The Student Room Group

Boys, please speak to me about kisses at the end of texts!

I'm a girl, I've texted a fair few guys in my lifetime, and I was wondering....

Are kisses important in text exchanges?

Normally I don't fuss about them, I usually put none or one, depending on who I'm talking to, but it doesn't really bother me.

But guys I have texted tend to increase the number of x s from time to time, I'm assuming to indicate increased interest. But if I don't mirror the increase, the number of kisses stays as it was before. I always found this a bit silly and pedantic, because there are better and more fun ways to express interest- however the guys I've known haven't really got this, and they tend to take no increases of kisses to mean "I'm not interested".

Why do guys do this? Why is it so important to them?
Is it a big deal?!? What is the point?? Do most guys do this??

I just feel a bit silly and cringey when I join in. I don't even know how you'd define the difference between "x" and "xxx".....

Talk to me!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a girl, I've texted a fair few guys in my lifetime, and I was wondering....

Are kisses important in text exchanges?

Normally I don't fuss about them, I usually put none or one, depending on who I'm talking to, but it doesn't really bother me.

But guys I have texted tend to increase the number of x s from time to time, I'm assuming to indicate increased interest. But if I don't mirror the increase, the number of kisses stays as it was before. I always found this a bit silly and pedantic, because there are better and more fun ways to express interest- however the guys I've known haven't really got this, and they tend to take no increases of kisses to mean "I'm not interested".

Why do guys do this? Why is it so important to them?
Is it a big deal?!? What is the point?? Do most guys do this??

I just feel a bit silly and cringey when I join in. I don't even know how you'd define the difference between "x" and "xxx".....

Talk to me!!

I'm not too sure why that is. Just know, not every guy is the same xx
Reply 2
No it's too soppy for me. Usually, I'd just do one when I say good night but never this "omg i had such a good time babes xxxxxxx".

Every guy is different anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by SHOO
I'm not too sure why that is. Just know, not every guy is the same xx

Okay thanks for the advice xxxx
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Okay thanks for the advice xxxx

Haha no problem xxxxxx

Nah but honestly, every guy is different..

Personally, I wouldn't even add a 'x' unless I really mean it. Everything that I type to someone I honestly mean.. I don't really agree with the excessive 'xxxxxxxxxxx's but eh, each to their own right?
Us men are conscious of the fact that you're so far ahead of us in social situations that we over analyse everything just to keep the **** up.
My guy friends don't send me x unless they are saying goodnight or saying thank you..

Anything more than 2 is cringey..
Reply 7
It's usually girls that do this... I'll go along with it up to 4 kisses but after that they're starting to take the piss
I think you're overthinking it tbh.

The amount of 'x's I send depends on my mood, the topic, how many they sent, etc. so it's pretty much just random
Reply 9
I've never talked to a guy who used more than about 3 kisses without being under the influence or tongue in cheek unless he was interested, but it'd depend on personality entirely. Judge it case by case for sure. Maybe ask others about if they do it with them, if its not too weird.
I'd say you need to stop texting boys and start texting MANLY MEN,

Then no more of that kissy texty nonsense.

(On topic: I don't send kisses to anyone via text except my girlfriend when I say good night.)
Reply 11
Original post by UWS
No it's too soppy for me. Usually, I'd just do one when I say good night but never this "omg i had such a good time babes xxxxxxx".

Every guy is different anyway.

I'm exactly the same. I'd only send it when saying goodnight depending on who it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it's a big deal. Some guys do it to show interest I guess, but mostly it's random and most guys wouldn't do it at all, except saying goodnight mostly. How old are these boys?

If you want to show interest but not with cringey kisses make a cheeky comment about it.
I knew a guy who put like 3 at the end and I am female and I never really used to send x's to guys cause I thought they'd find it weird, so I felt I had to mirror what the guy put otherwise I felt bad so I used to put 3 like he did and when he increased it or decreased it so did I. I only ever put x's to my female friends cause I fear guys will take it the wrong way.

I think all guys see it differently - probably depends on how they feel. The guy I talked to had a gf so I don't think it means necessarily that they're interested in you in that way. :smile:
I guess every guy has there own 'system' as does every girl. For me, I just mirror what they do and send the x at length, when they do.

It depends though, as you said it depends who I'm talking to but I think the best thing to do I suss them out as it depends on their tendencies, some may think it's necessary while talking to a girl; I have some friend who are guys that write xs too, just don't worry about it though it is kinda silly lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wish people would stop overthinking this :P. Surely you can tell more from the actual words used during the conversation, and the way you are around each other, than you can from a few xxs at the end of a text.

My boyfriend has ALWAYS overthought this - to the extent that even after FIVE YEARS of knowing each other (most of which were spent dating) he STILL replies using the exact number of xs that I put in my previous message. It drives me mad, but sometimes I will send loads because I know he will sit & count them ha ha.
I personally use Smiley's a lot regardless of who I'm talking to :smile:

(Whilst keeping a straight face, mind) :P
Reply 17
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
I'd say you need to stop texting boys and start texting MANLY MEN,

Then no more of that kissy texty nonsense.

(On topic: I don't send kisses to anyone via text except my girlfriend when I say good night.)
I'm the same, pretty much - except I have a couple of very close female friends I do it with, they do it and with certain people it doesn't seem inappropriate.
Reply 18
I'm a girl and have never sent an x to anyone (girls nor boys) ever, I'm really anti-soppy in that way.
But I do find it weird when boys send it, especially when they know I won't send it back :confused:
I also find it to be kind of unmanly (sorry).
Reply 19
and boys who send it to their boy mates is a whole 'nother story...

Latest

Trending

Trending