The Student Room Group

mistake in my personal statement (already sent of)

So i was on the track page, re-reading my personal statement and i discovered that I forgot the word "of" in one of my sentences.

I don't know how i didn't notice it (re-read my ps like 20 times..). Now am panicking that my unis will reject me on the basis that i was careless with my personal stament.... :s-smilie:
Original post by lilyobz
So i was on the track page, re-reading my personal statement and i discovered that I forgot the word "of" in one of my sentences.

I don't know how i didn't notice it (re-read my ps like 20 times..). Now am panicking that my unis will reject me on the basis that i was careless with my personal stament.... :s-smilie:

They definitely won't reject you for that, don't worry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lucy96
They definitely won't reject you for that, don't worry :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

but they'll think am sloppy and lazy and didnt bother to properly check my personal statement! and then subsequently take that into account whhen comparing me to another student :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by lilyobz
but they'll think am sloppy and lazy and didnt bother to properly check my personal statement! and then subsequently take that into account whhen comparing me to another student :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

They won't! We're only human, we all make silly mistakes! They wouldn't turn down a perfectly good student just because they forgot a word, honestly :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by lilyobz

Depends on the uni, and I know that your mind reads what you're meant to be reading rather than what's actually there, especially when you've been reading it so many times previously.
Just be careful when filling out anything else, as if you make a similar mistake (such as the incorrect use of 'of' in the title of this thread, or the numerous grammer and spelling errors already on this thread by you) then the uni will probably think twice before they make you an offer.

Edit, I'm aware I've spelt grammar wrong - I did spot it, but I thought I'd let he irony remain.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Tuya
Depends on the uni, and I know that your mind reads what you're meant to be reading rather than what's actually there, especially when you've been reading it so many times previously.
Just be careful when filling out anything else, as if you make a similar mistake (such as the incorrect use of 'of' in the title of this thread, or the numerous grammer and spelling errors already on this thread by you) then the uni will probably think twice before they make you an offer.

*Grammar
Reply 6
Original post by CJG21
*Grammar

oh the irony :colone:
I'd imagine most personal statements are only skim-read anyway - they must have too many to get through to pore over every one. I wouldn't worry :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Musie Suzie
I'd imagine most personal statements are only skim-read anyway - they must have too many to get through to pore over every one. I wouldn't worry :smile:

Already called on one of my unis to explain, the lady laughed and said not to worry about it lols
Reply 9
Original post by CJG21
*Grammar

Thank you, I did spot that, but I thought I'd let the irony stand :biggrin:
Reply 10
Me too:|i wrote the wrong year of my GCSE exams...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I don't think it's anything to seriously worry about.

But for future reference, always get someone to proof read!
Don't worry you're not alone. I missed out "my" in "English has inspired [my] passion"... And I'm applying for English which is just embarrassing :/
Reply 13
Got an offer from Leicester this morning, I guess they missed the missing word :colone:
Reply 14
:L That was fortunate.
I dont think they will care too much unless you're going for English at a high up uni or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending