The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Undergraduate Entry 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I will be applying for a speech and language therapy course (intake 2014) however, most universities state that you need a B in English and Science at GCSE. I only achieved a C. How much do you think this will affect me from being accepted on the course?
Reply 21
Original post by nesca89
I will be applying for a speech and language therapy course (intake 2014) however, most universities state that you need a B in English and Science at GCSE. I only achieved a C. How much do you think this will affect me from being accepted on the course?

It's very dependent on the particular Uni. Some don't mind much about GCSEs and focus mostly on A levels (well, predicted a levels). However, some make sure you have those GCSE grades first and don't rely completely on a levels.

So it may narrow down your choice, but hopefully won't stop you :smile:
I didn't get the B in english but I did okay at sciences. I was told that if i write a good enough personal statement they may allow for the lack of B in english. I really like the look of Manchester. Has anyone been there?
Reply 23
Original post by e_mitchell7
I didn't get the B in english but I did okay at sciences. I was told that if i write a good enough personal statement they may allow for the lack of B in english. I really like the look of Manchester. Has anyone been there?

I think it will depend of the Uni.

Is that Manchester, or Manchester met? I want to look at them :tongue: hopefully will go to one of the open days :smile:
I'm applying for 2014 intake and recently stumbled across the idea of speech and language therapy which quite appeals to me - would I have time to gather necessary work experience before applying? I currently volunteer at my local brownies and have done so for two years, but I am doubtful that that is enough...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Butterfly9595
I'm applying for 2014 intake and recently stumbled across the idea of speech and language therapy which quite appeals to me - would I have time to gather necessary work experience before applying? I currently volunteer at my local brownies and have done so for two years, but I am doubtful that that is enough...

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is still time. Get in touch with your local hospital or care home etc. Even a week work experience would be good :smile:
Original post by saraw26
I think it will depend of the Uni.

Is that Manchester, or Manchester met? I want to look at them :tongue: hopefully will go to one of the open days :smile:

I was looking at Manchester, not manchester met. I would like to think they'd accept me XD
Reply 27
:smile:
Original post by teepot23
Hi everyone :biggrin:

I'm looking into applying to do an undergraduate Speech and Language Therapy degree, starting in 2014 and thought I'd start a thread so that anyone else thinking of doing the same can post things too!

Seeing as the course is so competitive, I also thought it'd be nice for us to actually have somewhere where we can help each other, give each other advice and moral support etc. I know it seems quite soon to start a thread for 2014 entry but I just wanted to get the ball rolling :smile:

So I'll start with me: I've looked at Sheffield, Reading & Manchester Uni so far and am hoping to look round Newcastle, Leeds Met & maybe Manchester Met in the autumn. So far I love Sheffield the most but it only has 22 places for 2014! :O Reading has 28 and Manchester has 42 and in all honesty I'm just a tad scared at how few places there are...

I also wanted to share some advice if you're looking to talk to or get experience with an SLT but can't. I've started volunteering at my local Stroke Association group and some of the members bring their SLT's with them and also the lady running the group is an SLT herself! So that's one way of getting the chance to at least talk to an actual SLT (:

So yes, that's all for now and please feel free to post!

Hey! Nice to know there is a thread lol! I'm looking at studying SLT too.

I'm starting an Access HE Diploma this year at a local college. Fingers crossed I meet the requirements though! Hopefully looking at Leeds Met, Manchester, BCU and DMU.:smile:
Reply 28
Hello! I'm doing the same - I've found that it's so difficult to find the chance to actually observe a speech and language therapist doing their job and interacting with an individual - that would be great experience but I guess for confidentiality reasons etc :frown:

I'm looking at Cardiff and De Monfront and still looking at others. Probably going for a maximum of B grade requirements - me and exams don't match unfortunately..
Glad there's a thread too, I'm kinda new to the student room xD
Reply 29
Hello! :biggrin: it's nice to hear from more people :smile:

Since I last wrote I've been incredibly lucky in that I managed to get a day shadowing SLT's at a hospital recently; I never ever thought I would be able to and when I told them how tough it was to get experience they were quite surprised!
Also the patient confidentiality didn't seem to be an issue ( I went to Weston General), I just had to sign a form and they'd check with each patient if it was okay for me to observe. I was really surprised about that actually... I hope that they don't use patient confidentiality as an excuse :frown:

I only managed to get experience because I happened to mention it to my auntie, who then knew a couple of SLT's as their children are friends with my cousins at school (bit complicated!). My dad also mentioned I wanted to be an SLT to a colleague at work and her daughter happened to be an SLT too, as well as a work colleague of a friend of my mum's! You wouldn't believe how many SLT's there actually are!
And all of them offered to see if I could shadow them or at least speak to them.

So another bit of advice is tell your family, friends, anyone about what you want to do and a lot of the time they'll say if they know someone who does SLT, or they'll mention it to someone else who does, so don't give up hope!

Also if you want to ask me any questions about my experience you're more than welcome to :smile: and also try special schools etc as they tend to have at least one SLT or there's videos online too.

Good luck, I really hope you get something somewhere, just keep trying :biggrin:
And ughhhhh I hate exams too :frown:
Reply 30
Fortunately, I work in a hospital as a healthcare assistant and have had work experience with the SLT department there. I'm looking at Leeds Met, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff and De Montfort. I know the uni's have open days which I plan to visit and hopefully find one I'm happy with lol.

Have any of you started your personal statement?
Reply 31
i'm applying for speech therapy 2014 entry too, is anyone looking at Reading uni? I really like the sound of it and I think I'll go to the open day :smile: what kind of experience (voluntary etc.) have people got? Has anyone been able to shadow a speech therapist?
Reply 32
Original post by Paulinka
i'm applying for speech therapy 2014 entry too, is anyone looking at Reading uni? I really like the sound of it and I think I'll go to the open day :smile: what kind of experience (voluntary etc.) have people got? Has anyone been able to shadow a speech therapist?

I'm not looking there, only because it's a long way from home, however, the course and uni look great - so go for it :smile:

I've shadowed an SLT for a day in a hospital (was very difficult to get - and uni's know that and take it into account) and for a day in the community. I've worked for a week in a hospital. I am volunteering at the stroke association and also the ear foundation (for deaf people).

Anything that is relevant to communication is great. Starting by getting experience in a primary school is great :smile:

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 33
Hey!

I'm hoping to study SLT too. Currently half way through my personal statement.
Anyone doing an Access Course?

Im attending open days soon, may see some of you around!

Take care!
Reply 34

I am looking at reading as its one that's fairly close to me, I have been shadowing a therapist in private sessions and hopefully getting into a hospital soon I'm with the stroke association and also reading partner to you children which open day are you going too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by Pinkpout
Hey!

I'm hoping to study SLT too. Currently half way through my personal statement.
Anyone doing an Access Course?

Im attending open days soon, may see some of you around!

Take care!

Hi
I am also doing an access course! Have you looked at unis you will be applying too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
How are people's personal statements coming along?

Just finished my first draft, it needs loads of redrafting etc!
Reply 37
Original post by saraw26
Hi all, just to let you know there is already a main thread for speech and language undergraduate 2014...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=43100874&highlight=speech%20and%20language%20therapy

Oh right! Had no idea, thank you! :biggrin:

I'm looking at Reading too! I went to the open day in the summer and it was really great, you can get such good hands on experience there because they have a clinic actually in the university. I haven't got any experience yet, starting to panic a bit!
Original post by Kayali
Hello! I'm doing the same - I've found that it's so difficult to find the chance to actually observe a speech and language therapist doing their job and interacting with an individual - that would be great experience but I guess for confidentiality reasons etc :frown:

I'm looking at Cardiff and De Monfront and still looking at others. Probably going for a maximum of B grade requirements - me and exams don't match unfortunately..
Glad there's a thread too, I'm kinda new to the student room xD

I'm looking at Cardiff too! Have you been to an open day yet? Also looking for the lower grade uni's, trying to be realistic!

Quick Reply

Latest