The Student Room Group

Joining the RN as an Officer after A Levels

Hey,

So I'm thinking about applying to the RN to be an Officer but I don't really have any military experience.

My family's been in the Army for four generations on either side, but I've not really done anything myself, if that makes sense. I'm 18 so I'm too old to join a cadet sqn and too young to become a CI.

So does anyone know of anything I can do in order to make my application more impressive?

Thank you. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by REHumphrey
Hey,

So I'm thinking about applying to the RN to be an Officer but I don't really have any military experience.

My family's been in the Army for four generations on either side, but I've not really done anything myself, if that makes sense. I'm 18 so I'm too old to join a cadet sqn and too young to become a CI.

So does anyone know of anything I can do in order to make my application more impressive?

Thank you. :smile:

What about university, then you can join the naval equivalent of the Army OTC.
Nobody has real 'military experience' before joining up, so don't worry about that.
Just get involved with lots of sports and outdoor activities, preferably something leadership based (coaching or instructing).
To be honest, when you apply they look at you as a person, not 'your application'. The Admiralty Interview Board tests physical fitness, intelligence etc, so a good performance in that is essential.
Just curious, but why the Navy? You're from an army family, why not join the army. What do your family think about it?
Reply 2
What about university, then you can join the naval equivalent of the Army OTC.
Nobody has real 'military experience' before joining up, so don't worry about that.
Just get involved with lots of sports and outdoor activities, preferably something leadership based (coaching or instructing).
To be honest, when you apply they look at you as a person, not 'your application'. The Admiralty Interview Board tests physical fitness, intelligence etc, so a good performance in that is essential.
Just curious, but why the Navy? You're from an army family, why not join the army. What do your family think about it?

Thank you so much. I was going to go to uni, and I have 5 offers so I will go if I'm unsuccessful in my application to the RN. It's really expensive to go to uni though, and if I join as an undergrad Officer I will have to do a foundation degree through Plymouth in maritime science or defence studies, and can choose to go on to do a full degree afterwards. It's sort of like an apprenticeship in that I'd be learning and working full time. I know that it's what I want to do, so I figure the sooner I start my career the better, right? (Is that logic right or have I missed something...)

My little sister's 17 and she's already joined the Army, and my brother intends to when he's old enough. My parents are being really supportive about it, they both agree that I'm not really an army kind of person anyway. I like the history, culture and tradition of the RN which really swayed my decision, and ships are just pretty cool anyway.

Ok, that's really good to know! I currently do karate at a pretty high level, but is that too individual? I suppose I could volunteer at scouts or brownies or something like that.

Thank you so so much, you've been incredibly helpful!
(edited 10 years ago)
If you have a chance to go to uni, go and go when you are 18. The RN will still be there and with better qualifications comes better prospects.
Reply 4
I'd suggest you book yourself onto a trip with on of the UK's sail training organsiations. If nothing else it will show the AIB that you've got some sea experience and that you are keen!

http://tallships.org/
http://jst.org.uk/
http://www.adventureundersail.com/
Reply 5
As a candidate who has just passed the AIB and is starting BRNC February without a degree, military history or anything of the sort I can tell you it's very doable. They are looking for people not statistics, that being said all of the other candidates at the board were graduates. I was a school prefect, was in the ATC for a short spell and led an Airsoft team. Nothing too impressive, a lot of the others had sporting achievements. I didn't know I wanted to be in the Navy up until the moment before I applied so I didn't tailor my life to it, I suggest you start your application now and just 'live a little'.
Reply 6
Thank you, everyone! You've all really helped. :smile:
I'm too student to do a sailing course (and my birthday's in October, so there's no way I can swing that one!) but I've found a kayaking and canoeing class at my sports centre. It's not the same, but it might help!

Good luck at BRNC, I hope you have a really good time! Thank you for your answer, it was really reassuring.

You're all lovely! Thank you so so much. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest