The Student Room Group

People who stay with their first love forever

Hi,
Just a quick question, something i'm pondering...

Anyone out there still with their first love after a long time? Or can you see yourself staying with them for a looong time, or even for the rest of your lives?

Am I crazy for thinking about this myself? At 18 years of age. Nothing's set in stone but i keep imagining an amazing future with him :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm 17 and I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years in April an he's my first love :smile: I don't think it's crazy x
I'm 22 I have been with my first love for about 4 and half years. We'll plan to get engaged/married in a couple of years time. Many people think it's a bad thing not to have more experience, I view it more as good fortune that I just happen to have met the right one first time. I've had all the good experience, but just with one person, and without any of the bad experience!

Then again, life is what it is, and if you and your partner split up one day, it's not the end of the world. As long as you have a good time most of the time you're with him, what's to regret? Don't put too much pressure on yourself or the relationship.
Why do people have to be anon to discuss this??
Reply 4
Original post by RichyFrench

Good point :rolleyes:

I've been with my first love for four years, since I was 14. We've both changed a lot since then and I'm sure we're gonna change a whole lot more in the future as we mature and move away to uni and get jobs etc. So for that reason, although I obviously love him, I don't imagine we will stay together forever. I also don't know if I'd want too... I think it's a lovely idea and all that, and it's very sweet when people do manage to do it, but, meh...
Reply 5
I'm 17 and my girlfriend and I have been together for just over 2 years now. I hope to be with her for as long as I can, although I'll be going uni and she into the world of work. All I can say is that it's been fantastic thus far! Regardless of what happens, I've learned a lot about myself - I'll be glad.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 22 I have been with my first love for about 4 and half years. We'll plan to get engaged/married in a couple of years time. Many people think it's a bad thing not to have more experience, I view it more as good fortune that I just happen to have met the right one first time. I've had all the good experience, but just with one person, and without any of the bad experience!

^This
I've been with my first love for about two and a half year. Can't say I definitely want to marry him yet, but not planning on breaking up any time soon. :smile: I wouldn't feel like I'd missed out on anything really if I did marry him.
I was with my first love for 2 1/2 - 3 ish years. At the time I thought I was going to marry him, then I realised he was a total **** haha.

With an amazing guy now. Due to the failure of my first relationship I now conduct myself and my personal relationships totally differently and it's for the better.
Reply 9

18 years of age. Nothing's set in stone but i keep imagining an amazing future with him :smile:

Lmao, I give it a year and a half.
Hmm, not sure.

I'm 19 now and I've been with my boyfriend (first and so far only) boyfriend for over two years now. He's a bit older than me and is starting to think of doing things like settling down and he loves me and is thinking of a future for the two of us.

I don't know how I feel about it; part of me loves the idea of being with with my first love for the rest of my life and I really do love him; I don't think I could find someone who is better suited to me .

On the other hand, I worry that I might spend the rest of my life wondering if I missed out by only having one relationship (not sex; actually having a close relationship with other people). If I never have anything to compare him with, how do I know that he's as perfect as I think?

It's really up to me to decide how far the relationship goes, I just wish I knew what I wanted!
Original post by RichyFrench

Because if my boyfriend knew that I'm spending my time debating whether to marry him in the next few years or ditch him and get some life experience before I settle down, I would probably end up without any boyfriend at all!
Im 18 and have been with my boyfriend for 3 and a half years. He has changed my life and is the best thing that ever happened to me :tongue:

Not sure what the future holds for us but whatever it is i want him there by my side :smile:
I'm 24 I met my boyfriend when I was 18 and fell in love with him when I was 19. I love him very much and can see us being together for many more years...
Reply 14
True signs of commitment, respect and spiritual values. They deserve admiration.
I am coming up to 18, and been with my first love since we were 15. We have been through the good and the bad times together, and I think we will grow old together :smile:
I think it's such a special thing, to love one person for the whole of your life.
I don't know personally, but both of my mum's siblings married their first boyfriend/girlfriend that they met in sixth form, and are still happily together 20-30 years later. It's possible, for sure.
Because if my boyfriend knew that I'm spending my time debating whether to marry him in the next few years or ditch him and get some life experience before I settle down, I would probably end up without any boyfriend at all!

My advice is don't worry about it for now. Just enjoy yourself, if you are happy, stay with him if you are not then move on. If it leads to marriage it leads to marriage! Although I don't think my bf and I will get married until we're about 30. Can't afford it yet!
One of my best mates married his high school love and had a child with her around Christmas. :yep: They've been together 10 years or so (remember I'm 27 here!).
Anyone who thinks it will last forever is insane- sorrry

Knew I would get negged
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending