Height: 6ft
    Weight: ~98kg

Starting PRs:
    Press: 68.5*5
    Bench Press: 112.5*5
    Oly Squat: 132.5*5
    Deadlift: 180*6
    Pendlay row: 107.5*8

Goal: First and foremost strength, secondly muscle mass; being awesome in general.

Routine: Tweaked madcow with 5/3/1 for the press and deadlift.

The fact that I'm making this on the 1st of jan is purely coincidental

Update (1/04/2013):

Spoiler:
    Show

So basically for those of you that don't pay close attention or have just entered my humble blog, the past three months have been pretty damn poor compared to those before I started this blog. tl;dr version is basically:

Stalled on everything
    Accumulated some kind of tendonitis in my knee and pec within the same time frame which meant that I couldn't squat, bench or OHP.

Worked around the injuries and I'm now hopefully back on track to getting stronger.

Bench has now been replaced with the push press. Did not set any PRs over the past 3 months so my best is still 112.5*5. It was about the only thing I could do with bad pecs and I quite like the movement so I've kept it as a mainstay for now. Currently at 83.5*3 and doing a Texas method style of programming for it. Plan to just increase the volume when need be. Short term goals are 87.5*3 and 100 for a single.

I'm slowly reworking OHP back to where I was. Again I did not set any PRs so my best is still 68.5*5. Will be doing this lift with a heavy and medium day and plan to just increase the volume when need be.

Oly squat increased to 125*8 however this movement aggravates my knee so I've switch to a more powerlifting type squat, with a wider stance, low bar and to parallel or just below. Currently at 137.5*3 but this should increase very quickly as this was easy. My routine for this is some kind of linear progression that I just plucked off the top of my head that involves hitting a heavy triple each workout with a few lighter sets of 3s; I wanted to get a heavy barbell on my back asap.

Replaced Pendlay rows with power cleans as I simply got bored of them and wanted to do some other kind of assistance. Worked up to 111*8 which is not too bad. Currently doing power cleans three times a week, normally with something like 10 singles or 5*3. Started at 70*1 but increased them to 92.5*1 in a couple months, so they're not doing too bad.

Deadlift only increased to 182.5*6. Original plan was to try and up my squat and see where this takes my Deadlift while doing 5/3/1 but this never occurred due to stalling and becoming injured. Hopefully this will now be able to happen now that I'm back on track. Deadlift is still on 5/3/1 but it seems to take a long time for anything to happen, only increased it from 180*5 to 182.5*6 in 4 months (only ~9kg 'theoretical' increase in 1RM if I'm lucky). Will see where upping my squat takes it within the next couple months and possibly add assistance such as Good mornings or SLDLs if I'm not satisfied.

BW is currently around 95kg, so lost a bit of weight even though I started eating slightly more. Might up calories a tad again. Don't want to exceed far beyond 100kg though as I'm a bit fat already.

Also again, the fact that I'm making this on the 1st of april is coincidental :P

Update (02/07/2013):

Spoiler:
    Show

Finally got back into gear methinks! Progress is now starting to creep along nicely:

Push Press is currently at 90*2. Likely to drop to singles soon and possibly add some kind of special assistance exercise or variation (BTN push press, snatch grip PP, floor press with bands/chains etc) as it doesn't look like it wants to increase with my current routine for it. Still using a TM style programming for it.

Press is now at 72.5*5 so a nice little increase but not as much as I hoped. Seems like this exercise is the bane of my existence although I enjoy it. Same idea as with PP I will likely increase the intensity and maybe add a variation (incline press, pin press etc). Still Using TM style programming.

Squat has now increased from 125*8 to 160*5, pretty dramatic, although this is using a low bar to parallel style rather than high bar ATG. Honestly I'm just going to continue to using the basic TM template for squats until I need to change something. It's still going up.

Deadlift is now 195*5 from 182.5*6 and possibly more to come so I think ditching 5/3/1 was a good idea. I think I hindered myself because I didn't include enough volume (only did the base template with no BBB or anything) and I don't think the deloads are necessary (+ linear>undulating periodisation?). They just caused me to de-train then I spend two weeks regaining my strength. Three Months out of the whole year I'm growing a vagina basically. Then again I've had a sudden squat increase so that it's now 80+% of my deadlift so this may be the only reason why my deadlift is going up nicely. Current template is just the standard 75,87.5,100%*5RM with an extra set of 75% 5RM added in the week to increase the volume and frequency a bit. I think plan to make this 3 sets. **** da police I'm going full more-than-once-a-week-deadlifting.

Just to lay out my current programming for this quarter before I change it a bit soon (in a nice easy format):

Monday:

5RM Squat
    2RM Push Press
    75,87.5,100%*5RM Deadlift

Tuesday:

85-90% 5RM 5*5 Press
    80-90% (3*5)RM 6*6 BB curls

Thursday:

85-90% 5RM 5*5 Squats
    88-90% 2RM 9*2 Push Press
    75% 5RM 1*5 Deadlift
    80-90% (3*5)RM 2*6 BB curls

Saturday:

5RM Press
    80% 2RM 3*2 Push Press
    ~70% 5RM 2*5 Squat
    (3*5)RM BB curls

oh btw BW is currently around ~95kg so same as last quarter although I did drop as low as 93kg during it.

Update (01/10/2013):

Spoiler:
    Show

New program is as follows:

Monday:

Squat - cyclic
    0.5-1inch deficit deadlift - cyclic
    Pause squats 5x5

Tuesday:

Press - cyclic
    Pause OHP - cyclic
    CG incline - 5x5
    DB curls

Thursday:

Deadlift - cyclic
    Pin squat/Squat against bands - cyclic
    Sumo Deadlift - 5x5
    DB curls

Friday:

Press against bands - cyclic
    Partial OHP/some kind of high rack lockout
    CG floor press - 5x5
    DB curls

'Cyclic' refers to what cycle I'm in, volume or intensity. I'm going to start out with 6*3 @8-9 RPE (Look up RPE for yourselves) for volume and either a 3RM or 3*[email protected] RPE for intensity. I'm meant to randomly pick the set/rep protocols for each block that's given in the book. Each volume and intensity block is 3 weeks long.

So main changes with this style of program are:

I alternate volume and intensity every 3 weeks instead of within a week.
    I have far greater exercise variation which targets both lockout and bottom end strength
    I pick my weights based on how I feel instead of just doing what I plan to do. Eventually I'm going to transition into doing as many sets as possible @8-9 or 9-10 RPE as recommended in the book. Whether this is 2 or 8 it doesn't matter.

Lifts have changed/not changed from the last quarter as follows:

Press: 72.5*5 ---> 77.5*3
    Squat: 160*5 ----> 160*5
    Deadlift: 195*5 ----> 202.5*5
    Push Press: 90*2 ---> 90*2/95*1 (not doing this anymore)

Hopefully my new more advanced style of programming should help me get out of this plateau.

Update: 10/01/2014

Spoiler:
    Show

Press: 77.5*3 ---> 77.5*3

Discontinued due to frustration that no matter what I do this lift doesn't want to budge. Done a massive reset and slowly working my way back up.

Squat: 160*5 ---> 160*5

Annoyingly this lift has also stagnated it seems. 6 months of no progress. Currently doing RTS for it with Pin squats and front squats for secondary and assistance lifts.

Deadlift: 202.5*5 ---> 225*3

Deadlift seems to be making massive progress ever since I started doing this program. Very pleased.

Current programming is:

Monday:

Squat - cyclic
    0.5-1inch deficit deadlift - cyclic
    Front squats 5x5

Tuesday:

Press
    Bench Press
    Pullups

(kind of doing whatever I feel like for these lifts atm)

Thursday:

Deadlift - cyclic
    Pin squat - cyclic
    SLDL- 5x5

Friday:

Pin Press
    Bench Press
    Chinups

Update: 26/05/2014

Spoiler:
    Show

Bench Press: 112.5*5 --> 120*3

Started benching again instead of OHPing for the first time in like 13 months. Best e1rm currently 137

Squat: 160*5 ---> 180*3

Best e1rm currently 204

Deadlift: 225*3 ----> 240*2

Best e1rm currently 257

Update: 09/09/2014

Squat: 180*3 ---> 192.5*3 (@8.5) with belt

Best e1rm currently 222

Deadlift: 240*2 ----> 260 with belt

Best e1rm currently 268

Bench 120*3 ---> 122.5*3 (@8)

Best e1rm = 143

N.B Normal bench press discontinued due to injury. Focusing on CG variations.

