The Student Room Group

MSc in CFD : Cranfield or Leeds? Help !!! Your views on the matter

Scroll to see replies

Original post by callmejackie
Me again.

Just thought, I would update the thread with my experience so that any future student can go through and get the feel.

I just finished my MSc in CFD at Cranfield University. Dr. Drikakis was the head, and Dr. Ben Thornber was our course director during my time. (Dr. Ben later moved out and was replaced by Dr. Nick towards the final few months of my course ).

11 Compulsory modules plus 5 electives (chosen from a list of 7) will keep you up and working even through Christmas night. The modules are taught by a VERY friendly group of professors who are very knowledgeable and experienced when it comes to research oriented CFD and numerics. They wont work you too hard but, will give you tasks ( assignments for every module ) which will keep your bum on fire. Time management is the very first thing you will learn at Cranfield. There is an extensive library and a huge collection of journals and publishings both in hard copies as well as soft copies. Moreover, Cranfield Uni Library - The Lord Kings Norton Library is connected to almost all the technical Universities around the globe and can pull out any resources from any one of them for free in just a few hours.
Cranfield also houses a very large HPC cluster for scientific computing and several small ones in each departments, and MSc CFD students are its biggest customers. During thesis times, even these systems will be very busy and running at full load with a long queue.

Talking about living in Cranfield, the Engligh coutryside is very soothing and serene..offering long walks, bike rides and other adventures.. The village of Cranfield, is around 30minutes walk away ( 5 min bus ride) from the Uni and has two supermarkets, a surgery, a postoffice, churches and park. Its a nice very nice place to stay if you dont get accommodation in the halls.

I think thats it.. I could go on and on, but, enough for now.. If there is anything else anyone wants to know, just drop in a message.. I will be more than happy to reply..

Hi,

I know this is a really old message but I wanted to take my chance. I have an offer for the MSc. in CFD, would you be willing to answer some questions?
Original post by liam210399
Hi,

I know this is a really old message but I wanted to take my chance. I have an offer for the MSc. in CFD, would you be willing to answer some questions?

Hey liam210399.

I just replied to your post in the other thread, but if I can help with any questions please ask :smile:
In case the other poster doesn't respond you can check out the university blog, most of the posts are written by students, so you can get an idea of what studying here is like:
https://blogs.cranfield.ac.uk/?s=cfd

Katherine
Student Ambassador
Grettings from Colombia. I am petroleum engineer, in the undegraduted, I lear sometime about python, matlab and fortran. My english level is B2. I am trying to study the EDP's and trying to solve simply cases. But I don´t know how is the application process to the master in CFD at Cranfield University. Also what is the possibility to get a fellowship in that master studies. I want to study that program, but my economical situation it is not plenty in the near future.
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi lahz.9311!

Great to hear you're thinking of coming to Cranfield.
We do offer an MSc in Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD): https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/Courses/Taught/computational-fluid-dynamics
The website has lots of information on the course, the module options, career options etc, so I'd recommend gibing it a thorough read.
There is also more information on our blogs, most of which are written by students so it gives you a good idea of what it's like to study here: https://blogs.cranfield.ac.uk/?s=cfd&post_type%5B%5D=any&search_limit_to_post_titles=0&fs=1
You can apply online via the website above.

In terms of entry requirements, we wouldn't usually accept the B2 English accreditation but because of the impact COVID has had we have included it in our accepted tests, the require score is a High Pass overall and 33 in all skill components. More information can be found here: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/study/taught-degrees/entry-requirements/english-language-requirements

If you require funding, there may be grants or scholarships available, we have a funding finder tool on our website, you will have to search to find funding that is suitable for you: https://search.cranfield.ac.uk/s/search.html?collection=cranfield-meta&f.Tabs%7Ccranfield-funding=Funding&_ga=2.235777985.1920893436.1628592890-1440527517.1575757118

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions about the course or life here in general then please ask here :smile:

Katherine
Student Ambassador

Original post by lahz.9311
Grettings from Colombia. I am petroleum engineer, in the undegraduted, I lear sometime about python, matlab and fortran. My english level is B2. I am trying to study the EDP's and trying to solve simply cases. But I don´t know how is the application process to the master in CFD at Cranfield University. Also what is the possibility to get a fellowship in that master studies. I want to study that program, but my economical situation it is not plenty in the near future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending