The Student Room Group

My skin is really getting me down

Hello

So basically you know when you're growing up they tell you not to pick at or squeeze your spots? Well as a young teenager (I'm 15 now) I suffered from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, as a result of which I have no eyebrows and lots of spot scars, particularly on my forehead, chin, but most of all, under my nose. The eyebrow thing I am getting lots of help for and I'm getting better all the time, but I can't seem to stop thinking about the spots. Over the last couple of months or so I have spent the majority of each day thinking and worrying about them. I feel like I can't be seen without make-up on which is bad for my skin and extremely restrictive. I lost all my confidence when I was diagnosed but over the past 3 years I have built it back up again. However, because of my skin I am beginning to lose it again, and I really don't want this to happen because it is my GCSE year and I don't want things to fall apart again. I keep telling myself if only I didn't have these scars I could be happy, which only upsets me more. It is affecting not only my confidence, but my mood and concentration levels. I haven't really spoken to anyone about it, but my best friend recommended a facial scrub which I might get. The only other option I can think of is laser surgery, which is very expensive and doesn't always go to plan. Plus, the thought of cosmetic surgery makes me anxious.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do to get rid of them, or am I going to be stuck with them forever? If I am, I literally don't know how I am going to be as happy as I was again.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello

So basically you know when you're growing up they tell you not to pick at or squeeze your spots? Well as a young teenager (I'm 15 now) I suffered from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, as a result of which I have no eyebrows and lots of spot scars, particularly on my forehead, chin, but most of all, under my nose. The eyebrow thing I am getting lots of help for and I'm getting better all the time, but I can't seem to stop thinking about the spots. Over the last couple of months or so I have spent the majority of each day thinking and worrying about them. I feel like I can't be seen without make-up on which is bad for my skin and extremely restrictive. I lost all my confidence when I was diagnosed but over the past 3 years I have built it back up again. However, because of my skin I am beginning to lose it again, and I really don't want this to happen because it is my GCSE year and I don't want things to fall apart again. I keep telling myself if only I didn't have these scars I could be happy, which only upsets me more. It is affecting not only my confidence, but my mood and concentration levels. I haven't really spoken to anyone about it, but my best friend recommended a facial scrub which I might get. The only other option I can think of is laser surgery, which is very expensive and doesn't always go to plan. Plus, the thought of cosmetic surgery makes me anxious.

Is there ANYTHING else I can do to get rid of them, or am I going to be stuck with them forever? If I am, I literally don't know how I am going to be as happy as I was again.

Hai :smile:
I've had quite a few problems with spots and spot scars aswell, and i know it can really bring your confidence down. Definitely use a facial scrub, and maybe a face mask every month? and what else worked for me was tea tree oil, you only need to use one or two drops for your whole face and its not too expensive, you can also get this tea tree oil stuff in Lush, and that's really nice aswell, and it worked really well for me. Spot scars do fade so they won't be there forever. Don't go for cosmetic surgery, you're too young and its so expensive >.<
Reply 2
I sympathise OP, I really do. My skin is awful right now and my confidence is so low. I'm currently waiting to go on Roaccutane after 10 years of this. I also have a lot of scarring, but I don't know how that will be dealt with.

Please see your GP.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
See your GP, I got given a combined pill which improved my skin :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Really sorry to hear you're down. But nevertheless, it's time to take action! I had these tiny scars from pimples that looked like freckles. I got them cuz I got compulsive and started pinching the pimples...I know gross...hehe. But anyway then I got scars and I didn't fuss so much about them cuz scars go with time! So that's one reason u shouldn't be down cuz even the darkest reddest scar will fade away with time. Yeah, so the next thing is treatment. And I mean NATURAL treatment. Use kitchen ingredients to clear out ur skin! Trust me, I did this and it worked! Use honey as a facemask combined with tomato pulp. Rub deep into your face after taking a steam and let it settle for twenty minutes. Wash away with warm water. Honey has anti-septic properties that can prevent further pimples, smooth out rough scarred skin. Tomatoes lighten scars and blemishes. Use this tip from now on, I'm sure this will work!! Also, you can use yogurt on your face as a face mask. It might be icky to you but come on, if you wanna see results, you gatta do anything! :smile: Sorry for this HUGE chunk but for some reason the ENTER button isn't working here at all. :confused:
Seeing your GP is probably the best course of action to take right now :smile:
I sympathise, my skin isn't as bad as some peoples but it does totally bring you down. My scars have been getting a bit lighter lately though *touch wood*, I went to the GP and got put on antibiotics which worked for me (I've only got mild acne but I'm still super self-conscious about it) and I've just been using a couple of face masks and sudocrem is helping a bit. My granny gave me this 8 hour protect stuff from Elizabeth Arden, makes your face shiny as heck but I've had a lot less spots and stuff since then. My housemate told me she thinks GP's can give you something for scars so you could try speaking to them to see what's best. :smile:
Reply 7
Thankyou everyone! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Sorry to reopen this but are you sure the scars will fade? Because yes obviously I don't want spots but it's the scars that are freaking me out! Because I swear scars don't fade... I dunno :3

Quick Reply

Latest