The Student Room Group

Travel Grant/Long Course Loan

Hi
1. Just wondering what the difference is between these two
2. Also I will be entitled to a travel grant as it says somewhere on my finance application online but not sure how and when or how much i will receive.
Hi Bobo.

[h="2"]1. Long courses loan: Students will receive an 'extra weeks' portion of Maintenance Loan if their academic year exceeds 30 weeks and 3 days in length. Your application must be income assessed before a long course rate can be applied to it.[/h]
2.Travel grants:

A Travel Grant will be available if you're attending a Clinical Placement in the UK or studying abroad as part of your course and getting student finance that depends on their household income, for example Maintenance Loan or Maintenance Grant.

You must also be:

-attending an overseas institution for at least 50% of the academic term however if you're on a work placement abroad you won’t be eligible for a Travel Grant.

Or

-attending a hospital or other premises in the UK as an integral part of your medical or dental course. You won’t get Travel Grant if they’re eligible to apply for means-tested bursaries or awards from the Department of Health. This doesn’t cover any attendance involving residential study

The amount of Travel Grant you can get depends on your household income and covers reasonable travel
expenses during the academic year. The first £303 of travel costs are disregarded so you can get your travels costs less the first £303.
The method and class of travel, along with all other expenditure costs, must be reasonable. You must purchase the most cost effective tickets using the most economical and practical form of transport. For example, train instead of flying and standard-class instead of first-class tickets.

If eligible, you can claim for:

-up to three return journeys between the UK and the overseas institution during a full academic year abroad;
- any necessary travel costs associated with clinical training where attendance at a hospital or other premises is necessary;

-the cost of a child/children’s fare between the UK and the overseas institution if it’s necessary for a lone parent who’s also a student to take them abroad;

-Mandatory Medical Insurance, Visas and Medical Expenses for the purpose of studying abroad;
-If they have to travel by car, for academic year 2012/13 a rate of 27p per mile was used.

Hope this helps,
Mark-Lee :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi Bobo.

1. Long courses loan: Students will receive an 'extra weeks' portion of Maintenance Loan if their academic year exceeds 30 weeks and 3 days in length. Your application must be income assessed before a long course rate can be applied to it.

2.Travel grants:

A Travel Grant will be available if you're attending a Clinical Placement in the UK or studying abroad as part of your course and getting student finance that depends on their household income, for example Maintenance Loan or Maintenance Grant.

You must also be:

-attending an overseas institution for at least 50% of the academic term however if you're on a work placement abroad you won’t be eligible for a Travel Grant.

Or

-attending a hospital or other premises in the UK as an integral part of your medical or dental course. You won’t get Travel Grant if they’re eligible to apply for means-tested bursaries or awards from the Department of Health. This doesn’t cover any attendance involving residential study

The amount of Travel Grant you can get depends on your household income and covers reasonable travel
expenses during the academic year. The first £303 of travel costs are disregarded so you can get your travels costs less the first £303.
The method and class of travel, along with all other expenditure costs, must be reasonable. You must purchase the most cost effective tickets using the most economical and practical form of transport. For example, train instead of flying and standard-class instead of first-class tickets.

If eligible, you can claim for:

-up to three return journeys between the UK and the overseas institution during a full academic year abroad;
- any necessary travel costs associated with clinical training where attendance at a hospital or other premises is necessary;

-the cost of a child/children’s fare between the UK and the overseas institution if it’s necessary for a lone parent who’s also a student to take them abroad;

-Mandatory Medical Insurance, Visas and Medical Expenses for the purpose of studying abroad;
-If they have to travel by car, for academic year 2012/13 a rate of 27p per mile was used.

Hope this helps,
Mark-Lee :smile:

Thanks Mark for the update

Just one more question on Student Finance.
1. I have completed all my finance application and just waiting on opening a bank account. What is the last date this year i need to enter my bank details online so i get my finance on time before September 2013
Hi again Bobo,

You will need to add your bank details to your online account at least 5 working days before your first payment is due to receive it on time.

Thanks,
Mark

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending