubhanAllah, :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
yes. i have an english translation (irfan ul quran ) but i (am/was) more of a rumi fan- i like his poetry and his transformation due to shibli.

no thats the date thats written when you post anon.

thanks, but my family also sing asian songs and other stuff too. moderate in alot of ways but they hold them religeous values at heart.

and the hijab quotes- listend to many lectures on the subject. i wont be able to say "mum i dont feel the hijab is right anymore" as there is far too much evidence to support it, plus i had planned to do some religeous look modelling in the summer (i even began designng a whole scarf-wardrobe look) so id lose that argument too. so i would have to admit. im not religeous anymore. i dont believe...:s-smilie:

uni will make it easier, but i still love my family, and regardless of my future i still want to stay close to them.

You wanna do modelling :sexface:. Are you sure its only for religious purposes?:tongue:

Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
I know right. Everyone keeps asking her the same stuff. What does OP mean?? Everyone says it on here and Im like :confused:.
Lol. And it may not be a waste, cause who knows, you may get rewarded for helping her out :tongue:

Your right, i just meant that people are just putting the OP under more pressure. Now she probably finds it a lot harder to make her decision. :cool:

P.S just a message to the OP don't do something silly e.g fall from a cliff or somethin :s-smilie: you'll regret it afterwards :naughty:
SubhanAllah, :biggrin:

nice one bro :wink:
Original post by TheDizzeeKid
nice one bro :wink:

Im impressed by what you said. Only if all Muslim brother and sisters had the same outlook towards life as you do. :smile:
This seems quite simple to me. If you don't feel that religion is for you, and you see your headscarf as a symbol of that religion, then stop wearing it.

Even if your religion dicates consequences for not wearing the headscarf or that it is "sinful", why should it matter to you if you give no bearing on that religion?

If your family are accepting, then take it off, but if they are really strict about it, wait till university.
I cannot understand why there is so much discussion on this, OP if you dont want to wear it, then dont.

This way if in the future you feel that you made the wrong choice you can start wearing it again.

If you dont take it off, you will never know whether you actually WANT to wear it or not. As far as the family issues are concerned, well you just have to deal with it, best of luck.

/close thread alreadyy
i r8 ma sistarz who wear the hijab, Subhan Allah!
erm ive never really cared what people think. still dont. but i do agree, i probably will be looked down upon as it sort of contradicts my whole life and upbringing. and the types of stuff my family anti-promote. if you get what i mean. i just dont want to be a muslim anymore... i dont know whether itll be permanent or not, but for now (well began about 8 months ago) i dont want to be anything.

yup am not liiving upto the expectation, but it is wrong to "identity" yourself as a muslim when your not.
i dont have any muslim friends

perhaps i should, but my mum wouldnt understand me religeous views. she`d lecture me and try some religeous renovation thing. i wont be comfortable with that.

and the guy who said "following shaitin, and something about praying for me like im a really bad person or something" and the others like such.

reactions like that are freaking me out. i think this is a bigger deal than i anticipated. i may just start uni and send my family a random email explaining my views on my life... because if you guys, who dont even know me, nor really care much about me tbh have such "strong views" the reaction from those who adore me and have known me my whole life, i dont even know what to think anymore.

Don't worry you can count me as your 'Muslim friend' :wink:
Reply 211

and me :biggrin:
Reply 212
You wanna do modelling :sexface:. Are you sure its only for religious purposes?:tongue:

firstly "religeous look" does not mean me walking around in a bikini! modelling is to promote "modest clothing" aka covering and stylish.

ok? :confused:

Im impressed by what you said. Only if all Muslim brother and sisters had the same outlook towards life as you do. :smile:

what outlook?
Original post by ThatPerson
This seems quite simple to me. If you don't feel that religion is for you, and you see your headscarf as a symbol of that religion, then stop wearing it.

Even if your religion dicates consequences for not wearing the headscarf or that it is "sinful", why should it matter to you if you give no bearing on that religion?

If your family are accepting, then take it off, but if they are really strict about it, wait till university.

thanks, i wish it was as simply as this! :smile:
Reply 213
Original post by Silver Lining
there is no such thing as a good Muslim. no one can judge who is a good or bad Muslim, only Allah can. and it is compulsory for a Muslim woman to cover herself from her non-mehram, it is a sign of a Muslim woman. it is written in the Quran. I do apologise for bringing this up but what you said is wrong.

headscarfs do more bad than good though
firstly "religeous look" does not mean me walking around in a bikini! modelling is to promote "modest clothing" aka covering and stylish.

what outlook?

Modelling doesn't imply that you have to wear "Bikini's".

I wasn't referring to you, i was talking to somebody else. :rolleyes:
Reply 215
Modelling doesn't imply that you have to wear "Bikini's".

I wasn't referring to you, i was talking to somebody else. :rolleyes:

sorry i apologise :smile:
The best thing to do is talk to your parents, trying to keep it secretive will just bring you trouble. If I was a parent, I'd rather my children be honest with me rather than secretive (whether I agree with them or not).
I have a friend who tried wearing a hijab a one point but then took it off a few months later because her mother didn't wear it so she found it hard.

Good luck! : )
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending