The Student Room Group

When did your parents stop giving you birthday presents?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I stopped getting birthday presents at 11 because my mother was a single mum and was working part time as a nurse.
Im turning 11 tomorrow and my mom and dad saud they will not give me anything becuase im greedy but im not i never ask them for stuff unless its for my baby brother
I still get presents from my parents. We don't do extravagant parties now that we're grown but there's always effort to make each others birthdays meaningful.
I stopped asking/getting presents at age 13...mainly because I couldn't be bothered with birthdays or anything anymore
I'm 18 and they haven't stopped thankfully 😁
Reply 45
Do some people's parents seriously stop giving them birthday presents past a certain age?

Is this for real?

Jesus ....what scrooge like parents...
Today was my birthday and even though I sound selfish, I recieved nothing and cried for 3 hours straight in my room as everyone else in the house sleeps. They all got presents on their special day, but not me :frown: I'm really bumbed tbh.
Last birthday present I received was at nine years old. I didn't get one for most of those years either.
Since I started secondary school. although it was my own choice. I don’t really like to celebrate my birthday because it’s during the 2nd last test season we have in school (my school has 4 test seasons) and all I really have time to do during this time is study so I can’t really enjoy it. Instead of a birthday present I just get a better Christmas present (like a iPhone 7 over the iPhone 6)
They stopped when I was 8 years old.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'll be 26 in a few weeks and I still get birthday and Christmas presents and I still give my family presents too. I am an only child and only grandchild.
So I’m 14 (about to be 15 in a few days) and I haven’t gotten a single present since I was 10. When I was ten I had a party but it was just inviting a few friends to go to corn maze with me and I got an American girl doll which was probably the most expensive gift I had ever gotten but my parents and grandparents all bought it together. My two little siblings were born when I was ten. So I guess you could say that when they were born I stopped getting presents and being allowed to have parties. Probably because my parents are always low on money since they spoil the crap out of my little siblings and also my older sister. The littles get literally whatever they want whenever they want. The other day my mom took the littles to target and said they could each get a $10 toy but my brother had a melt down in the store cause he didn’t want a $10 toy he wanted a $50 Batman set. Of course she got it for him so he’d shut up and get off the floor. I know that it’s obvious that she’d probably get them more since their younger and want toys and stuff and I don’t want any toys but the thing is when I was little she didn’t ever spend that much money on toys and stuff I wanted. I’m also not allowed to get new clothes apparently unless I buy them but seriously where am I gonna get enough money to buy a bunch of clothes that actually fit me. I’m 14 I can’t really get a job anywhere. I have like no clothes that actually fit me at the moment and they won’t buy me any. My older brother gets a decent amount of stuff but not as much as our two younger siblings and oldest sister. So I guess it could kinda be a middle child thing. Idk either way it’s really unfair and I hate it.
Reply 52
14, i get presents for Christmas but since money tight I have to choose between a Christmas or birthday present. I am turning 16 next year! I’m buying myself something nice on my birthdayThe best gifts are the ones you buy yourself:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending