The Student Room Group

Do camp men annoy you?

I find them as irritating as anything.

They pretend to be their idea of what a woman is, but women don't even act like how they act. It's more like a caricature act at a theatre pantomine, their idea of a woman that doesn't even exist. Most women are naturally just themselves without trying, but camp men look so pretendy that you can't help but think they are putting it on for show.

If no-one was around, and they were the last person on the planet, would they still act like that? All that pretence.

I've seen two sides of camp men, the pretendy female side and the real self where they don't act in anyway female. Then you know it's all BS.

Do you find camp men annoying?

Scroll to see replies

Not really no. Unless it's put on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yes

a lot
Reply 4
Original post by shadowdweller
Not really no. Unless it's put on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's always put-on, it's always pretend as they still have testosterone.
Original post by Jam198
It's always put-on, it's always pretend as they still have testosterone.

It's not always put on. Hence why I specified.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I think they do a bit sometimes and here's why.

Often overly camp men are absolutely infuriating to the vast majority of the public, eg Graham Norton, and Alan Carr, generally if you like these people you are a vacuous moron.

Some of my closest friends are gay men, who have respectable professions etc, and often they say that the kind of thing that makes people dislike gay people is these larger than life caricatures you see on the TV.

Another reason that they sometimes annoy me a bit is because acting camp is often just like wearing a cross to say you are a Christian, but instead you have to speak a certain way etc, it can just be a bit over the top, acting a certain way to let people know that you prefer men to women.
Reply 7
Yes, camp men annoy me a lot.
I also know many gay men whom are annoyed by camp men... a lot.
It's just frustrating having to watch it - even the majority of women act manlier.

I can't stand watching Graham Norton or Alan Carr.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Depends on the type of camp.

If I know the person and know they aren't being malicious when they're up in your face then I don't mind, in fact I find it funny like Rodger out of American Dad:

On the other hand, the bitchy, narcissistic kind of camp which is exclusively focused on appearances I don't like in the slightest and pissed me off a lot.
Reply 9
Yes, annoying much very!!

Teeth-grindingly annoying. I agree, it's all pretend.
Ooh! Back in the knife-drawer, Miss Sharp.
Yes.
People like Alan Carr and Gok Wan piss me off but there's a pretty camp guy at work and I don't have a problem with him so I guess my answer is: Sometimes.
Reply 13
Does anybody know why there are so many of them on the TV?
Original post by Willum Infanta
People like Alan Carr and Gok Wan piss me off but there's a pretty camp guy at work and I don't have a problem with him

the pretty ones can get away with it, yes.
Reply 15
Original post by Huskaris

Often overly camp men are absolutely infuriating to the vast majority of the public, eg Graham Norton, and Alan Carr, generally if you like these people you are a vacuous moron.

ok bro
Reply 16
They are really bitchy and snarky, many times worse than what a diva could level at you. For this reason, they are the weakest link, good bye campsters.
Reply 17
Yes, very annoying.
Reply 18
Original post by Jam198
I find them as irritating as anything.

They pretend to be their idea of what a woman is, but women don't even act like how they act. It's more like a caricature act at a theatre pantomine, their idea of a woman that doesn't even exist. Most women are naturally just themselves without trying, but camp men look so pretendy that you can't help but think they are putting it on for show.

If no-one was around, and they were the last person on the planet, would they still act like that? All that pretence.

I've seen two sides of camp men, the pretendy female side and the real self where they don't act in anyway female. Then you know it's all BS.

Do you find camp men annoying?

You should make a poll on the thread.
I don't know, I find in some people it can be quite endearing rather than annoying. it all depends on the personality of the individual. If the individual is just a naturally feminine man and he isn't snide and bitchy (like some "camp" personalities in the media) then it can be a positive attritbute of character.

I find Alan Carr a bit annoying and after his stint in CBB I'm not too fond of Louis Spence either, however some people I've met in real life who are "camp" are some of the nicest men you could hope to meet and I wouldn't say i found them, or their behaviour, annoying in the slightest.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending