The Student Room Group

Girls; Do you feel safe walking home at night?

I think for me it depends. I don't feel safe walking through some routes in my home area but at university I have done it all. I told my mum I made my way back to my uni accom on my own at 2.00am from central London after clubbing and she blew her top.

I do get really paranoid walking home at night though and when I see a hooded figure is behind me I put my key between my third and fourth finger and make a fist :tongue:

Probably a bit sexist but I guess guys are more fine with it than girls.

Scroll to see replies

On a regular basis I don't feel safe walking home at night just because the area I live in is mainly full of chavs.
People walk home alone at night??????!!!
Reply 3
a question mark in the middle of your name? mate you're dodgy as ****, why would you be scared to walk at night?
Reply 4
Where I live for uni I feel fine as I live directly across from the train station, so I just cross the road and I'm home.

Where I'm from though, I don't feel safe at all. There are often chavs lurking, I have to walk past 2 parks which are renowned for general seediness, lots of weird guys just randomly parked and sitting in their cars. I avoid walking home alone as much as possible there.
It's rare for me to do so, I get too scared :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Depends. I don't like doing it, and my boyfriend doesn't let me because he gets worried :tongue:
Reply 7
I never feel safe walking home alone at night, at home or university. Last year a girl was found murdered in some woodlands a couple of roads away from my university house. I've heard too many stories of my friends walking and being followed in my areas, and the council have taken to shutting off some of the streetlights to save money. So sometimes I have to walk down pitch black roads.

I'm always constantly wary when walking alone at night, but cabs are too expensive and sometimes I can't take my route with friends. I'm always looking over my shoulder and keeping my keys in my hands, always have to be cautious.
Reply 8
Original post by smd4std
a question mark in the middle of your name? mate you're dodgy as ****, why would you be scared to walk at night?

You can talk with the initials STD in your name :tongue:

Original post by KJane
I never feel safe walking home alone at night, at home or university. Last year a girl was found murdered in some woodlands a couple of roads away from my university house. I've heard too many stories of my friends walking and being followed in my areas, and the council have taken to shutting off some of the streetlights to save money. So sometimes I have to walk down pitch black roads.

I'm always constantly wary when walking alone at night, but cabs are too expensive and sometimes I can't take my route with friends. I'm always looking over my shoulder and keeping my keys in my hands, always have to be cautious.

Glad I'm not the only one who does this.
Reply 9
Original post by Who?Knows
You can talk with the initials STD in your name :tongue:

Glad I'm not the only one who does this.

nice comeback love, you want some?
Original post by smd4std

If you're offering, I'll take some of your sweet lovin'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by smd4std

I'd end up making you cry, pet, so perhaps we better not :wink:
Reply 12
Original post by Who?Knows
I'd end up making you cry, pet, so perhaps we better not :wink:

we can decide on a safe word :wink:

also i can never work this double quote thing. hey qwertyking, i'd do you 'rite luv :wink:
I do the same thing with my keys :tongue:

It depends how far I have to walk really, I live in quite a dodgy part of London so try to avoid walking far home by myself. Although I guess I'd feel safer walking where I am as its quite busy than if I lived in a really rural and 'greeny' area
Reply 14
It depends. If its when the shops and other businesses are still open and theres still people out and about then yes although I would be a bit more on guard than I would be during the day (although saying that I was once accosted by a guy who then tried to drag me onto a building site a few years ago at 9pm). If its later on and the streets are empty then no I wouldnt and Id get a taxi.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I prefer not to, i mean if its busy streets im walking down then its fine but if its dead then no, i'll get a taxi. My friend always walks home herself though and she lives in quite a rough area, shes fearless :P
Reply 16
I've always felt safe walking home at night, but that's probably because my area is pretty safe.
Is there anyway you can walk home with a friend OP? How far is the walk?

I don't feel safe when I'm walking at night, I feel like I'm taking a chance whenever I do. I try to avoid it if I can, or tell someone that I'll call them when I'm home or something.
Reply 18
Why girls only? :hmmm: You know, guys can be scared too! :unimpressed: I always have my bag ready to smack someone if they try to touch me :nooo:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by gemmam
It depends. If its when the shops and other businesses are still open and theres still people out and about then yes although I would be a bit more on guard than I would be during the day (although saying that I was once accosted by a guy who then tried to drag me onto a building site a few years ago at 9pm). If its later on and the streets are empty then no I wouldnt and Id get a taxi.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:eek: That sounds horrible and frightening. How did you get away?

Original post by stargirl63
Is there anyway you can walk home with a friend OP? How far is the walk?

I don't feel safe when I'm walking at night, I feel like I'm taking a chance whenever I do. I try to avoid it if I can, or tell someone that I'll call them when I'm home or something.

Most times I can but sometimes I've gone partying with people who live in vastly different areas and had to go home alone. Could take a taxi but they are so expensive!

About a ten minute walk from the bus stop. The area is slightly dodgy but I've been ok so far.

Original post by ForgetMe
Why girls only? :hmmm: You know, guys can be scared too! :unimpressed: I always have my bag ready to smack someone if they try to touch me :nooo:

I meant no offence :redface: personally no guys have admitted to me that they are scared at night although maybe they are keeping it to themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending