The Student Room Group

Student loan requirements and process?

Hi,

I want to go to study in the UK in 2015.
As I like to plan ahead, I was looking into student loans, more specifically tuition fee loans.

I am a citizen of Slovakia (and therefore EU) and I'm looking into studying full time.

I have a couple of questions:

Are there multiple providers of student loans?
What are the requirements for receiving a tuition fee loan?
Could my application get rejected? If yes, why?
When do I need to apply?

Thanks a lot,
Seb
Reply 1
Original post by Seb.
Hi,

I want to go to study in the UK in 2015.
As I like to plan ahead, I was looking into student loans, more specifically tuition fee loans.

I am a citizen of Slovakia (and therefore EU) and I'm looking into studying full time.

I have a couple of questions:

Are there multiple providers of student loans?
What are the requirements for receiving a tuition fee loan?
Could my application get rejected? If yes, why?
When do I need to apply?

Thanks a lot,
Seb

1) No, all loans are administered by the Student Loans Company however it has regional 'branches' in each country (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales) as an EU student you'd apply to the one in which the university your going to is located. As an EU student if you went to Scotland the Scottish branch (SAAS) would pay your tuition fees for you where as the others would offer you a loan which you'd have to repay.

3)- You'll get rejected if you don't meet the requirements which leads onto
2) The requirements are that you must be ordinarily resident in the EU for the last 3 years unless you can prove temporary absence and it must be your first degree and to get the loan for your first year you can't have studied for more than one year at university before
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
1) No, all loans are administered by the Student Loans Company however it has regional 'branches' in each country (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales) as an EU student you'd apply to the one in which the university your going to is located. As an EU student if you went to Scotland the Scottish branch (SAAS) would pay your tuition fees for you where as the others would offer you a loan which you'd have to repay.

3)- You'll get rejected if you don't meet the requirements which leads onto
2) The requirements are that you must be ordinarily resident in the EU for the last 3 years unless you can prove temporary absence and it must be your first degree and to get the loan for your first year you can't have studied for more than one year at university before

Cheers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending