The Student Room Group

Opinions on child leashes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hilarious and functional.

It probably beats having one rush off into traffic or smacking into people. Probably quite handy in places like the airport, too.
Would be better tied round their necks !!!!
Original post by lillith
I am a mum of 5 so an authority on everything about parenting (:wink:)..

Yes you are. You trump me by +1 child :tongue:
Original post by lecornergirl
in a general context, yeah -- but at heathrow airport when you have three children and four bags to look after with just the one pair of eyes and hands, i think it's the safer option by far. plus, we made the same trip annually (we were living abroad at the time) so she'd been doing it since the older one started to walk. it was equal parts habit and security by the point i mentioned, as well as the security generated by habit :tongue:

but yeah, i don't remember her using the leashes much outside of airports regardless of my siblings' age.

gonna have to agree with alibee, sorry, 6 is still definitely too old for reigns. 4 is pushing it but my 6 year old would be mortified if I used reigns with him.
They just shouldn't need it at that age.
We're off on holiday in August, and my kids will all be pulling their OWN luggage.

Well anyway, that's that really. Your mum did what she thought was best I guess. Not my children, not my business, that's what I generally say. (Unless it was something horrific obviously, but if it's just something like leashes I don't exactly interfere, regardless of my opinion).
Reply 24
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Yes you are. You trump me by +1 child :tongue:

We sort of draw as one is a step child!
Original post by lillith
We sort of draw as one is a step child!

I'll give you that as a 0.5 :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Daniellejo.
So I've heard a lot of people complain about parents treating their kids like dogs and how it's disgusting etc. but I really don't see the problem?
It's better than keeping your kid in a pram or carrying them if they want to walk around. And if you're holding their hand constantly then it's not really allowing them much space to do it. Not to mention that having your kid run off around streets and such is not a pleasant idea.
I'd agree that when I see them on some older kids it's ridiculous and restrictive. But when they're at the age when they're just starting to want to walk around on their own I think they're fine.

I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on this. Obviously I've never had to care for a child myself so I'm open to changing my opinion.
??

I think it's great ... :smile: My mum used it with us and your child has that freedom of moving around within your distance and the mother knows their child is safe!
Reply 27
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I'll give you that as a 0.5 :biggrin:

Deal. High 5. :biggrin:
Wait, do you mean leash (something tied around the neck), or one of those harness things that everyone uses?
Reply 29
Original post by Telecaster Steak
Wait, do you mean leash (something tied around the neck), or one of those harness things that everyone uses?

A harness, they're quite regularly referred to as leashes though.
Obviously noone's condoning parents walking around strangling their children. :K:
Its better than toddlers running onto the road
I'd use it on a kid up to about 4, but not over 4..Though it would depend on the behaviour of the child!
We used a hoop sort of thing (string of hoops linked together) at the nursery I worked at, when kids age 3 and 4 went out a walk we made them hold onto a hoop each - kept them together and walking at a same pace, same sort of thing really!
Original post by Daniellejo.
A harness, they're quite regularly referred to as leashes though.
Obviously noone's condoning parents walking around strangling their children. :K:

Thanks for clearing that up. It says a lot about how long I've been on these forums that I thought you meant the sort of leashes you'd use on a dog!

On topic, I see absolutely no problem with them (unless used with children too old for them), they are, of course, designed not to be harmful to the child. I suppose they could be abused, but that would say more about the parents than the leash itself.
Reply 33
Oh god I hated it when I was a kid. 😩 My mum had to use it on me, after she thought I went missing in the shop and had to get the security guy announcing if anyone has seen a small Asian girl with big brown eyes :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Fine for very young children ie. under four. My mum used them on my brother and I when we were younger and my sister occasionally uses them on my nephew whose three.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I used to think that they were degrading for kids, just let them run around. But then my good friend had a baby, when he turned 2 and went insane, she had to keep him on a leash to keep him from running off everywhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending