The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Fresher at the University of Sheffield. Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dusky Mauve
How do people get back to Endcliffe after a night out?? Taxi??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually taxi, the buses are crap at night and not too much cheaper if you have a full taxi.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by SnakehipsTTC
My entire social life at uni is based around the halls I live in, but I'm sure if you get really involved in some societies then it'll okay. I personally think you should go for halls, 2 girls in my flat have their boyfriends come over to stay a weekend quite often and they have a roaring social life too. This just for Sheffield though, why not live in halls in sheffield and see him often?

How often would he be allowed to stay over before it became unacceptable?? Never more than one night at a time, but once a week would be nice.

I'm planning on doing lots of dance so hopefully I'll make friends there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Usually taxi, the buses are crap at night and not too much cheaper if you have a full taxi.

This. Or you just bum a spot in a taxi off some first years who are in halls.... Still living in Broomhill, I have to do this a LOT, because most of my friends live Crookes/ Crookesmoor/ Walkley...
How often would he be allowed to stay over before it became unacceptable?? Never more than one night at a time, but once a week would be nice.

I'm planning on doing lots of dance so hopefully I'll make friends there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The girls in our flat have their bf's sometimes stay round for 3 or 4 days a time. And we don't mind at all because they're a good laugh, and they don't inconvenience us in the slightest. I'm sure he'd be welcome as often as anyone else living in halls. My flatmates girlfriend, who he met at uni is pretty much our honorary flatmate! I just think that if you don't live in halls you won't get an as good social life as those who do. I also think it's important not to base your life so much around your SO when you're so young.
Original post by carys_m00
Does anyone here know anything about
English and French courses? Really interested
in studying in Sheffield, but need to know
more basically! Also, thanks to everyone
contributing previously, so helpful to read
about accommodation etc..

I know a fair amount about the English lit course, a girl I know well does it so I get a good low down of all her poetry work ect! If you have a specific question I can ask her if you want?
The girls in our flat have their bf's sometimes stay round for 3 or 4 days a time. And we don't mind at all because they're a good laugh, and they don't inconvenience us in the slightest. I'm sure he'd be welcome as often as anyone else living in halls. My flatmates girlfriend, who he met at uni is pretty much our honorary flatmate! I just think that if you don't live in halls you won't get an as good social life as those who do. I also think it's important not to base your life so much around your SO when you're so young.

That's so good! Some halls are really strict about people staying over :frown:
I've got a good balance between friends and boyfriend at the moment (I think) and I think I'm leaning towards halls in Sheffield rather than moving to Loughborough now. When he was at uni it was tough, and I don't really want to go through all that again. It also gives me some security in that I can move back home at any time if anything disastrous happens!
Reply 106
I know a fair amount about the English lit course, a girl I know well does it so I get a good low down of all her poetry work ect! If you have a specific question I can ask her if you want?

Well is there much choice? like of modules, and an area to focus on etc? does she enjoy, nice tutors/lecturers? is there a lot of poetry? thank you! :smile:
Reply 107
Freshers week is an absolute mixed bag. me and my flat instantly gelled on the first night and have been great friends ever since, and it was never really awkward. The general week was drinking every night and doing all the freshers events and signing up during the day, and was absolutely exhausting

As for nights, DON'T do sheffield parties. It's expensive and full of Hallam people in bad clubs. We went to a paint party in Leadmill which is still one of the best nights out I've had, and the beach party in the union on the first day, plus others during the week. Go to corp on the wednesday and pop tarts on the saturday. Try to organise something with your flat over facebook before you all meet like we did. Any other questions then please ask.

That's good and yeah it seems like people have had all sorts of different experiences.

Hmm I was pretty certain that I was going to at least go to one event since it looked like fun from the promo videos but I don't think I'm going to go anymore since from what I've heard, it doesn't sound any good. Yeah I think I might do that. Thanks for the advice :biggrin:
Ooh, and could someone let me know if applying for a room with a double bed will be any disadvantage socially? Like, are they just rooms in flats with single bedrooms too? Or are there flats with just double bedrooms??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooh, and could someone let me know if applying for a room with a double bed will be any disadvantage socially? Like, are they just rooms in flats with single bedrooms too? Or are there flats with just double bedrooms??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I checked this with our accommodation team for you and this is what they said:

"Most deluxe rooms are mixed into flats that also have single rooms, there are just a couple with all deluxe rooms."

So there should be no social disadvantage if you decide to opt for a double room :smile:

Rooms with double beds (deluxe rooms) are available in the Endcliffe Village in the following residencies: Burbage, Cratcliffe and Howden. There are also some delux rooms at the City and Central Campus, but none at Ranmoor.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield.
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi,

I checked this with our accommodation team for you and this is what they said:

"Most deluxe rooms are mixed into flats that also have single rooms, there are just a couple with all deluxe rooms."

So there should be no social disadvantage if you decide to opt for a double room :smile:

Rooms with double beds (deluxe rooms) are available in the Endcliffe Village in the following residencies: Burbage, Cratcliffe and Howden. There are also some delux rooms at the City and Central Campus, but none at Ranmoor.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes

Georgie, Student Communications Team at the University of Sheffield.

That's great, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just stumbled across this site after months of inactivity due to being extremely busy at university. I remember how would have loved to see a thread like this when I was applying, so thought I may as well make one!

A bit about myself: I'm a first year studying mechanical engineering, and currently living in Endliffe accommodation in a mixed sex flat of 10. I took a gap year before i came here, as did many of the people in my block, and I absolutely love it here! I am also doing some accommodation tours at the moment so if you get a tall skinny guy showing you around it may well be me!

If you have any questions about the application process, accommodation, uni-life, living on your own, taking a gap year or anything else related just ask and I'll do my best to answer. :smile:

Hi, I'm planning to go to this uni, since everything about it seems great! I'm an international student but I was wondering..did you have any international students in your flat? (or did you know an international on the next flat etc.)
I applied for accommodation in Endcliffe but as I look at other Sheffield threads, I notice that not many internationals prefer Endcliffe nor Ranmoor, (im guessing they rather be in the accommodation closer to uni, and I suppose some international students would rather be with OTHER international students)

But to be honest, I don't mind if I end up in a flat being the only international student there. It would be cool and very different. Plus I'm quite open-minded when it comes to other cultures and respecting others so It would be great in my opinion to be in a flat with all British students :biggrin:
Original post by Alanisita
Hi, I'm planning to go to this uni, since everything about it seems great! I'm an international student but I was wondering..did you have any international students in your flat? (or did you know an international on the next flat etc.)
I applied for accommodation in Endcliffe but as I look at other Sheffield threads, I notice that not many internationals prefer Endcliffe nor Ranmoor, (im guessing they rather be in the accommodation closer to uni, and I suppose some international students would rather be with OTHER international students)

But to be honest, I don't mind if I end up in a flat being the only international student there. It would be cool and very different. Plus I'm quite open-minded when it comes to other cultures and respecting others so It would be great in my opinion to be in a flat with all British students :biggrin:

I knew an international on Endcliffe, well in fact I knew him vaguely from an internet community and turns out he went to the same university...and was also living on Endcliffe :tongue: small world
Reply 113
Hi, do you know if ther's a way to take a language course that would be included in my tuition, even if I don't have any unrestrictive modules? I have read about the "language for all programme" but it says it's only with degrees with unrestrcited modules :frown:
Reply 114
Hi there, I need help ASAP. I got an offer from Sheffield 'Accounting and Financial management' Course with a conditional offer of DDM (320 UCAS Points) and I'm afraid I might not reach the target and I might get DMM (280 UCAS Points). I was wondering how lenient is the course because I REALLY want to go Sheffield and I feel lucky receiving the offer. I am wondering how lenient Sheffield is if you come short of a grade. Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by jo95
Hi, do you know if ther's a way to take a language course that would be included in my tuition, even if I don't have any unrestrictive modules? I have read about the "language for all programme" but it says it's only with degrees with unrestrcited modules :frown:

You're able to take language courses outside your main course, dw. I did German last year, it was one 3 hour session once a week. It was £250 for both semesters, and I'm pretty sure it was included in my tuition since I wasn't chased for it. But yeah German, French, Spanish, Italian, and probs a few others I'm forgetting are options!
Original post by jo95

There is always a way to do that. Either choose a language module as part of your course, or if you don't get the opportunity go through the languages for all programme, it's very easy to do. You'll get emails about it when you start. :smile:
Hi, I was just wondering if you know how lenient Sheffield are with grades on results day for clearing/adjustment? :3
Hey, I was wondering where most people do their food shopping in encliffe? Are there any big supermarkets near by or is it just mainly convenience stores? Also how's the bar in the student village, do they put on a lot events? Finally don't suppose you know if there are places near encliffe that do pub quizzes? Like a cheeky pub quiz now and again.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 119
Hi there, I need help ASAP. I got an offer from Sheffield 'Accounting and Financial management' Course with a conditional offer of DDM (320 UCAS Points) and I'm afraid I might not reach the target and I might get DMM (280 UCAS Points). I was wondering how lenient is the course because I REALLY want to go Sheffield and I feel lucky receiving the offer. I am wondering how lenient Sheffield is if you come short of a grade. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending