The Student Room Group

Proof you can work in the UK, need help?

Okay I am in a bit of a pickle here. I have just been accepted for a part time job, and I have an induction tomorrow. They have asked for a national insurance number, bank account details and identification to prove you can legally work in the United Kingdom; either passport or NI card with birth certificate.

Anyhow I have dual citizenship of South Africa and the United Kingdom and have had it since birth. The thing is I have lost my passport, and haven't had it for a while. My parents think that if I hand in my birth certificate it will cause further confusion and suspicion as its South African. Personally I find this whole situation ridiculous, I have lived here for years and have had no problems when it came to university or anything. So what should I do? Just turn up with my national insurance card and explain the situation or also bring my birth certificate? Any help or advice would be kindly appreciated :smile: cheers
Reply 1
bump... ah probably panicking over nothing
Maybe you should contact the company today and ask them for advice.

Re your passport. (Although it won't come before tomorrow as "rush 1-day passports" do not include lost passports) why don't you order a new one to replace your lost one?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by cognito_08
Maybe you should contact the company today and ask them for advice.

Re your passport. (Although it won't come before tomorrow as "rush 1-day passports" do not include lost passports) why don't you order a new one to replace your lost one?

I think I will just email them and ask. I live around a 4 hour trip from the nearest passport office and wouldn't have the money to travel there or get a replacement :/ I was intending to replace it this month but I was short of the money to do so.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I might also add that this a job at the university I attend surely they will have the information that I'm a home student in their records anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending