The Student Room Group

Help with childcare on access to higher education advice please

Hi i am new to all this, new to studying again!. Just joined this site. I am 34 and decided to follow the path i should have years ago in nursing. I did not get the maths at the level needed and due to my age i am now classed as a mature student eeek :eek:
I have two children and currently studying as i gave up my hours in 2011 when my father passed away with cancer. After going through ill health i am now ready to further my studying.
I was assessed and interviewed t chesterfield tapton campus and have been accepted to start in september of this year 2013. Rather deflated as i need childcare for around school and nursery for my children. I do not have the family support so would need funding, my college has informed me this was cut this year!. I have contacted student services and they can not help as i would need to be at level 4 for the funding.

I really hope something comes up as i will be gutted if a year of childcare and travel will stop me going on this access. I just dont have the cash to do it :s-smilie: i have a mortgage to pay and dont live with my childrens father so it will be a struggle. Is there any kind of help i can get please ???? thankyou in advance for any replies xxxxx
Reply 1
I've had the same problem, although I'm married with 3 children.
My college have also completely cut the funding for all assistance for the access course, so my travel, nursery fees and course fees will all have to be paid for somehow.

I've just received my timetable and hopefully I will only need 2 full days of childcare although this will see us around £400 per month worse off. It's going to be a really big struggle but I can't see any other way around it.

My college did advise me however that they can asses funding on an individual basis so it may still be worth you talking to their student finances regarding your circumstances. I feel for you and hope they can help you with something. I'm not entitled to any help at the moment but I hope this may improve once I'm in uni, we'll see.

I've applied for the 24+ loan as well which at least delays that payment for the time being.

Good luck with it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charlotte79tink
Hi i am new to all this, new to studying again!. Just joined this site. I am 34 and decided to follow the path i should have years ago in nursing. I did not get the maths at the level needed and due to my age i am now classed as a mature student eeek :eek:
I have two children and currently studying as i gave up my hours in 2011 when my father passed away with cancer. After going through ill health i am now ready to further my studying.
I was assessed and interviewed t chesterfield tapton campus and have been accepted to start in september of this year 2013. Rather deflated as i need childcare for around school and nursery for my children. I do not have the family support so would need funding, my college has informed me this was cut this year!. I have contacted student services and they can not help as i would need to be at level 4 for the funding.

I really hope something comes up as i will be gutted if a year of childcare and travel will stop me going on this access. I just dont have the cash to do it :s-smilie: i have a mortgage to pay and dont live with my childrens father so it will be a struggle. Is there any kind of help i can get please ???? thankyou in advance for any replies xxxxx
I had a quick look at the info from our college as I remembered it saying something about the 24+ loan having a hardship bursary (see the bold part below). It Says... 24+ Advanced Learning LoansWith effect from September 2013 tuition fee loans will be available to further education students who are aged 24 and over and who wish to study for a Level 3 or Level 4 course. The system will operate in a similar way to Higher Education student loans with repayments due after the course is completed and you are earning £21,000 or over.
Students who progress on to a higher education course and successfully complete it will have their FE loan cancelled.
An online application system for these loans will be available from April 2013.
For more information about this scheme - please visit the college's dedicated 24+ Advanced Learning Loan page.
24+ Advanced Learning Loans Bursary
There will also be a new (small) hardship fund to help with costs such as travel and books/equipment for students who have a household income of under £15, 276 p.a. and who take out one of the loans. Application forms for this scheme will be available from the Advice Shop from end of May 2013 onwards. Proof of eligibility for a 24+ Learning Loan and details of household income will be required to apply.

Can't be 100% certain it covers childcare, but its worth ringing someone and asking!!!
Thankyou for getting back to me ladies. I really hope something comes up. I have a enrolment letter for 10th july but no dates and times. I am just going to go along and try and sort it all then. I am that desperate to do it i have even considered a loan lol but it isnt realistic. I wish you both well in your studying xxx
Reply 4
Is there any foundation courses at universities/ partner colleges near you? I'm doing a foundation science with UCLan/Partner college Preston which can lead onto nursing (with a 70% pass) and it's only a 1 year course, I think an access is 2 years.

With a foundation course, you can apply for a student fee loan, maintenance loan, special support grant / maintenance grant, and childcare grant for 85% childcare fees. There's a calculator here for SFE http://www.studentfinance.direct.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=153,4680136&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
Reply 5
Thankyou for getting back to me ladies. I really hope something comes up. I have a enrolment letter for 10th july but no dates and times. I am just going to go along and try and sort it all then. I am that desperate to do it i have even considered a loan lol but it isnt realistic. I wish you both well in your studying xxx

Hi

Don't know how old the children are but here in Wales when they reach the age of either 2 or 3 there is child care funding available through the nurseries themselves. I think it's up to 10/15 hours per week free child care. Sorry I don't know the specific details bun it's worth ringing some local nurseries and asking them if it applies to your situation. My nursery owner knows the scheme really well. Hope this can help and good luck. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
thankyou for your information huni, sorry its taken so long to get back to you this is all new to me even this forum lol. :smile:
my daughter is 3 and she gets 15 hours funded as it is , my son is 5 so he is at school, the hours i need around the nursery hours and school would be 25 per week. I have resigned myself to the fact i will be paying them, lucky i recieved some money from my dad passing away last week and i know he would want me to further my career. I just hope i pass or it will be wasted. xxx
also i asked about the foundation course and was told this wouldnt gain me entry into uni xx but thanks all for your replies xx
Reply 8
thankyou for your information huni, sorry its taken so long to get back to you this is all new to me even this forum lol. :smile:
my daughter is 3 and she gets 15 hours funded as it is , my son is 5 so he is at school, the hours i need around the nursery hours and school would be 25 per week. I have resigned myself to the fact i will be paying them, lucky i recieved some money from my dad passing away last week and i know he would want me to further my career. I just hope i pass or it will be wasted. xxx

Sorry I couldn't help any further. Good luck on your course. Hope you manage to sort things out with childcare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending