The Student Room Group

Can UCAS confirm your place by mistake?

I missed my offer by 80 UCAS points and track has updated to say my place at Uni of Salford has been confirmed.

Could this be a mistake or am I definitely in?

Scroll to see replies

It is possible that it's a mistake. It's not likely, but mistakes do happen.

I realise the temptation is to not mess with it, but if it is an error, you could find they change it later and you're in a worse position. If concerned, phone them up just to make sure.
Original post by jibberjay
I missed my offer by 80 UCAS points and track has updated to say my place at Uni of Salford has been confirmed.

Congratulations! :h: Even if you miss an offer, the university can decide to accept you anyway - it looks like that's what they've done.
Reply 3
Original post by TheSownRose

I realise the temptation is to not mess with it, but if it is an error, you could find they change it later and you're in a worse position. If concerned, phone them up just to make sure.

I've just received an email from the uni confirming my offer but I think I'll give them a call just in case! I'm so paranoid its a mistake!

Original post by Becca-Sarah
Congratulations! :h: Even if you miss an offer, the university can decide to accept you anyway - it looks like that's what they've done.

Thankss! :biggrin:
Reply 4
I've just received an email from the uni confirming my offer but I think I'll give them a call just in case! I'm so paranoid its a mistake!

You may have trouble getting through at the moment as lines will be busy.

I expect everything is fine though. Congratulations :biggrin:.
Reply 5
Pretty sure you're in, but always good to ring just in case :smile: I'll say congratulations for now! ;-)
If you got an email from the uni then it means you got in! CONGRATULATIONS and WELL DONE :biggrin:
Original post by TheSownRose

Wrong. A glitch on UCAS cannot be undone, if you get accepted on Track then that is a legally binding contract and you are in.
Reply 8

Don't call them - they've confirmed everything so there's no need. You'll be taking time away from people who need to answer the phone for applicants in Clearing. They've confirmed it on Track and emailed you - that's as confirmed as it can be!
Reply 9

UCAS has confirmed. The University has confirmed. They have had the results since last weekend and have decided that though you missed the points a little they really want you!

Well done and start getting ready for university!!!

:smile:
Even if it was a mistake (which I doubt it is), then I'm pretty sure they're not actually allowed to withdraw it once it's been put on.
Reply 11
Yes, well done. As a member of university staff myself, universities can make offers based on lower grades from your original application. They might have been very impressed with your personal statement or you impressed with your extra-curricular activities such as hobbies, voluntary/work experience, etc..

Well done. Enjoy your day :redface:)
Reply 12
I have the same fear I got WAY LOWER than the entry requirements needed! I needed ABB but got BCC and still got into my first choice! I'm so scared!!
Reply 13
Original post by LeicesterStudent
Wrong. A glitch on UCAS cannot be undone, if you get accepted on Track then that is a legally binding contract and you are in.

Track just tracks the progress of applications and shows any offers. You only enter into a legally binding contract when you accept an offer.
Reply 14
Thanks everyone! Was terrified so I gave them a call and they've confirmed its not a mistake ^_^
Original post by Klix88
Track just tracks the progress of applications and shows any offers. You only enter into a legally binding contract when you accept an offer.

Ah, yeah, quite right. What I meant is if a university extends an offer on Track, then they cannot then withdraw it, even if it was a glitch.
Reply 16
Thanks everyone! Was terrified so I gave them a call and they've confirmed its not a mistake ^_^

Well done
Reply 17
Original post by LeicesterStudent
Actually it isn't a legal contract, and mistakes can be corrected. This case is not a mistake, however.
Reply 18
I am interested to know about the evidence for an on-track offer being legally binding - what is the evidence for this please? Any detail would be very much appreciated.
Reply 19
Original post by Elle D
I am interested to know about the evidence for an on-track offer being legally binding - what is the evidence for this please? Any detail would be very much appreciated.
As stated in my post above, an offer on Track is not legally binding, so there is no evidence to cite to the contrary.

Although UCAS expects unis to honour any offers that are made, in practice they don't have any means of forcing them to do so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending