The Student Room Group

Is getting an offer from Bristol University a big deal?

I got an offer from the University today, and all my Oxbridge-bound friends said "well done, Bristol is a good university", but I can't work out if they were being sarcastic/ patronising or genuine. So, is getting an offer from Bristol to read Law (LLB Hons) an achievement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If they're your friends, they probably meant it. Although getting into Bristol would probably not have posed much of a challenge to them, the fact of the matter is that we all have different levels of academic potential, and the same achievement could garner praise or sympathy depending on the individual.

If someone who struggled with illness and learning disabilities, but worked their socks off and managed to become the first in their family to go to university with BBB at A-level, then that would be a big deal.

At the same time, if a potentially Oxbridge-bound student messed around, flunked their AS- and A-levels and ended up going to the same university, I probably wouldn't even congratulate them.

The point is that whether or not getting into Law at Bristol is an achievement depends entirely on what you were capable of. Have you worked hard throughout your school career to beat all expectations? If so, then absolutely, it's a big deal. But if you were actually capable of much better, and just messed around over the last few years to end up where you are now, then there's not much to be proud of.
Reply 2
Only you could really decide if it's a big deal or not. All the statistics show that Bristol is a respectable university and provides their students with a lot of opportunities. If that is your first or second choice university then be ecstatic. If not, be content.

I congratulate you, though.
Obvious attention seeker is obvious.
Why are you so fussed about what your friends think? If you are going to base every decision, thought process and opinion on what 'they' think?

Are you pleased? Great. Go with that. Stop looking around for everyone else's 'approval'.
Original post by returnmigrant
Why are you so fussed about what your friends think? If you are going to base every decision, thought process and opinion on what 'they' think?

This

Also they're not going to uni with you so if they are being sarcastic screw em you'll be making new friends soon.
Reply 6
If it's somewhere you'd really like to go, then yes it's a big deal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending