The Student Room Group

Life is easier when you're pretty

Pretty people are more likely to get what they want. Friends, attention from the opposite sex, jobs...They don't have to work so hard on their depth of character, they can afford to be more arrogant and end up with more confidence and more charisma than your average ugly person. Not so pretty people have to work harder to achieve the same level and are discounted rather more easily.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spiral87
Pretty people are more likely to get what they want. Friends, attention from the opposite sex, jobs...They don't have to work so hard on their depth of character, they can afford to be more arrogant and end up with more confidence and more charisma than your average ugly person. Not so pretty people have to work harder to achieve the same level and are discounted rather more easily.

Discuss.

While I do agree with all of that post, I feel the other side of it is missing. They're more likely to be pursued (both for employment and relationships), for their looks and not for who they are. They are also under a lot of pressure and high expectations, because of the way they look. They also may be perceived to be dumber than average looking people. Often when beauty fades, they may feel they cannot do anything. Average looking women may view them as a rival. Some people may think that they get by on their looks, so a general lack of respect.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think you'll walk into a job interview looking all beautiful and you'll get the job. You need brains to survive these days. Nobody cares about looks that much
Reply 3
A combination of intelligence and good looks is really the winning formula.
Reply 4
True to an extent, but intelligence is also essential nowadays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I would prefer to say

Life is harder when you ugly.
Being ugly just means you're playing life on hard mode. Life's not fair, and you have to do the best you can with what you've got.
Hmm I think you may be correct (to an extent) but I think it's more to do with the increased confidence that goodlooking people tend to have
Reply 8
It is amazing how women are well on their way to dominate industries where prettiness and the ability to charm males is valuable eg : barristers.
Reply 9
OP are you referring to men or women in your post, or both?
Reply 10
Original post by Bridget Jones
While I do agree with all of that post, I feel the other side of it is missing. They're more likely to be pursued (both for employment and relationships), for their looks and not for who they are. They are also under a lot of pressure and high expectations, because of the way they look. They also may be perceived to be dumber than average looking people. Often when beauty fades, they may feel they cannot do anything. Average looking women may view them as a rival. Some people may think that they get by on their looks.

Naturally, there is that other side, but when you are that person, you generally do not care. Most of the people who meet me don't actually know how deep my 'substance' runs, I used to flaunt it a lot more before I 'found' beauty as a way to gain people's respect and nobody cared. Now if I mention what I've done with my life, they seem to care so much more.

Perhaps we all have to deal with the fact that humans are incredibly superficial creatures and we have to live by our own standards.
Yeah. Tbh I think it's so obvious that it basically goes without saying. :p:

I'm sure I've read studies where facial attractiveness altered results over whether members of the public thought someone was guilty of a fictional crime.
Reply 12
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I don't think you'll walk into a job interview looking all beautiful and you'll get the job. You need brains to survive these days. Nobody cares about looks that much

That really is wishful thinking. If you can find sites of law firms who publish pictures of their new trainees - they are very rarely any ugs amongst them.

I think in general, in the real world you'll find the opposite is true. Ugly, overqualified people with chips on their shoulders are ten a penny. Good-looking people aren't. A lot of people recognise good-looks as a marketable quality in its own right. And why not?
Reply 13
Original post by Clip
I think in general, in the real world you'll find the opposite is true. Ugly, overqualified people with chips on their shoulders are ten a penny. Good-looking people aren't. A lot of people recognise good-looks as a marketable quality in its own right. And why not?

Is "it's unfair" a good enough answer?
Reply 14
Is "it's unfair" a good enough answer?

This is exactly what I mean about people with a chip on their shoulder.

Why is it unfair for good-looks to be a personal quality? It's no more unfair than being born smart. Some people will tell you they work hard at their academia. Some people work very hard at their personal presentation and making themselves beautiful.

In the world of work, you'll tend to find that most people are fairly incompetent, regardless of their level of education - so you might as well hire the ones that are pleasant to look at.
Original post by Clip

Why is it unfair for good-looks to be a personal quality? It's no more unfair than being born smart. Some people will tell you they work hard at their academia. Some people work very hard at their personal presentation and making themselves beautiful.

In the world of work, you'll tend to find that most people are fairly incompetent, regardless of their level of education - so you might as well hire the ones that are pleasant to look at.

I agree with this. I get annoyed when people moan about attractive people doing well in certain careers where looks matter "because they didn't work for it". People are born with various abilities. If looking good is one, so be it. Do you begrudge someone for being smarter? Or for being a better musician?

And appearance does take work, yes some people are more blessed than others, but everyone can get to a decent standard with effort.

I don't think this means attractive people are automatically nice people, or better people than ugly people though
Reply 16

Discuss.

not in all careers, in intellectual and executive roles, the need is to prove you have the brains and talent beyond the superficial- good for a modeling job, not great for a CEO
Reply 17

Discuss.

Totally agree but the playing field evens out a lot more as people get older
and lose their looks

Pretty people have more to fear from the aging process than those who are plain/ugly
Reply 18
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
Being ugly just means you're playing life on hard mode. Life's not fair, and you have to do the best you can with what you've got.

Basically this.
Reply 19
Original post by Clip

I was born screaming my face off and made goo goo ga ga noises for the first few years of my life. I worked hard from the age of 2 onwards to change that. And this is the issue, an uneducated person can always learn. Someone without substance can strive to grow. A physically unattractive person is stuck with the body they have. I'd rather be judged on my academia than my ability to apply foundation and eyeliner.

Incompetence isn't down to a lack of intelligence, but a lack of common sense. These days, people are utterly stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending