The Student Room Group

This is the most difficult time in my life..

Hi, basically I'm a girl..
I've known this guy for quite a while and everything started off as friends..
but we have always had the intention of seeing each other as 'potentials' not just a minor relationship or fling.
We really really like each other and everything was going good..
However, recently my mother found out I speak to this guy and she told him strictly 'never text my daughter again' and has told me to stay within my limits too..
She's told me I'm too young and should concentrate on my studies first and later in life I can always tell her about any guy I have in mind..
I haven't spoken to him for a couple of days because I don't want to break my parents' trust, but I am missing him terribly..
What do i do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi, basically I'm a girl..
I've known this guy for quite a while and everything started off as friends..
but we have always had the intention of seeing each other as 'potentials' not just a minor relationship or fling.
We really really like each other and everything was going good..
However, recently my mother found out I speak to this guy and she told him strictly 'never text my daughter again' and has told me to stay within my limits too..
She's told me I'm too young and should concentrate on my studies first and later in life I can always tell her about any guy I have in mind..
I haven't spoken to him for a couple of days because I don't want to break my parents' trust, but I am missing him terribly..
What do i do?

How old are you?
Reply 2
Are you Muslim or Indian by any chance?
Reply 3
Original post by DoctorInTraining
How old are you?

18 in a few months
Reply 4
Original post by akash11
Are you Muslim or Indian by any chance?

Muslim
Reply 5
Muslim

So I'm guessing that the boy you like isn't a Muslim?
Reply 6
Original post by chernid
So I'm guessing that the boy you like isn't a Muslim?

He is a Muslim too
Reply 7
He is a Muslim too

Oh, so the only reason why your mum doesn't want you talking to him is because she wants you to focus on your studies?

I think that in one way it's fair enough, as I presume you're currently doing your A-Levels and so you should be trying to get the best grades you can for University.

On the other hand, you should be able to do what you want really, and if the relationship messed up your grades or affected them in any way, at least you would know for sure that it was wrong, and you would know how to correct it in future.
18 in a few months

Take it you're living in the UK?

I can't relate to the culture issues but at 18 you need to set the tone of the relationship with your parents.

If you want to lead your own life - you might be best considering leaving home like going to uni...
Reply 9
Original post by chernid
Oh, so the only reason why your mum doesn't want you talking to him is because she wants you to focus on your studies?

I think that in one way it's fair enough, as I presume you're currently doing your A-Levels and so you should be trying to get the best grades you can for University.

On the other hand, you should be able to do what you want really, and if the relationship messed up your grades or affected them in any way, at least you would know for sure that it was wrong, and you would know how to correct it in future.

i totally agree with my parents telling me to concentrate on my studies, because i really don't want to fall behind..
i NEED to get to university..

but the question is, how do i get over him?
Reply 10
Take it you're living in the UK?

I can't relate to the culture issues but at 18 you need to set the tone of the relationship with your parents.

If you want to lead your own life - you might be best considering leaving home like going to uni...

yeah i live in the UK

well i'm 17 at the moment, still a baby in my parents' eyes lol

my parents' happiness is the most important thing for me which is why i have stopped talking to him.. but i can't pick up a new routine..
what am i supposed to do in the time i usually would have been speaking to him?

i'm going to uni next year but living at home..
Reply 11
i totally agree with my parents telling me to concentrate on my studies, because i really don't want to fall behind..

How often do you see him, like unintentionally?
yeah i live in the UK

well i'm 17 at the moment, still a baby in my parents' eyes lol

my parents' happiness is the most important thing for me which is why i have stopped talking to him.. but i can't pick up a new routine..
what am i supposed to do in the time i usually would have been speaking to him?

i'm going to uni next year but living at home..

I don't know what to say.

It is perfectly possible to fall in love, get amazing A levels and go university (I did all 3 in upper sixth) so I don't understand the reasoning.

More worryingly it's your life (and not your parents) and your happiness should be your priority.

I have lost count of the number of people I have meet who made choices based purely on their parents' wishes - who later really regret it!
Reply 13
Original post by Punishmen
Have you told him this yet? I take it you're in sixth form, so take it that her 'later in life' means until the end of A Levels when you'll be able to talk to her about it freely and 'un-concentrate'. If the relationship is worth anything to you both, you'll be able to wait.

no I couldn't tell him..
I haven't even spoken to him about it..
my mum found out and spoke to him immediately..
i don't even know how he is doing..whether he is upset or anything because i haven't spoken to him..

yes i'm doing my A-Levels and i'll be going to uni next year..
i think she expects me to tell her about a guy im considering at the age of 20-23
Reply 14
Original post by chernid
How often do you see him, like unintentionally?

i don't see him.. if i did it would be way harder..
he lives in another city
Reply 15
i don't see him.. if i did it would be way harder..
he lives in another city

How have you talked to him? Like just texting or Facebook and other social media?
Reply 16
Original post by chernid
How have you talked to him? Like just texting or Facebook and other social media?

How about you talk to him again. See how he's doing and feeling and everything, and then use that as a way to say goodbye. That way you will better closure regarding him and then it might be easier to move on.
Reply 17

Over time. Its great you thinking to concentrate on your studies and getting over him, cos its not easy and it feels like your 1st so yes it be a great learning thing for your life. Most people experience this at some point in their life, the pain of getting over someone.
Reply 18
I don't know what to say.

It is perfectly possible to fall in love, get amazing A levels and go university (I did all 3 in upper sixth) so I don't understand the reasoning.

More worryingly it's your life (and not your parents) and your happiness should be your priority.

I have lost count of the number of people I have meet who made choices based purely on their parents' wishes - who later really regret it!

it might because of my culture that my mum doesn't want me to be talking to a guy right now..
fair enough, i'm young i might not be making the right decisions..they know more than me because they are more experienced..
but come on, how can you expect someone to forget their love... *sigh* i'm in such a bad dilemma
Reply 19
Original post by chernid

texting/calling/skyping

as Muslims, we said we wouldn't meet unless our future is stable and if our parents agreed on our marriage..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending