The Student Room Group

Volunteering with Vitalise!

I'm going to volunteer with Vitalise at their Jubilee Lodge for two weeks in July and although I'm really excited, I'm also really nervous! Just wondering if anyone has volunteered on one of their holidays before? What was it like? What did you do? Did you enjoy it? :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm glad I'm not the only one excited yet nervous at the same time. I'm volunteering from the 29th June - 6th July at the Jubilee Lodge in Essex as well, what week have you chosen? I really don't know what to expect because I have no experience whatsoever

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going from the 6th - 20th July! I have no idea what to expect and I'm really hoping that my nerves don't get in the way of me enjoying it! I'm also hoping that there's someone close to my age - worried i will be really young compared to everyone else! it should be amazing though! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi, I volunteered at the Southport one called sandpipers, last year. All of the volunteers were generally around my age so it was no trouble making friends. x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bethanyyy-
Hi, I volunteered at the Southport one called sandpipers, last year. All of the volunteers were generally around my age so it was no trouble making friends. x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for commenting! Did you enjoy it? What did you do? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hi no problem!
Ermm the days were really long like reallyyyyyy long.
You'd have to be down stairs for a meeting by 7:30-8:00 every morning and you wouldn't finish until 11pm.
You helped get the guests ready and help at mealtimes and just generally keep them company.
We went on about 4 trips and depending which week you go on these will differ.
It was so interesting and some of the guests had amazing stories to tell.
You meet some amazing people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bethanyyy-
Hi no problem!
Ermm the days were really long like reallyyyyyy long.
You'd have to be down stairs for a meeting by 7:30-8:00 every morning and you wouldn't finish until 11pm.
You helped get the guests ready and help at mealtimes and just generally keep them company.
We went on about 4 trips and depending which week you go on these will differ.
It was so interesting and some of the guests had amazing stories to tell.
You meet some amazing people :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I hope I do too! I'll be terrible with the long days though, I need so much sleep!:colondollar: I just really hope that my shyness doesn't get in the way of everything!
Reply 7
Personal care asisstant, right? Giving them a shower, dresseing them up, dressing them down, intimate personal care, etc.
I have done a total of four weeks volunteering with Vitalise, two at Churchtown (which they don't have anymore), one at Netley and one at Sandpipers. It is a great experience, but very tiring. It also takes a couple of days to settle in, each time I went I wanted to leave for the first couple of days, but once it got to Monday it did get better.
It is hard work, so make sure you take your breaks because you will need them. I also found that it was important for me to get away for five minutes, even just locking myself in the toilet, a few times during the week when things started to get on top of me a bit - spending so much time with the same people can sometimes get annoying, however nice everyone is.
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
I have done a total of four weeks volunteering with Vitalise, two at Churchtown (which they don't have anymore), one at Netley and one at Sandpipers. It is a great experience, but very tiring. It also takes a couple of days to settle in, each time I went I wanted to leave for the first couple of days, but once it got to Monday it did get better.
It is hard work, so make sure you take your breaks because you will need them. I also found that it was important for me to get away for five minutes, even just locking myself in the toilet, a few times during the week when things started to get on top of me a bit - spending so much time with the same people can sometimes get annoying, however nice everyone is.

Thanks for the advice! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by A future Midwife
I'm going from the 6th - 20th July! I have no idea what to expect and I'm really hoping that my nerves don't get in the way of me enjoying it! I'm also hoping that there's someone close to my age - worried i will be really young compared to everyone else! it should be amazing though! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once you get into the routine I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy it.

I've just been reading all the comments and the long hours could be very challenging for me (I'm sure I'll be able to cope though). I kind of wish I put two weeks down on my application, do you think I'll be able to change it and stay for 2 weeks instead of one? I finish sixth form really soon and then have a long summer ahead of me so I defiantly have the time.
Original post by yas95

I've just been reading all the comments and the long hours could be very challenging for me (I'm sure I'll be able to cope though). I kind of wish I put two weeks down on my application, do you think I'll be able to change it and stay for 2 weeks instead of one? I finish sixth form really soon and then have a long summer ahead of me so I defiantly have the time.

Yeah i think you'll be able to do that, you should email and ask! That's why I put down two weeks, I have a 12 week summer holiday seen as all the GCSE exams finish quite early this year! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Yeah i think you'll be able to do that, you should email and ask! That's why I put down two weeks, I have a 12 week summer holiday seen as all the GCSE exams finish quite early this year! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'll do that :smile: and my long summer off is the only thing keeping me going through my exams right now, i'll be relieved once their over.
Have you filled out and sent off your CRB check yet?
Original post by yas95
Yeah I'll do that :smile: and my long summer off is the only thing keeping me going through my exams right now, i'll be relieved once their over.
Have you filled out and sent off your CRB check yet?

Hahahah same! :smile: yeah I have, I did it all quite a while ago! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Hahahah same! :smile: yeah I have, I did it all quite a while ago! You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I sent mine off last week. Do you know what happens next and if we're given any kind of training before hand
Original post by yas95
Yeah I sent mine off last week. Do you know what happens next and if we're given any kind of training before hand

They'll email to confirm it and thats as much as I know! I think we're trained a little once we get there but not before! I'm not sure if ill be able to get there for 10 in the morning anyway as i live a long way away so I hope they don't mind! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
They'll email to confirm it and thats as much as I know! I think we're trained a little once we get there but not before! I'm not sure if ill be able to get there for 10 in the morning anyway as i live a long way away so I hope they don't mind! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So we're expected to be there by 10? :eek:
It takes me about 4 hours on the coach to get to London and I'll have to probably make my way from there but I might just get the train

Where are you travelling from?
Original post by yas95
So we're expected to be there by 10? :eek:
It takes me about 4 hours on the coach to get to London and I'll have to probably make my way from there but I might just get the train

Where are you travelling from?

Yeah I think it's ten!
North Yorkshire! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You will probably be sent a leaflet giving some basic information, although it may have changed since I went. On the first day you will have training, be shown around and told what is expected etc. The staff will be around to help you anyway, and you can buzz for attention when you are alone with a guest and need extra help. There are some things you are not allowed to do, such as use a hoist without a trained person there, but they will go through it all with you.

I was told to arrive at around 12pm but it does vary depending on travel times etc. When I did arrive at 12 once they weren't expecting me until later apparently, so there wasn't much for me to do until the other volunteers had arrived for that week. I know people who didn't arrive until the evening, or the Sunday, they give a guideline but they don't make you stick to it, they know people are coming from different places.
Original post by yas95

Have you managed to arrange staying for two weeks? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending