The Student Room Group

Done Two Years, restarting.

I applied to a local University to redo my second year and continue on there with the course. But the problem is my first year results were not sufficient and I've been offered a first year place.

Given the unlikelihood I now have of redoing my second year I am now inclined to restart at the first year and well have a fresh new start. My problem of course is Student Finance, they've already funded two years and they will only finance four if I recall. Is it possible that I can get funding in the first two years and then self-fund my final year?
You're better off phoning them (your local authority section not student finance Wales/England) to check since they have the final say, but as far as I'm aware they'll fund the number of years your first course was plus one extra however I don't think they mind which years of the course(s) they fund.
For me I started on a Masters (4 years) then retook part B and got funding for that though didn't receive a grant that year (local authority had different rules/opinion to SFW), transferred to a Masters with placement and had funding for the placement year as well. So in total I had four years of tuition fees, maintenance loan & grant, one year of tuition fees for 90 credits plus maintenance loan and one year of part time tuition fees and maintenance loan
Reply 2
Original post by Will Lucky
I applied to a local University to redo my second year and continue on there with the course. But the problem is my first year results were not sufficient and I've been offered a first year place.

Given the unlikelihood I now have of redoing my second year I am now inclined to restart at the first year and well have a fresh new start. My problem of course is Student Finance, they've already funded two years and they will only finance four if I recall. Is it possible that I can get funding in the first two years and then self-fund my final year?

So if I understand it, you've done 2 years, and now have to start again from the first year of a 3 year course, giving you 5 years in total at uni, having already had 2 years of funding.

As far as I'm aware, in that situation SF will only fund the 2nd and 3rd years at your new uni (your 4th and 5th year). You will have to fund the 1st year yourself, although you might qualify for an additional SF Maintenance Loan.

I don't believe that's negotiable, although it would do no harm to ask. As it was explained to me when I had to do something similar, this means that the "marginal" students get to prove themselves before full funding kicks in again. Harsh, but I suppose you can see their point. With the student largely self-funding for the first year, they might be more inclined to settle down. It certainly focussed my attention!
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
So if I understand it, you've done 2 years, and now have to start again from the first year of a 3 year course, giving you 5 years in total at uni, having already had 2 years of funding.

As far as I'm aware, in that situation SF will only fund the 2nd and 3rd years at your new uni (your 4th and 5th year). You will have to fund the 1st year yourself, although you might qualify for an additional SF Maintenance Loan.

I don't believe that's negotiable, although it would do no harm to ask. As it was explained to me when I had to do something similar, this means that the "marginal" students get to prove themselves before full funding kicks in again. Harsh, but I suppose you can see their point. With the student largely self-funding for the first year, they might be more inclined to settle down. It certainly focussed my attention!

I see, that makes sense. In that case, I'd have to take a gap year. I'll call them tomorrow anyway and see what happens. But thanks for the help nevertheless.
Reply 4
Do you have any mitigating circumstances (such as illness) as to why you're having to restart?
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
Do you have any mitigating circumstances (such as illness) as to why you're having to restart?

No unfortunately I don't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending