The Student Room Group

Why Am I so Upset My Parents Are Divorcing - I'm 22!?

So I've moved back home after University and while my parents have been up and down for many years, I found out this evening that my Mum is moving out next week and in with another guy. For some reason I'm so upset by the situation but I feel ridiculous for having this reaction when I'm so old :/ I'm going to be living at home with my Dad for a little while and I just feel so sad about the whole situation really :frown: Has anyone experienced something similar?
Reply 1
You probably love them both. I would be sad too if my mum & dad lived apart... im 22
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm 20 soon and my parents are always arguing. I'm used to it now.

When I was 16-18 they filed for divorce and I was in between everything. Big contributor towards my depression.

I don't think there is anything 'ridiculous' about the way you feel. You grew up with them, presumably at least slightly loving each other. You always wanted it to work between them, it's the nuclear family ideal we all want to aspire to.

It's never nice when people divorce, and it's having a direct impact on the way you live.

It would hurt you at any age. Old people have feelings too :tongue:
My parents divorced when I was 14. I can understand how you feel, it does not matter how old you are the feeling is always the same. The first few months after my parents divorce I felt lost, but then I realised that it is better if both parents can have an independent, happy life rather than fighting all day and living together. You will eventually get over it, but it is definitely normal to be upset about this.
Reply 4
It's normal to be upset about your parents relationship breaking down no matter how old you are. In time you will get used to it. Don't let them involve you in their arguments.
I think that if your parent's separate/divorce when you're older and more aware of what's going on, it can be harder to deal with!

When my parents separated when I was 7, I didn't have a clue, even after they sold their martial house and we moved into a smaller house with my mum. As they never argued and my dad continued to pop in to visit after work, I hadn't realised anything was different and thought when my dad left at night, he was just going back to work. My mum eventually told me when she sussed I hadn't realised and whilst I was upset, embarrased because all my friend's parents were still together and for a while, jealous of her new boyfriend I got over it. I can barely remember my mum and dad being a couple. My parents still haven't bothered to get divorced 13 years later and are still very amicable so maybe that's why it's easier to deal with.
Because they're your parents. In most cases a person will always want his/her biological parents over some next dude or lady.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure I'd be really upset even if my parents were divorcing when I was like 40, they've always just rubbed along just lovely and seeing that end would be really sad.
I think it's entirely normal. Everything you've known about your home life is about to change, and that's always going to be a shock to the system, even if you didn't live at home anymore. It's probably an additional shock that your mum has been having an affair too, and possibly a bit betrayed / angry because of what she's done.

Actually, I'd think it really weird if you just sort of shrugged your shoulders and carried on like nothing had happened.

You're going to have to adjust to a new normal, but in time you'll manage it, and though it will feel strange for a long time to come yet, you'll eventually get used to it and you may even see that your parents are both happier with the new arrangements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending