The Student Room Group

Help? how do i not fail this part 1 thing?

Hi fellow architects/architecture people..

Final month of final term, of final year, and dreading final submission...

Simply put, three years in architecture have confirmed that I am NOT GOOD at designing buildings. Constant bashing has also made me a true hater of the course, I just cannot do it.. (and I cannot take the bull **** of it much longer)

The frustrating thing is, I have to do well, I have invested too much time and money for it to fail, which is where I am heading towards - opined by various tutors and critics.. I absolutely MUST get a 2.1 in order to get out of architecture, I absolutely must. This is my only motivation in working, but it simply isn't enough.

I have lost all motivation in working, when no one believes in my project.. not even myself anymore...

I was wondering if any wise words could be given by any of you?

I'm at a very low point in my academic life...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey, I see what you're going through and you seem to really be at a low point, don't give up so soon and don't hate what you're studying, people can be really stuck up out there and they won't smile until you give them higher than expected, I guess it will always be that way, and because it always will, you just gotta keep yourself above. Think about it, you may not be the best, but you definitely can better yourself, give yourself some time and keep practising in the area your bad at.

Think about it, at least you're doing something you first loved, and now that you're into it and at the last of it, be thankful! Do the best you can, just like you did when you first got into the course (I'm guessing :bigsmile:) and improve yourself in the last submission, let yourself come out with your great results and then at that time, you will be looking back and thinking, well I'm glad I kept trying. I know this might not be the best inspirational talk, but come on, you've done everything in your past to get to where you are now, don't let this little thing stop you or scar your AMAZING previous work! Give them your best and let them remember you as the person that did so much to be the best!

Please do try!
Reply 2
Original post by rizlaswan

Simply put, three years in architecture have confirmed that I am NOT GOOD at designing buildings. Constant bashing has also made me a true hater of the course, I just cannot do it.. (and I cannot take the bull **** of it much longer)

The frustrating thing is, I have to do well, I have invested too much time and money for it to fail, which is where I am heading towards - opined by various tutors and critics.. I absolutely MUST get a 2.1 in order to get out of architecture, I absolutely must. This is my only motivation in working, but it simply isn't enough.

I have lost all motivation in working, when no one believes in my project.. not even myself anymore...

I know exactly how you feel. I'm not at the point where I want to get out of architecture altogether but I am very ready for this degree to finish. All I can say to you is what I say to myself every day, 30 more days and it will all be over. It is one of the most stressful / enjoyable things I have ever done and only people that have been through it can understand just how challenging this degree can be. Good luck, I think all current third / fifth years out there need it right now!
rizlaswan

Out of interest, could you give us an outline of your project / what you're doing in it? :smile:
How many hours are you guys putting in per day?
Reply 4
Original post by Architecture-er
Out of interest, could you give us an outline of your project / what you're doing in it? :smile:
How many hours are you guys putting in per day?

At the moment I'm trying to put in 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week. I've hardly had a day without architecture since the summer. Doing the work for me is not the worst part, it's the guilt you get from not working and thinking about your project 24/7 which stops you sleeping. I know this will only get worse over the next 4 weeks which is the most demoralising. Combined with the fact that it will be extremely hard to secure a job after makes the whole experience pretty rotten!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by squiddly
At the moment I'm trying to put in 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week. I've hardly had a day without architecture since the summer. Doing the work for me is not the worst part, it's the guilt you get from not working and thinking about your project 24/7 which stops you sleeping. I know this will only get worse over the next 4 weeks which is the most demoralising. Combined with the fact that it will be extremely hard to secure a job after makes the whole experience pretty rotten!

Could you give an outline of your current project brief, and how you've chosen to address it? Also which university are you studying at?
Reply 6
Well it's all over, and I ended up finishing with 68 so just missed a first! rizlaswan I hope you also managed to make it through successfully. The way I was feeling when this thread was started shows how this final year affects you, there were times when I honestly thought I was going to withdraw or that I would fail, and I end up walking away with a pretty decent degree. It has been incredibly emotional but also very rewarding, I wouldn't change my decision to embark on this journey but it's not for the weak. Now I look forward to placement before doing it all over again for part 2...
Reply 7
Well it's all over, and I ended up finishing with 68 so just missed a first! rizlaswan I hope you also managed to make it through successfully. The way I was feeling when this thread was started shows how this final year affects you, there were times when I honestly thought I was going to withdraw or that I would fail, and I end up walking away with a pretty decent degree. It has been incredibly emotional but also very rewarding, I wouldn't change my decision to embark on this journey but it's not for the weak. Now I look forward to placement before doing it all over again for part 2...

well done! i got a 2.2, really don't want to go back to architecture, ever..
Reply 8
Original post by rizlaswan
well done! i got a 2.2, really don't want to go back to architecture, ever..

Well done to you as well for making it through. I can understand your decision, good luck to you in whatever you turn your hand to in the future!
Reply 9
Well done to you as well for making it through. I can understand your decision, good luck to you in whatever you turn your hand to in the future!

thanks. but now that I got a 2.2, i'll be doing architecture, as the graduate jobs that I was looking to get are all requiring 2.1 minimum..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending