The Student Room Group

Im 23 and never had a girlfriend before- how do I get one?

Im wondering if anyone could advise me.

Ive been single all my life. Im 23 now and girls just arent interested in me, im completely invisible to them. No girl has ever been attracted to me.

I feel very left out as most people my age have experience with the opposite sex.
Add to this that I dont have a clue about the dating game or how to get a girlfriend. Ive wasted so many years....

Can anyone advise me on how to get a girlfriend?

Part of me does feel that im maybe just too ugly to find a girlfriend, I mean i cant imagine any girl finding me attractive, and if one was going to find me attractive, it wouldve happened by now.

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have you ever tried approaching a girl?
Reply 2
Maybe self esteem issues you probably expect them to go to you. Am i right?
Reply 3
Get into the nearest club, party like you don't care and roar your primal alpha male roar.

There isn't really a set way to get a girlfriend, these kind of things just happen it's more about reading little signs in the opposite gender and being confident in giving it a go if you reckon you have a chance! The worst that can happen is you end up in the same place you are now, the best outcome, you get talking and are perhaps on the road to something more!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Rlove95
Have you ever tried approaching a girl?

never

but upon saying this, they never notice me anyway, its not like they look at me/smile at me or show any signs that they find me attractive

the girls in school never liked me either
Reply 5
Original post by Chung224
Maybe self esteem issues you probably expect them to go to you. Am i right?

i suppose so yes

like i said though, its like im invisible to them, they dont find me attractive
Reply 6
another things I should add is this

I dont feel that I have anything to offer a girl. Im not good looking also I dont have money or a good job, Ive no car and still live at home.

Not looking good is it?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by bloomblaze
i suppose so yes

like i said though, its like im invisible to them, they dont find me attractive

Well to be honest, don't talk to a girl with the intentions of getting a girlfriend, just be their friend, be friendly and you never know your friendship might blossom and they might love you for who you are. I'm not exactly a ladies man but that's just my thoughts lol
Reply 8
Just approach a girl. Say hi, get to know her a little bit. Um...try asking her out if you're interested. Try the classic 'I've got two tickets to...wanna come???'
Just socialize, if you're in uni join some societies, meet girls get to know them and date them really. There isn't a particular way everyone does it differently.
I'm sure you'll get one soon you just need to be patience. Maybe there have been girls attracted to you in the past but you haven't noticed. Just don't think that no one likes you or has never been attracted to you.
Just be friendly and just let things happen, if its meant to be its meant to be.
Good luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
never

but upon saying this, they never notice me anyway, its not like they look at me/smile at me or show any signs that they find me attractive

the girls in school never liked me either

I think with girls you just need to be confident. If you have the mentality that the girl isn't going to like you, she'll probably be able to sense it. You should try approach a girl that you find attractive or that you think you might have loads in common with. Strike up a conversation, act confident and even if you get rejected, just accept the rejection and move on.

I don't always look at guys when I'm interested in them, I sort of just wait for them to notice me and start talking to me because I'm pretty shy so maybe the girls are just shy?

I've never been a guy and I've never approached a guy so I wouldn't know the best way to go about it but speaking from the other side, being approached, the guys are usually confident, sure of themselves and just friendly. You'll be surprised how far just being friendly will get you. Don't get me wrong, there are girls that might be a bit stuck up and might be rude but there are genuinely nice girls out there that might give you a chance :smile:
Reply 10

I dont feel that I have anything to offer a girl. Im not good looking also I dont have money or a good job, Ive no car and still live at home.

Not looking good is it?

Well you don't want a kind of girl who wants you for your money etc. I think you look too much in your supposedly 'negative' side look for good things in your life and increase your self esteem
Reply 11

Not looking good is it?

Hmm, just because you might not be stereotypically good looking (going by your words) doesn't mean you might not be attractive?

A lot of girls will look pass looks if you have a great personality and if you make them laugh.
Reply 12
Original post by Rlove95
I think with girls you just need to be confident. If you have the mentality that the girl isn't going to like you, she'll probably be able to sense it. You should try approach a girl that you find attractive or that you think you might have loads in common with. Strike up a conversation, act confident and even if you get rejected, just accept the rejection and move on.

I don't always look at guys when I'm interested in them, I sort of just wait for them to notice me and start talking to me because I'm pretty shy so maybe the girls are just shy?

I've never been a guy and I've never approached a guy so I wouldn't know the best way to go about it but speaking from the other side, being approached, the guys are usually confident, sure of themselves and just friendly. You'll be surprised how far just being friendly will get you. Don't get me wrong, there are girls that might be a bit stuck up and might be rude but there are genuinely nice girls out there that might give you a chance :smile:

I find the whole idea of approaching a girl very scary, you could say that im actually scared of girls!

I mean, it would be different if some of them liked me, but because none fancy me, i just cant imagine them liking me, wanting to go out with me because im unnattractive

girls just dont give me the time of day, never have done, hence why im so scared

I imagine a girl would be rude/laugh/tell me to get lost or f-off if I asked her out....

I think the fact that no girl has ever found me attractive and the girls at school hated me has had an effect on me in adult life,

i mean they treat me like something they've scraped from the sole of their shoe
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
if you want attention:

Get a trendy hair cut (1)

Work Out (2)

Wear popular clothes (3)

If you want to know about the 'game' - Read Neil Strauss - The Game.

BUT a girlfriend, isn't so easy to come by.
Reply 14
Original post by manty
if you want attention:

Get a trendy hair cut (1)

Work Out (2)

Wear popular clothes (3)

If you want to know about the 'game' - Read Neil Strauss - The Game.

BUT a girlfriend, isn't so easy to come by.

im starting to lose my hair and im only 23

I have so many things which stand between me and getting a girlfriend

Also, because most guys are better looking than me, if I had a gf I'd always be insecure and scared of her cheating/running off on me
Reply 15
im starting to lose my hair and im only 23

I have so many things which stand between me and getting a girlfriend

Also, because most guys are better looking than me, if I had a gf I'd always be insecure and scared of her cheating/running off on me

Then have a shorter haircut.

Have you ever considered, how many 'ugly' people have girlfriends? Have you ever walked found someone you consider 'uglier' than you in a relationship with someone else?

In reality, personality equals longevity in relationships.

Perhaps if you the girls you targeted you consider are 'possible' for you to become more intimate with, are in closer to your own looks, you may have better luck?

Brad Pitt never went out with a 'ugly' girl, as superficial as that is, it resembles the harsh reality.
Reply 16
I find the whole idea of approaching a girl very scary, you could say that im actually scared of girls!

I mean, it would be different if some of them liked me, but because none fancy me, i just cant imagine them liking me, wanting to go out with me because im unnattractive

girls just dont give me the time of day, never have done, hence why im so scared

I imagine a girl would be rude/laugh/tell me to get lost or f-off if I asked her out....

I think the fact that no girl has ever found me attractive and the girls at school hated me has had an effect on me in adult life,

i mean they treat me like something they've scraped from the sole of their shoe

Some girls will be quite rude, but not all girls. Most mature girls, if they aren't interested will tell you politely.
Like I said before, It's all about the way you present yourself. I can sense when a guy isn't confident in himself before he even speaks. Once you accept yourself, learn how to be confident, girls will be able to read you and will be more attracted to you because of it.
With girls, you can say looks are pretty important because guys can be quite shallow (girls can be too, don't get me wrong but it's more of an issue if your bad looking to guys than it is to girls) I've met guys that look like buffalos but because they ignored the fact they looked like death itself, girls were just attracted to them. They'd be getting girls like it's nothing. If those same guys had just let the bad comments (which they did get) get to them I'm sure they wouldn't have got any girls.
Next time, you notice a friendly-looking girl somewhere, just go upto her and start talking. It's riskier to approach the girls that look stuck up so just find a girl that looks like she's friendly.
Reply 17
Original post by Rlove95
Some girls will be quite rude, but not all girls. Most mature girls, if they aren't interested will tell you politely.
Like I said before, It's all about the way you present yourself. I can sense when a guy isn't confident in himself before he even speaks. Once you accept yourself, learn how to be confident, girls will be able to read you and will be more attracted to you because of it.
With girls, you can say looks are pretty important because guys can be quite shallow (girls can be too, don't get me wrong but it's more of an issue if your bad looking to guys than it is to girls) I've met guys that look like buffalos but because they ignored the fact they looked like death itself, girls were just attracted to them. They'd be getting girls like it's nothing. If those same guys had just let the bad comments (which they did get) get to them I'm sure they wouldn't have got any girls.
Next time, you notice a friendly-looking girl somewhere, just go upto her and start talking. It's riskier to approach the girls that look stuck up so just find a girl that looks like she's friendly.

but confidence surely cant overcome the fact that im not good looking/ugly? I mean if they dont like me, they dont like me...

also, where do you do the approaching? I dont got o clubs and bars much?

also, what do you say to them?
Reply 18
another thing that gets me down...

Im not an advocate of dating sites, but I did join one one time and uploaded pics and made a profile...girls NEVER replied to my messages(and I messaged 100s), even when they were thougthful messages

I just couldnt get one reply

that really got me down and I lost confidence becasue of that, im obviously not good enough for anyone

also, like I say, I dont have much to offer ie money or job/status that women look for
Reply 19
Dude you need to work on yourself esteem before worrying about finding a girl. After all how can you love someone if you can't love yourself. I recommend joining a club or the gym something like that, just get out and about. If you start training you'll start looking well and feeling better in yourself plus you'll have more get up and go. Don't worry about money/cars etc real girls aren't interested in that, they'll look you coz you like you, if that makes sense?

I think girls just like someone who is outgoing, funny, takes care of himself and just generally has a positive outlook on things.

You can do it man, I have faith :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending