The Student Room Group

Shaking after drinking

I'm 18, and don't drink regularly. When I do, I don't go overboard - I've never thrown up or passed out from drinking, or not been able to remember what I've done.

However, after drinking I always get really shaky and feel really weird - kind of like if you were really nervous or anxious but I don't have anything to be nervous about. It normally makes it really hard for me to fall asleep, and this happens like as soon as I become sober again/start sobering up and I'm fine the next morning.

Is this normal? Does anyone know why this happens and how I can stop it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do you drink a lot of alcopops? Might be all the sugar.
Alcohol depletes your blood sugar levels. Have a glass of orange juice and you'll be fine. Happens to lots of people after drinking.
It's called a hangover, drink some fluids and eat something.
Reply 4
I get the shakes the morning after if I get smashed the night before and am still sobering up. If I have too many jagerbombs or mix Red Bull with vodka, I sometimes get the shakes before bed too. I'm guessing it's a bad mixture of the stimulant properties of energy drinks, particularly the caffeine, and the depressant properties of the alcohol.

It really isn't anything to worry about.
Reply 5
I suffer from the alcoshakes really bad, don't particularly get headaches of feel nauseous, just shake a lot. I take a little bit of valium and propranalol and it helps a lot.

It'll go away after 12 hours of recovery and hydration.
Reply 6
Thanks for the advice - would eating something sugary before or during drinking also help? I also tend to drink water in between alcohol drinks as well.

I don't think it's part of a hangover because it'll be like an hour after my last drink, not the morning after. It's just annoying because if I'm out but have stopped drinking I'll start to feel horrible, and it stops me sleeping.
I'm a similar age and I shake when I've had a drink. I think it's just the alcohol in my system. It seems to help if I have lots of water to drink too to get it out quicker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the advice - would eating something sugary before or during drinking also help? I also tend to drink water in between alcohol drinks as well.

I don't think it's part of a hangover because it'll be like an hour after my last drink, not the morning after. It's just annoying because if I'm out but have stopped drinking I'll start to feel horrible, and it stops me sleeping.

Eating carbs is best :smile: I'm diabetic so have to control my blood sugar and if I drink alcohol I have to eat carbs otherwise I get really shaky
If this happens will you end up being sick?
This is not a hangover, this is not the result of sugary drinks, it is not the result of eating/not eating. I have this exact problem, and no one knows what it is. I don't even have to drink enough to be drunk, I can be completely sober but when I go to bed or start to fall asleep, I will shiver and shudder. I often have to make myself throw up to get it out of my system and to let myself sleep. It DOES feel exactly like an anxiety attack, but like only in your body! Like mentally, I'm totally fine! It's my BODY reacting! I know exactly the feeling you are talking about, and I am considering seeking medical attention because it IS really annoying and makes it no fun to go out with friends. I don't want to drink because it makes me feel like ****, but no one gets that and I end up getting pressured all night. Please don't minimize your problem because it's real!!
Original post by ruthmcman
This is not a hangover, this is not the result of sugary drinks, it is not the result of eating/not eating. I have this exact problem, and no one knows what it is. I don't even have to drink enough to be drunk, I can be completely sober but when I go to bed or start to fall asleep, I will shiver and shudder. I often have to make myself throw up to get it out of my system and to let myself sleep. It DOES feel exactly like an anxiety attack, but like only in your body! Like mentally, I'm totally fine! It's my BODY reacting! I know exactly the feeling you are talking about, and I am considering seeking medical attention because it IS really annoying and makes it no fun to go out with friends. I don't want to drink because it makes me feel like ****, but no one gets that and I end up getting pressured all night. Please don't minimize your problem because it's real!!

I get this too! It happened last night after 2 glasses of wine with a meal. I don't drink that much anymore because of this, even the 'odd one' can make me feel ***t!
Has anyone figured this out?? I have the same issues and I’m tired of it.
yeah probably just a hangover, you'll get used to it
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18, and don't drink regularly. When I do, I don't go overboard - I've never thrown up or passed out from drinking, or not been able to remember what I've done.

However, after drinking I always get really shaky and feel really weird - kind of like if you were really nervous or anxious but I don't have anything to be nervous about. It normally makes it really hard for me to fall asleep, and this happens like as soon as I become sober again/start sobering up and I'm fine the next morning.

Is this normal? Does anyone know why this happens and how I can stop it?

Take Milk Thistle before you go out drinking
I have had the same issue for years.. I’m 33.. it’s your blood sugar.. if you drink alcohol and start alternating with water the alcohol kills and cancels out the sugar in your bloodstream.. ten minutes after your last drink chug a small glass of orange juice and it will help greatly.. it has become habit for me now.. otherwise I’ll get the shakes and cold sweats almost like I could faint... it’s just your sugar.. drink some Oj before it happens :smile:
I get the same i just normally eat something like cereal or chocolate.
Reply 17
You have just described exactly the same as I feel after a couple of drinks!! It's a horrible feeling. I find it to be worse when I have cocktails too.
I get this really bad as well and it really makes a night **** thinking you have to go home and feel like crap if you even drink a sip!
Reply 19
We used to call this the DTs (though of course it technically is not).

Latest