The Student Room Group

Best Places To Visit In The UK?

There's a lot of cities I haven't visited yet, so I'm planning to go round them this spring before all the tourists hit :smile:

What are the nicest places/cities to go to? Also, is it weird to travel solo if you're from here? I've pretty much only been to the places friends/family are from :lol:

Scroll to see replies

ports, airports, channel tunnel - basically anything that gets you off and away from the place
Reply 2
Original post by silverbolt
ports, airports, channel tunnel - basically anything that gets you off and away from the place

Lol :tongue: why aren't you a fan of the UK?
Original post by Serendipitee
Lol :tongue: why aren't you a fan of the UK?

cos i had the misfortune of living in birmingham for a decade
Reply 4
Original post by silverbolt
cos i had the misfortune of living in birmingham for a decade

The City Centre is alright :dontknow: Not all of the UK is that bad, some places up North are very pretty though :yep:
Reply 5
Highlands of Scotland & Orkney
Snake Pass
Anglesey

:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by samba
Snake Pass
Anglesey

Reply 7

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Pass

Don't listen to those who say 'it's all **** here' - I'm lucky enough to have had spent considerable time in the remote areas of Iceland and Canada [and a holiday to greenland], and those areas match up without question!
Reply 8
Original post by samba
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Pass

Don't listen to those who say 'it's all **** here' - I'm lucky enough to have had spent considerable time in the remote areas of Iceland and Canada [and a holiday to greenland], and those areas match up without question!

Thank you :biggrin:

Yes, the British countryside is quite something! Gotta get my hiking boots on :borat:
Of the places that I've visited near where I live, I'd most recommend Newcastle, Durham and York, particularly for their historical buildings.
Since when did Britain have nice places? Only nice place I know of is chicken shop.
I'd say London and some places up north in Scotland. Although, Birmingham is supposedly more popular with tourists.. No idea why...
Reply 12
Not London (if you want a true British scene, since It's like comparing Paris and France).
I'd recommend the historical cities/towns that haven't been bombed (eg York, Bath, Harrogate, Buxton, Durham, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, etc) and Newcastle.
(edited 10 years ago)
There's a lot of cities I haven't visited yet, so I'm planning to go round them this spring before all the tourists hit :smile:

What are the nicest places/cities to go to? Also, is it weird to travel solo if you're from here? I've pretty much only been to the places friends/family are from :lol:

Cities (baring London): Bath, Cambridge, Edinburgh, York.
Countryside- Cornwall, the Cotswolds (towns in Gloucestershire & Oxfordshire e.g. Stow on the Wold), Scottish Highlands, Lake District, Yorkshire Moors, Isle of Wight (although as I discovered last summer most tourist attractions are aimed at little kids)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by samba
Snake Pass
Anglesey

Orkney x100000! I'm from there and I actually can't encourage a visit enough, it's lovely :smile:
Reply 15
Cornwall, the Cotswolds or the Scottish Highlands definitely.
Reply 16
I think paris is the best place to visit.
(edited 10 years ago)
St Ives
Bath
Portmeirion
The New Forest, Lyndhurst
Brighton
Rye
Shanklin/Ventnor, (IOW)
Builth Wells
Southend-on-Sea
Clacton-on-Sea
Sheringham
Llandudno
Manchester
Liverpool
Buxton
Rydal
Kilmarnock
Edinburgh
Aberdeen
Stirling
Perth
Reply 18
working south up:

London,
Oxford or Cambridge (2 incredibly beautiful university towns),
York,
Keswick (the lake district - v beautiful)
Newcastle,
Durham,
Beadnell,
Gretna Green,
Edinburgh,
Creiff/Comrie or Aberfeldy,
Aviemore,
Fort Augustus (loch ness),
Inverness (short stay will suffice :wink:,
Findhorn (most beautiful place ive ever been),
Randolph's Leap,
Bonar Bridge,
John O'Groats,
Orkney and Shetland (never been but supposedly beautiful)

Hope this helps. Having been a reasonably well travelled Brit myself - been to Asia, Africa, US and many European countries - Scotland is one of the most beautiful places ive ever been
Reply 19
I agree with the people here with York,Edinghburgh, Newcastle, Bath etc.
But I have to say Bristol is a really nice city as well - plently of nightlife, shopping, restaurants and museums.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest