The Student Room Group

Edinburgh declined me after meeting conditional...

As the title says. Let me explain. A couple of months ago, Edinburgh Uni made an offer stating I need to achieve a minimum of B in Higher Mathematics, in order for my application to be successful. I accepted them as a firm option. Come results day, I exceeded my condition and achieved an A. Logging into track, I noticed that Edinburgh University had declined me stating "The University of Edinburgh has told us that you have not met the conditions for the Computer Science (G401) course. Your application has been unsuccessful."

Although I did meet the condition.... The other condition was suitable student fees, however I applied to SAAS as early as I could, and got my Letter of Award notice on 11th July, so I'm sure my student fees are sorted.

What are my options, I'm really confused.... Can Edinburgh University decline me even though my conditions have been met? I didn't even receive an email regarding anything, just a nasty surprise after logging onto Track...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ring them. RING THEM. If you've actually met the conditions then I'm confused as to why your application is unsuccessful. It could either be a mistake, in which case ring them to ask what has happened, or there is a part of your offer which you have not fully met, in which case ring them to find out what it is. In short, contact them asap.

I would also recommend you have a look through clearing and organise some numbers to call for other unis in case it isn't just an admin problem, if you are wanting to be at uni come september.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by emma2013
Ring them. RING THEM. If you've actually met the conditions then I'm confused as to why your application is unsuccessful. It could either be a mistake, in which case ring them to ask what has happened, or there is a part of your offer which you have not fully met, in which case ring them to find out what it is. In short, contact them asap.

I would also recommend you have a look through clearing and organise some numbers to call for other unis in case it isn't just an admin problem, if you are wanting to be at uni come september.

I'll contact them tomorrow, offices closed atm. I've got my insurance choice at Heriot Watt which I'll go to if worst comes to worst, however that somehow became my firm choice. If Edinburgh do accept me, what would I do about Heriot Watt who now thinks I'm going to them as they've become my firm automatically on UCAS track?
Original post by Tazman
I'll contact them tomorrow, offices closed atm. I've got my insurance choice at Heriot Watt which I'll go to if worst comes to worst, however that somehow became my firm choice. If Edinburgh do accept me, what would I do about Heriot Watt who now thinks I'm going to them as they've become my firm automatically on UCAS track?

Email them both to be safe...and ring them both as soon as you can. It should all be cleared up I think.
Reply 4
Original post by Tazman

At this point you'll need to communicate the unis directly as UCAS is merely an administratory body at the moment. I don't know what'll happen about your insurance, but in any case you will need to investigate the Edinburgh situation first.

PQ might know better :smile:

Original post by abhiksetia
Email them both to be safe...and ring them both as soon as you can. It should all be cleared up I think.

At this point you need to ring- whatever your situation it needs to be sorted asap and emails are all too easily missed :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by abhiksetia

I'll have to ring Edinburgh Uni first then to make sure I get my place, and then ask to be released from HW after its sorted from Edinburgh?
Reply 6
As Emma2013 said above, ring Edinburgh as soon as possible. It sounds like a genuine mistake on their part and these things can happen by accident so hopefully phoning them should be able to set everything straight. Make sure you've got all your details/codes (etc.) at the ready so there's less hassle.
Reply 7
Alright thanks for the help guys much appreciated :smile: Whats the best way to get released from Heriot Watt if Edinburgh reverses their decision and accepts me after admin error? Do I phone UCAS or are they out of the equation for this situation?
Original post by Tazman
Alright thanks for the help guys much appreciated :smile: Whats the best way to get released from Heriot Watt if Edinburgh reverses their decision and accepts me after admin error? Do I phone UCAS or are they out of the equation for this situation?

UCAS have to unwind this in conjunction with Edinburgh. If it is a mistake HW should simply be informed. Their consent will not be needed.
Reply 9
Original post by nulli tertius
UCAS have to unwind this in conjunction with Edinburgh. If it is a mistake HW should simply be informed. Their consent will not be needed.

I don't want released until it's sorted with Edinburgh however...just incase my application is unsuccessful for a legitimate reason, none of which I can think of however.... So should I just inform HW after I've sorted it out with Edinburgh?
DO NOT contact heriot watt before you know exactly what edinburgh stance is on your application. If edinburgh accept you then just phone heriot watt to say you will not be attending the university. If edinburgh decline your application then at least you will have heriot watt as a back up. Also make sure SAAS knows exactly what university you are going to as sometimes with the confusion they may send the payment to the wrong university...
Don't worry about HW.

Ring ed tomorrow at 8am (and take names/job titles).

If ed aren't helpful then contact UCAS - if Ucas can see you've met your offer conditions they can override ediburghs rejection.
Reply 12
Original post by PQ
Don't worry about HW.

If ed aren't helpful then contact UCAS - if Ucas can see you've met your offer conditions they can override ediburghs rejection.

Is it possible to be declined from a university despite fully meeting the conditional offer? (other than errors, but done on purpose)

I ask because I am wondering what happens if more conditional offer holders (who firm/insure a particular university) meet their conditional offer than expected. (i.e. above the number of places available) What happens then?
Original post by thers
Is it possible to be declined from a university despite fully meeting the conditional offer? (other than errors, but done on purpose)

I ask because I am wondering what happens if more conditional offer holders (who firm/insure a particular university) meet their conditional offer than expected. (i.e. above the number of places available) What happens then?

You can only be rejected from a conditional offer if you:

A) don't meet the offer conditions or
B) don't disclose something you should have/ lie on your application

If a uni had more people meeting their offer than expected they have to take them. Some unis manage that by asking people to defer (in exchange for discount on fee/halls), others just rearange the timetable and cope.
Reply 14
Original post by PQ
You can only be rejected from a conditional offer if you:

A) don't meet the offer conditions or
B) don't disclose something you should have/ lie on your application

If a uni had more people meeting their offer than expected they have to take them. Some unis manage that by asking people to defer (in exchange for discount on fee/halls), others just rearange the timetable and cope.

Thank you for the response. You've put my mind at rest now until results day as I'm fairly confident of meeting my conditional.
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
Don't worry about HW.

Okay thank you. So should I just ignore HW completely after contacting Edinburgh?
Out of interest, what exactly did the condition say about student fees? Is it possible there could have been a mistake about your fee status or something?
Phone them. The same thing happened to me with Glasgow Uni, but it was an admin error...
Original post by Tazman
Okay thank you. So should I just ignore HW completely after contacting Edinburgh?

Yes. UCAS will tell them.
Reply 19
Original post by Ecosse_14
Out of interest, what exactly did the condition say about student fees? Is it possible there could have been a mistake about your fee status or something?

It was fairly vague, but here's everything included in the condition:

Spoiler

I just read over my Letter of Award notice from SAAS and as far as I'm concerned it's been paid - I applied for only Bursary and obviously Student fees, however didn't send along any household income documents as they weren't asked for during the application. I entered my parents earnings as asked for on the application however. Could this be the problem? Do SAAS always need household income documents, although they didn't ask me to send any?

Edit: The letter states:

"We have provisonally assessed your award. This is because we have not received all of the necessary income documents we need to make your award final. We will write to you later in this session to request the appropriate documents we need. Please note we will only pay the first 8 instalments of grants/bursary due. We will withhold all further payments until we receive these documents."

However I haven't recieved a letter requesting the needed documents...

I really need help on this now as I'm confused..
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending