The Student Room Group

Learning to drive, confusion

Okay, so when I turn a corner my instructor tells me to put the car in 2nd and when i stop at traffic lights my instructor tells me to put the car in 1st gear. but when I pull up to the side of the road, the car can be left in 3rd gear, then neutral. Why is this?

Thanks
Original post by thestars
Okay, so when I turn a corner my instructor tells me to put the car in 2nd and when i stop at traffic lights my instructor tells me to put the car in 1st gear. but when I pull up to the side of the road, the car can be left in 3rd gear, then neutral. Why is this?

Thanks

When turning, 2nd gear would probably be a good choice to match with the kind of speed you'd be doing - you wouldn't want to be going too fast round corners as you won't have good control of the car. When you're stopped at traffic lights, the car will need to be in 1st or else the car will struggle and you'll most likely stall. I would think your instructor will tell you to put it in neutral when you are stopped at the side of the road and apply the handbrake) as you are pulling up to stop for a period of time so the car is secure and won't go anywhere (I doubt if you're stopped for a long period of time you'd want to have your feet on the brake and clutch with it in 1st for all that time!) whereas at traffic lights you'll keep it in 1st as you're only stopped for a short period of time until the lights turn to green.
I'm no expert, just someone who is taking their test this month :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Thanks

Rather than think about what you are doing, think about what you are going to do next. When turning a corner, what are you going to do next? Well, continue to drive up the road. So the most logical gear to be in is second. When you are stopped at traffic lights, what's next? Pulling away when the light goes green - so you are in 1st gear because that is the best gear to pull away. Finally, when you are stopping, what's next? Well you don't know that you are going to drive off, so you secure the car, in neutral, handbrake on!
Reply 3

Thanks

you can stop in any gear

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending