The Student Room Group

Someone's annoying sick idea of prank calling me to death?

Recently, I've been getting a lot of withhelding calls on my landline, whenever I pick up, say "hello" or whatever, there's no sound, about a 2s pause, then the person hangs up.

This happens on a weekend at least 4 times, one day I got it as often as once every 10 minutes.

I'm 99% sure this is a person pranking because:

1.) On xmas there was no blank call spam, but immediately on the 2nd Jan onwards it started again. Additionally, the caller usually calls me around 4pm+ until 8-9pm, which seems to be someone's off-time.

2.) About a week before they started, someone, also calling from a withheld number, called me, asking me I knew who someone called "Steve" was, he was very cryptic and creepy and seemed to think I was joking around when I said I had no clue who he was, at the end of the call they simply tutt-ed and hung up.

That was around 2-3 months ago, and now the spam is neverending to the point where I don't say anything when I pick up a call and wait for someone to say something first.

I've not contacted my telephone provider to see if I can cancel out withheld calls yet, and my phone is pretty out of date (no screen to show the caller). What can I do because its really ****ing annoying.
Suggestion: Get caller ID

EDIT: Apologies, you say 'withheld'
Alternative suggestion: Ignore withheld calls for a few days
Get caller id?
Reply 4
Original post by locrian37
Recently, I've been getting a lot of withhelding calls on my landline, whenever I pick up, say "hello" or whatever, there's no sound, about a 2s pause, then the person hangs up.

This happens on a weekend at least 4 times, one day I got it as often as once every 10 minutes.

I'm 99% sure this is a person pranking because:

1.) On xmas there was no blank call spam, but immediately on the 2nd Jan onwards it started again. Additionally, the caller usually calls me around 4pm+ until 8-9pm, which seems to be someone's off-time.

2.) About a week before they started, someone, also calling from a withheld number, called me, asking me I knew who someone called "Steve" was, he was very cryptic and creepy and seemed to think I was joking around when I said I had no clue who he was, at the end of the call they simply tutt-ed and hung up.

That was around 2-3 months ago, and now the spam is neverending to the point where I don't say anything when I pick up a call and wait for someone to say something first.

I've not contacted my telephone provider to see if I can cancel out withheld calls yet, and my phone is pretty out of date (no screen to show the caller). What can I do because its really ****ing annoying.

Contact telephone provider.

If to no avail, get a new phone.
Reply 5
Just don't pick up. They'll get bored of it....hopefully
Get a new number, if possible. If it persists, contact the police. But call 101 (non-emergency number)
Reply 7
Original post by theOldBean
Suggestion: Get caller ID

EDIT: Apologies, you say 'withheld'
Alternative suggestion: Ignore withheld calls for a few days

Original post by Just Another Girly
Get caller id?

Original post by wannabeaca

Original post by tehforum
Contact telephone provider.

If to no avail, get a new phone.

Original post by cant_think_of_name
Get a new number, if possible. If it persists, contact the police. But call 101 (non-emergency number)

Hi, the number is withheld and so I cannot find his number with 1471, I hear that asking the telephone provider to cancel out withheld calls adds a service charge? I really don't want to spend money to let this troll i broke under pressure if I could.

Is it against the law to do spam calls (how would I contact the police about it?)

@1st reply: the person sometimes doesn't call for days, and one time the family was away from home several days and we found around 20-30 missed calls. the person started calling once a day and once I started picking up, it came more regular again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Stop answering the phone
Original post by locrian37
Hi, the number is withheld and so I cannot find his number with 1471, I hear that asking the telephone provider to cancel out withheld calls adds a service charge? I really don't want to spend money to let this troll i broke under pressure if I could.

Is it against the law to do spam calls (how would I contact the police about it?)

@1st reply: the person sometimes doesn't call for days, and one time the family was away from home several days and we found around 20-30 missed calls. the person started calling once a day and once I started picking up, it came more regular again.

I believe it's harassment. Call 101 - it's the non-emergency branch of the police :smile:
I once had calls from our local shop. When they did the tills, it did some electric thing which used to ring up a number, but it used to call our number first, then tick off and ring the proper number, was proper freaky!! Would make sense if it stopped around christmas time (aka closed for christmas)
Reply 11
Buy a whistle, if that still works that is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending