The Student Room Group

Physics, Chemistry, Biology. Which one is your favourite?

Scroll to see replies

Biology = memorising tonnes of useless facts.

Chemistry = memorising facts and applying them in most cases.

Physics = why am I learning things that don't even exist?
By that I mean most of particle physics is based on assumption. There could be a new theory tomorrow which could turn everything that I've learned so far on its head!
But I must say, the mechanics part of physics is fun!

So final verdict:

CHEMISTRY, any day :smile:
Reply 21
Massive fan of chemistry. I only got good grades in it due to my interest and passion for the subject.

I also made a thread similar to this a few months back, it got quite a few replies so you might wanna check it out:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2171749&p=40193047
Reply 22
Biology obviously isn't just memorisation, otherwise how did we discover anything we learn about know?
A lot of it is/was observation, and careful experiments- but I think the golden age for new discoveries in life sciences has past.

I personally find Biology the most interesting and easiest, but Chemistry and Physics blow my mind with their... incredibleness. Just wish I had a logical brain to deal with that information and mathematics.
Clearly Maths isn't on there because if it was it wouldn't be fair for the others, I mean who would even vote for them over Maths. I mean two of there are quite obviously maths spin offs and the others use it a lot.
Reply 24
Original post by Rainingshame
Clearly Maths isn't on there because if it was it wouldn't be fair for the others, I mean who would even vote for them over Maths. I mean two of there are quite obviously maths spin offs and the others use it a lot.

Maths is the ****

The only reason people don't take it after GCSE is because they are not badass enough :cool:

Long live:
Euler
Euclid
Newton
Riemman
Hawkings

And any other Math enthusiasts/heros
I like all of them! first when I was a teenager, I preferred biology compared to physics and chemistry, but in the following time I tend to physics. Chemistry is also very interesting, but I still prefer physics or biology. My interesting for them was increase when I read a book about the anatomy of human, that was the beginning of my passion in natural sciences. My favorite topic in biology is genetics, but in physics there are some topics which are interesting, but what I like most of all is electricity and magnetism. Synthetic materials like duroplasts, elastomers, thermoplastics and PUR were very interesting in chemistry for me, as I was/am very fascinating in structure. But all in all there is hardly a topic which is not interesting.
Original post by madfish
Biology = memorization

This is a fact

Firstly I study both Biology and Chemistry.

You expressed your opinion but went on to call all students in the biology classes stupid. Why?
You can't put yourself on a pedestal just because you chose Chemistry and Physics and not Biology.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Nav_Mallhi
Biology = memorising tonnes of useless facts.

Chemistry = memorising facts and applying them in most cases.

Physics = why am I learning things that don't even exist?
By that I mean most of particle physics is based on assumption. There could be a new theory tomorrow which could turn everything that I've learned so far on its head!
But I must say, the mechanics part of physics is fun!

So final verdict:

CHEMISTRY, any day :smile:

Not true, everything that you learn in particle physics at A-Level has been proven to exist with an unbelievably small uncertainity. I don't think you realise that while the particles themselves and the universe around it could me made of something else which cannot be confirmed, quarks, leptons and bosons have all but been confirmed to exist.
Reply 28
Original post by PKMN TRN JAM
Firstly I study both Biology and Chemistry.

You expressed your opinion but went on to call all students in the biology classes stupid. Why?
You can't put yourself on a pedestal just because you chose Chemistry and Physics and not Biology.

I picked all 3 and maths, actually.

it's not my fault my biology class consists of incompetent thickos
Original post by madfish
I picked all 3 and maths, actually.

it's not my fault my biology class consists of incompetent thickos

So why on earth would you call everyone in the class stupid, if you, yourself are in that same class?
Reply 30
So why on earth would you call everyone in the class stupid, if you, yourself are in that same class?

Everyone except me and about 5 others :wink:
Reply 31
Original post by madfish
So true

biology = no "skill" just mass information regurgitation

All the stupid people are in the biology class...none in the physics class or chemistry class :cool:

I do biology, chemistry and did physics as.

I have to agree with you. Biology is just like gsce. Memorise this. Memorise that. Chemistry and physics are lot more understanding and applying.
Reply 32
I appreciate your opinion, you prefer physics and chemistry, but your generalisation is unnecessary.

biology degree today statistically resulting in lower paying job than either chemistry or physics, by a lot. biology is least valuable in this century, only exiting part are genetic and a little physiology/bio.med.eng (i.e organ prosthesis/replacement) at the moment.

other than that biology being is dormant for now
Reply 33
Original post by Aillias
I do biology, chemistry and did physics as.

I have to agree with you. Biology is just like gsce. Memorise this. Memorise that. Chemistry and physics are lot more understanding and applying.

Exactly, you need the intelligence level of a baked bean to get a good grade in biology

In chemistry and physics you need to understand the under lying concepts and apply it
Reply 34
Original post by Mullah.S
biology degree today statistically resulting in lower paying job than either chemistry or physics, by a lot. biology is least valuable in this century, only exiting part are genetic and a little physiology/bio.med.eng (i.e organ prosthesis/replacement) at the moment.

It's because there is no problem solving/thought process involved

Memorize this that and the other and viola... Have an A ****ing star
Original post by HenryD
Physics by far.
Physics is applied Maths, Chemistry is a branch of physics, biology is applied chemistry. Just saying.

Yawn.
CHEMISTRY FOREVER!!! 2K13.... Peace out!
Original post by Mullah.S

Regardless that doesn't support the conclusion that those people who choose to study it are stupid
Original post by madfish
Clearly not.

Mathematics is the queen of sciences

You have complex mathematics to thank for helping deduce the electron configuration around an atom

You have mathematics to thank for NMR..Mass spectroscopy... Infrared spectroscopy

Collision theory

Pauli's exclusion principle

Aufbau principle

Avogadro's constant

Need I say anymore? Mathematics plays an integral part(pun intended) of Chemistry and any other science for that matter.

Calm down mate... I know that Maths is key to all other sciences and so on (I study maths myself). But if you read the thread title it says out of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Comp Sci, not Maths.

This is what I referred to. Look and learn:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_central_science
Reply 39
At A level Chemistry is the most useful useful and enjoyable, Biology the most interesting and Physics is just boring. In the 'real world'/at a higher level, Physics is imo the most interesting along with aspects of Biology and Chemistry is my least favourite.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending