The Student Room Group

Taking Norethisterone

Hi,
So I'm going on a ski trip in February, and I'm going to have my period then, which will be quite awkward... so I've thought about going to the doctor and asking whether I can take Norethisterone to delay my period until after the trip. My friend took it when she went on holiday last year, and she was fine, but my Mum has seen on the Internet that the medication can have really bad side effects. Have any of you had experience with taking Norethisterone, and also, was it 100% effective? And if Norethisterone has given you trouble, are there any other ways of delaying a period? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and what do you say when you go to the doctors asking for this?? I've never been to the doctors for this sort of thing before, I've only ever gone when I was getting an injection or when I was ill.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
There are a few side-effects, see here http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Norethisterone.htm but most of the common ones are fairly minor. I've never taken it myself, but know quite a lot of people who have tolerated it well.

As for what to say, how about "I'm due on my period during my ski trip next month, please can I have some norethisterone to delay it?"
Reply 3
Original post by Helenia
There are a few side-effects, see here http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Norethisterone.htm but most of the common ones are fairly minor. I've never taken it myself, but know quite a lot of people who have tolerated it well.

As for what to say, how about "I'm due on my period during my ski trip next month, please can I have some norethisterone to delay it?"

Okay, thank you. They do seem fairly minor and I should be able to cope if I am affected... I've seen some people who haven't tolerated it well online but as I said, my friend was fine and the doctor would probably have the best advice anyway.

And yeah, that would probably be a sensible thing to say. Thanks very much!!
I've taken norethisterone, it worked perfectly fine and I had no side effects. You have to start taking them (one tablet 3x a day) about 3 days-ish before your period is due and then keep taking them, and when you stop after a couple of days you will have your period.

Just explain the situation to your doctor and they will prescribe it.
Reply 5
I've taken norehisterone twice (the last 2 times I went on holiday to delay my period) and not had any side effects. The most common ones are pretty minor anyway.

The only other way I can think of to delay a period is to not take a break between 2 packs of the pill but I think norehisterone is simpler if you're not on the pill :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by MidnightWolf
I've taken norethisterone, it worked perfectly fine and I had no side effects. You have to start taking them (one tablet 3x a day) about 3 days-ish before your period is due and then keep taking them, and when you stop after a couple of days you will have your period.

Just explain the situation to your doctor and they will prescribe it.

Original post by Lady Friday
I've taken norehisterone twice (the last 2 times I went on holiday to delay my period) and not had any side effects. The most common ones are pretty minor anyway.

The only other way I can think of to delay a period is to not take a break between 2 packs of the pill but I think norehisterone is simpler if you're not on the pill :smile:

Thanks, both of you!! :smile:

I may actually be going on the pill (another thing we've recently decided to ask the doctor about) so if I do, I will just take 2 packs without a break.
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
So I'm going on a ski trip in February, and I'm going to have my period then, which will be quite awkward... so I've thought about going to the doctor and asking whether I can take Norethisterone to delay my period until after the trip. My friend took it when she went on holiday last year, and she was fine, but my Mum has seen on the Internet that the medication can have really bad side effects. Have any of you had experience with taking Norethisterone, and also, was it 100% effective? And if Norethisterone has given you trouble, are there any other ways of delaying a period? Thanks in advance.

Oh, and what do you say when you go to the doctors asking for this?? I've never been to the doctors for this sort of thing before, I've only ever gone when I was getting an injection or when I was ill.

I've used Norethisterone on a few different occasions, and never had an problems or side effects :smile: it's definitely worth taking though, especially if you're going on holiday, and your Doctor will explain about when to take them and everything like that, so there's nothing to worry about! I'd probably ask for a female Doctor, but that's up to you, and just say to them 'i'm going on holiday and my period is due during this time, and i'd like to delay it!' :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by EllieDxxx
I've used Norethisterone on a few different occasions, and never had an problems or side effects :smile: it's definitely worth taking though, especially if you're going on holiday, and your Doctor will explain about when to take them and everything like that, so there's nothing to worry about! I'd probably ask for a female Doctor, but that's up to you, and just say to them 'i'm going on holiday and my period is due during this time, and i'd like to delay it!' :smile:

Yeah, my parents had the sense to ask for a female doctor :smile:
Reply 9
it depends. you may have no side effects or you may get cramps so painful you would scratch a wall and then have your cycle out of whack for some 2-3 months...
i experienced both. the latter one was hell. hopefully that wont happen to you :smile:
I first used norethisterone to delay my periods when I was 14. I still got cramping in my abdomen and at night in my legs but it stopped the bleeding and was only for a week. Everything returned to normal soon after.

Nowadays I take norethisterone everyday. I only take one pill (I'm on a cocktail of drugs because of my periods) but to use it to delay your period you need to take three a day.
I took it once for a holiday, a few days after taking it, I got pains in my chest and dizziness, so stopped straight away.

I don't want to scare you but you can get blood clots from it, of course this is rare but when I got chest pains, no way was I going to carry on with the tablets!
I was given norethisterone to stop bleeding after my period had been going for over a month I didn't have any side effects but as soon as I ran out of tablets I started bleeding again. So make sure they give you enough to last your whole holiday.
Reply 13
Also, does Norethisterone stop a period once it's started??
Reply 14
Hi was prescribed these for a week ! They'd stopped my bad periods ect ? Coil had to come out as I was still spotting ? Had to go to hospital again to see my gynae tonight. As soon as I stopped after a weeks course I came on soooo heavy again, so I've got to take these long turm I think ? It's ok I don't need contraception as hubby had the snip... Is it ok to take 2 a day every day ? Well I am for two weeks then going back again to c how things are ie periods n headaches xx
Reply 15
Does this me decide stop the period so if I take it when I am having my period will it stop and how long does it take to stop the bleeding
I was prescribed these by my GP last year for 2 holidays around Europe. Worked as stated and my period resumed to normal after I stopped taking the tablets however was much heavier and I had more cramps but that could just be down to luck. doctors are now not prescribing them anymore so I've had to buy them from lloyds pharmacy for £30 for 17 days worth.
Reply 17
Hi do you know why docs have stopped prescribing them? As I went docs today to ask about delaying my period for holiday at end of month and she said she shouldn't be doing it but gave me a prescription for this I did wonder why she said that :smile:
Original post by Nic23x
Hi do you know why docs have stopped prescribing them? As I went docs today to ask about delaying my period for holiday at end of month and she said she shouldn't be doing it but gave me a prescription for this I did wonder why she said that :smile:

Oh dear I’m glad I read this I made an apt to ask them about it on the 21st.
Hi all, i don't know how old this post is but I hope to still get a reply. I was taking norethisterine (no clue how to spell it) to delay my period for around 12-13 days. I stopped taking it about 3 and a half weeks ago. I've had the long period that followed and I come off. However I'm still getting very light period cramps and sharp twinges. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows anything about it?

Quick Reply

Latest