ReputationRep:
    Seen you before on the muscle building society, nice to see you've finally got a blog

Awesome lifts btw, just wondering as you've been focussing on strength how much muscle mass have you actually gained?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    Seen you before on the muscle building society, nice to see you've finally got a blog

Awesome lifts btw, just wondering as you've been focussing on strength how much muscle mass have you actually gained?
    Hard to tell since I don't have any body fat caliper thingies. I've gained around 6kg in 7 months since I started weight training properly and as far as I can tell my bf% hasn't changed too much from looking in the mirror, or by measuring my waist (which has actually decrease a bit lol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jtking3000)
    Hard to tell since I don't have any body fat caliper thingies. I've gained around 6kg in 7 months since I started weight training properly and as far as I can tell my bf% hasn't changed too much from looking in the mirror, or by measuring my waist (which has actually decrease a bit lol).
    Making ALLL KINDZZZ OF GAINNZZZ

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday:

Squat:

62.5*8
    92.5*5
    110*1
    130*1
    122.5*8 (Minor PB)
    92.5*8

Bench:
    52.5*8
    77.5*5
    92.5*1
    110*1
    102.5*6
    77.5*8

Row:
    55*8
    80*5
    97.5*1
    112.5*1
    107.5*8
    80*8

Squats felt fine although I did lean forward a bit too much on a few reps. Bench didn't feel too good as the 6th rep felt a bit of a grind, probably would've gotten the 7th but probably fail the 8th so I just left it at 6 to try again next week. If I get it next week I'm probably going to microload to milk the cycle for all it's worth then move onto something different, possibly TM as I'm dubious about how much more I can get out of tweaking madcow.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Completely irrelevant, but I thought this had something to do with justin timberlake

ReputationRep:
    Friday:

Press:

47.5*5
    55*5
    62.5*7+f

Deadlift:

125*5
    145*5
    165*8

Pause squat:
    65*5
    82.5*3*5

A bit disappointed with failing the 8th rep of OHP as the sets preceding felt rather good and how I only narrowly missed it. Hopefully '3' week will be better.

Also for some reason Wednesday's workout gave me forearm and trap DOMS :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Sunday:

Squat:

62.5*8
    95*5
    112.5*1
    127.5*6
    Cardio: 95*12

Bench:
    52.5*8
    77.5*5
    92.5*1
    107.5*5
    77.5*12

Row:
    55*8
    82.5*5
    100*1
    112.5*6
    82.5*12

Monday:

Paused OHP: 45*8*3

Squat felt explosive when doing the first three sets, form felt pretty good throughout too. Decided to do a set of five instead of six for bench as I remember that before deloading Wednesday's bench was suddenly easy despite being beat-up when I did a heavier top set, will see if that was a fluke. Barely made the full five reps today though so I think I've buggered this cycle up but I'll plow on and see.

Mysterious soreness again in the triceps after squatting then sore as **** after bench. I have no idea why.

ReputationRep:
    Sunday:

Squat:

62.5*8
    95*5
    112.5*1
    127.5*6
    Cardio: 95*12

Bench:
    52.5*8
    77.5*5
    92.5*1
    107.5*5
    77.5*12

Row:
    55*8
    82.5*5
    100*1
    112.5*6
    82.5*12

Monday:

Paused OHP: 45*8*3

Squat felt explosive when doing the first three sets, form felt pretty good too. Decided to do a set of five instead of six for bench as I remember that before deloading Wednesday's bench was suddenly easy despite being beat-up when I did a heavier top set, will see if that was a fluke. Barely made the full five reps today though so I think I've buggered this cycle up but I'll plow on and see.

Mysterious soreness again in the triceps after squatting then sore as **** after bench. I have no idea why.
    Lol what cardio do you do?
    I lift weights...faster..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by areebmazhar)
    Lol what cardio do you do?
    I lift weights...faster..
    I don't really do any cardio, the 12 rep back off sets pretty much serve as HIIT though!

Most I do is walk down and up bathwick hill which takes about an hour every now and then.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really do any cardio, the 12 rep back off sets pretty much serve as HIIT though!

Most I do is walk down and up bathwick hill which takes about an hour every now and then.
    Lol I'm too lazy as well, the walk to and back from they gym is enough for me. I really should do some more though..

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday:

Squat:

62.5*8
    95*5
    112.5*1
    132.5*1
    125*8 (PB)
    95*8

Bench:

52.5*8
    77.5*5
    92.5*1
    110*1
    102.5*5

Row:
    55*8
    82.5*5
    100*1
    115*1
    110*8 (PB)
    82.5*8

Squat: For the sets preceding the top set were some of the most explosive sets I've had in ages, pretty chuffed, although as usual 8RMs are a ball busting grind.

Bench...left pec felt funny when I did 110kg, decided to plow on. During the top set it felt worse and worse and basically started to bench asymmetrically so I decided to terminate at the 5th rep. Didn't fancy having my pec reattached today.

Barely got all 8 reps for the Pendlay rows so might start micro loading them.

As I mentioned previously I was thinking of using TM for bench. However it seems like it requires that the intermediate day between volume and intensity requires you to only do medium OHPing, although it alternates between bench twice a week and OHP twice a week, every week. I'm coming into my 6th week of 5/3/1 for OHP so I'm hesitant to change again, or to ignore the guidelines. With this in mind I think I'm going to transition into doing 5/3/1 for the bench as well, with some paused benching as assistance. Assistance being on sunday and the money sets on Wednesday. If the opportunity arises somehow I might see if I can make some quick gains on TM, however it's unlikely.

5/3/1 deload week for the OHP and deadlift is in a couple weeks time so for congruence I'll just do some medium benching next week then deload with everything else after.

ReputationRep:
    Friday:

Press:

50*3
    60*3
    67.5*4

Deadlift:

135*3
    155*3
    175*7

Pause squat:

67.5*5
    85*3*5

Although I didn't push myself on OHP today it's rather disconcerting that I don't really feel much stronger on it after 6 weeks of 5/3/1 :/.

ReputationRep:
    O **** son you done got a blog?
    Lurkin!

ReputationRep:
    lol :P

ReputationRep:
    Sunday:

Squat:

65*8
    95*5
    115*1
    130*6
    95*12

Pause Bench:
    65*8*3

Rows:
    55*8
    82.5*5
    100*1
    113.5*6
    82.5*12

Barbell Curls:
    45*3*6

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  57.1 KB

Monday:

Pause OHP:

47.5*8*3

Everything felt great today...apart from rows as my innovative microplate string broke so I had to retie it to the end meaning I basically did 113.5*1, 45s rest, 113.5*5 which really put me off.

Pause OHP and bench I do with less than a minutes rest between each set btw.

ReputationRep:
    Wednesday:

Squat:

65*8
    95*5
    115*1
    135*1
    127.5*5
    95*8

Bench:

87.5*5
    100*3
    107.5*3

Row:

55*8
    82.5*5
    100*1
    117.5*1
    111*8 (PB)
    82.5*8

ugh, was not feeling it today. Everything was a grind.

ReputationRep:
    Friday:

Press:

55*5
    62.5*3
    70*4

Deadlift:

145*5
    165*3
    185*4

Pause squat:

67.5*5
    85*3*5

Form was pretty **** on press and deadlift today.

ReputationRep:
    Do you live in Bath?
    I've only been there once but it's laaaaavely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    Do you live in Bath?
    I've only been there once but it's laaaaavely!
    Yup, I'm at Bath uni. The scenery is great! although generally not enough time to enjoy it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.